Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just getting started - Page 2 Toplef10Just getting started - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just getting started - Page 2 I22gcj10Just getting started - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just getting started - Page 2 Toplef10Just getting started - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just getting started - Page 2 I22gcj10Just getting started - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just getting started

+8
camprn
AnnD
RoOsTeR
Daniel9999
quiltbea
kbb964
givvmistamps
Don T
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Just getting started - Page 2 Empty Re: Just getting started

Post  givvmistamps 5/7/2012, 8:16 pm

What a cute photo! It's perfect for a scrapbook page. Hooray for getting the garden going!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/7/2012, 8:29 pm

Wow, your garden looks great, Don! Can't wait to see it when those plants are full size!
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/7/2012, 9:01 pm

AnnD wrote:He looks so thoroughly absorbed by it all!! hope the other enjoy it as much and yes, the rain is surely a good omen, what a wonderful start!! I must learn how to post pictures, it is fantastic to see other peoples gardens.

Ann, go to photobucket.com and create an account. It is free. Upload the photos either from your phone or computer. Then when it is loaded put your cursor over the photo and a little box appears. There are 4 types of links there. Choose the bottom one. This should be the one that starts with [IMG]. Click on it and it copies automatically. Then paste this onto your Thread when you post or reply. Very simple. It is a little more diffuclt to do the entire thing on an I phone but I have all kinds of problems doing anything with that small of a device.

Don

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I am pretty happy with the way it came out. The wife is coming home tonight from a trip so I hope she likes it. I think she will.
Don T
Don T

Male Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Just getting started - Page 2 Empty thanks Don!!

Post  AnnD 5/8/2012, 7:16 pm

Great advice about he photo's, however had 4 hours without electric and friends are having a whale of time laughing at the thought that I brought down the national grid in a technophobic attempt at uploading photos to a web forum (never been on a forum before let alone "upload" something Very Happy Obviously is was a local electricity fault but hilarious none the less, however....that gave me time to plant up my two new beds, didn't wait for the cages or book to arrive, just threw a bit of netting over (now want to camp outside and protect my baby seedling like I gave birth to them!)

Will defnitely post a picture soon, very sad compared to your lovely garden but I am immensely proud I even managed to shovel all the soil in let alone get some edible green baby seed leaves out of a seed and into some soil!!

I was amazed that even after all the rain we have had it takes a lot to wet that new soil mix, and at how light (and blissfully easy to plant into) it is. Very worried about firming things in, that is my inclination being a flower grower, firm in or - shock horror - heel in !! I guess I shoudn't do it excessively but enough to give a seedling anchorage? who knows, but I took the approach that who dares wins, firmed some in and less so others. I now have a "very detailed list" of what, where, when and the method - it is like an Agatha Christie!!!

sun all day after planting - not so good, torrential rain now - even worse???

I will be out there first thing in the morning sawing logs

Last edited by AnnD on 5/8/2012, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : lot of typos - v. tired!!)
AnnD
AnnD

Female Posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/8/2012, 10:28 pm

I found out from my neighbor that Sweet 100 tomatoes will set fruit all summer long. It looks like I have to get my wife some because she loves tomatoes. I will probably look around a little more for some other thing to plant while I'm there.

Darn! I'm addicted. I guess the next box is at the camp. Already have the vermiculite.
Don T
Don T

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/8/2012, 11:35 pm

Ah, Don, what a wonderful thing to be addicted to! I hadn't heard that about Sweet 100's, but I did read today that the reason tomatoes don't set fruit during the summer is because they won't pollinate above a certain temperature (don't recall what that temp was, of course, but I'll find it again). Obviously, thought, in our Southern regions it gets too darn hot for most tomato varieties to self-pollinate. At least now I know what tomatoes to look for, for next summer; thanks for sharing that info! What a Face
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/8/2012, 11:47 pm

I was told a long time ago that tomatoes won't set fruit if the night temperature doesn't get below 70 degrees.

If I am able to get some Sweet 100 tomatoes I will let you know if they keep setting fruit all summer.
Don T
Don T

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/9/2012, 8:57 am

Don T wrote:I was told a long time ago that tomatoes won't set fruit if the night temperature doesn't get below 70 degrees.

Maybe that's what I saw. I didn't get a chance to look it up yesterday. I just remember reading that they stop self-pollinating when it's too hot.

Don T wrote:If I am able to get some Sweet 100 tomatoes I will let you know if they keep setting fruit all summer.

I'll be anxiously watching your progress. What a Face
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/9/2012, 9:12 pm

I picked up more plants at the nursery today.

This place has better variety and plants than both Home Depot and Lowes at 1/3 the cost. The name of the Place is Naylor's if anyone lives near Bayon Rouge.

Today's list:
2 Sweet 100 tomato plants
6 marigolds
2 Fool You Jalapeños (not hot)
1 Goliath Jalapeño
1 King Arthur Bell Pepper
2 cucumbers
1 White Star egg plant

In case anyone is wondering, I love peppers and egg plants. The to
Aries are for my wife.
Don T
Don T

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/9/2012, 11:19 pm

Darn auto correct! It catches me every time. The tomatoes are for my wife is what it should have read.
Don T
Don T

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/10/2012, 3:45 pm

Great additions! I especially look forward to watching your sweet 100 tomatoes to see how they fare this summer. I've been looking for jalapeno peppers wherever I go, but it seems they're just not to be had here. Next year I'll know to grow them from seed.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Don T 5/11/2012, 4:32 pm

Having great weather for the garden. Raining two or three times a week. The corn is starting to come up. That is pretty fast. I just planted on Monday. I haven't lost a plant yet. Started making my trellis for the cucumbers but have to go on a short trip with the wife. We are getting the family together for mothers day on Sunday so my other two grandsons can plant the beans then.

Enjoying every minute of this.
Don T
Don T

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/11/2012, 5:11 pm

Shocked You planted Monday and you have sprouts already?! Shocked That's pretty cool! Glad you're getting rain there.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Nymiko 11/16/2012, 4:23 pm

What a Pretty garden box! it's been a couple of months now since you started and I was curious as to how your garden did through the summer and if there were more pics. So I had to *bump
Nymiko
Nymiko

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  ahoornik 11/16/2012, 5:04 pm

Hi Nymico,

thanks for asking. I got so busy with the whole garden that I made heaps photos but they are all old already. I have a total of 6 SFG'now. One of them deep for carrots. So far I had a harvest of lots of lettuce, lollo's mostly and kale, swiss chard and collard greens. I also had carrots. My one zuchini plants wasn't so lucky, it got lice and was gone within days. I saw it too late. The tomatoes didnt survive either.

I have dedicated one SFG to herbs and it has currently thyme, rosemary, dill, stevia and some decorative plants in it. Next season more herbs there.

The garden space around the SFGs has been put under rootcloth and the middle was recently turned over with a machine and looks good for a grassfield next season.

I am also planning for a garden house and greenhouse for next spring. So lots happened but for now, they veges are out of the SFG and I put bushes in, stuff that can go in the mandatory border. I have bulbs ready to put in as well, So that will be in the coming weeks. to have daffodils and such in spring

So what is up in your gardens??
Annelies
ahoornik
ahoornik

Female Posts : 49

http://www.engelencursus.nl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2