Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
3 season SFGs? Toplef103 season SFGs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

3 season SFGs? I22gcj103 season SFGs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
3 season SFGs? Toplef103 season SFGs? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

3 season SFGs? I22gcj103 season SFGs? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

3 season SFGs?

+3
Chopper
Lindacol
JustMe
7 posters

Go down

3 season SFGs? Empty 3 season SFGs?

Post  JustMe 5/2/2012, 11:46 pm

Who gets 3 seasons out of one grid within your SFG? If so, what are the 3 plants in that square? Do you use a cold frame or hoops to extend your seasons?

I'm in Zone 5a, and I'm trying to figure out what plants (our family likes to eat) that could be grown within 3 seasons in one box.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

3 season SFGs? Empty Re: 3 season SFGs?

Post  Lindacol 5/3/2012, 12:20 am

I am a way different climate - southern CA zone 9b. I got 4 crops from some of my squares. We rarely get freezes here.

March planted onions (the ones from HD that come in a bunch), harvested in june(great crop).

Then planted corn that was harvested in august(tasted sooo good).

Then planted sweet potatoes, harvested before Thanksgiving(plants looked great but tubers were small).

Then planted romaine lettuce around New Years which was finally pulled when it bolted last month.

Now my tomaotoes went in in the spring around this time last year and were pulled in february so I could replant the squares.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/3/2012, 12:40 am

With 5 months growing season you will be pushing the envelope. However with a few extra boxes you could use some for spring and fall planting and different ones for summer crops. I find - and maybe it is just because they love the MM - that crops produce for a pretty long time and are not in and out in two months. I just pulled out still producing peas that I planted in December. That is 4.5 months. SO my answer is yes you can, but perhaps not in each square.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/3/2012, 2:25 am

this is what we have been trying to figure out as well....

i thought one of my box's that i have sugar snap peas, lettuce, spinach, radish, beets and one square of carrots ( havent even sprouted yet) would all be done by the time we needed to plant our (three sisters).....corn, beans and pumpkin.....

well....the radishes will be done....yummy too!....but the peas are just now growing and our lettuce is just at the point where we can harvest some....the spinach still has a ways to go.....

we are suppose to plant beans around may 5th in just a couple of days and the corn goes in around the 18th i believe......so....we may have a change of plans....Shocked

we may end up with a three sisters with.... sugar snap peas......corn growing with lettuce and spinach...... and the one square where the radish will be done we will plant the pumpkin Laughing hope the beets will be done by the time she is big enough Razz and she can vine out side of the box!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/3/2012, 6:04 am

Very Happy I am trying a three sisters garden and everything I have seen says to let the corn get 4 inches tall bfor planting your beans so your corn can support it! I hope it all works out for you!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/3/2012, 11:28 am

thanks chey Very Happy

we did a three sisters garden last year ( corn with beans growing up them, squash and pumpkins) in ground not SFG in our back garden and it did really well.....but....we didnt get as many beans as would of liked.....this year we wanted to try a three sisters in one of our SFG box and see how it compares.....this time though we were going to have most of the beans on a trellis....that is where our sugar snap peas are right now.....Shocked

so i think we are going to have to figure out where to trellis our beans....

we may end up only putting one corn per square to allow some lettuce to grow with it......

its all good....this is how we learn Very Happy we really want to learn how to grow as much as we can......we really would love to garden all year around....this year is the first time for hoops too....so excited to see how fall goes and if we can over winter things as well......here in the PNW What a Face

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/3/2012, 12:29 pm

I would get Eliot Coleman's "Four Season Harvest" from the library and read it. He's got many good ideas and he's in zone 5, also. I'm going to be trying some of them myself this year here in Maine.

You do need a cold frame or hoop house with extra insulating factors to grow some things, but he also gives the names of the plants he uses. Don't expect tomatoes and eggplant, but several greens are possible. Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/3/2012, 1:50 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:thanks chey Very Happy

we did a three sisters garden last year ( corn with beans growing up them, squash and pumpkins) in ground not SFG in our back garden and it did really well.....but....we didnt get as many beans as would of liked.....this year we wanted to try a three sisters in one of our SFG box and see how it compares.....this time though we were going to have most of the beans on a trellis....that is where our sugar snap peas are right now.....Shocked

so i think we are going to have to figure out where to trellis our beans....

we may end up only putting one corn per square to allow some lettuce to grow with it......

its all good....this is how we learn Very Happy we really want to learn how to grow as much as we can......we really would love to garden all year around....this year is the first time for hoops too....so excited to see how fall goes and if we can over winter things as well......here in the PNW What a Face

hugs

rose

Sounds great, I would be interested in hearing your comparison too!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 5/3/2012, 6:31 pm

Mel talks about lettuce in the early spring, bush beans in the summer and beets in the fall.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

3 season SFGs? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down