Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway Toplef10I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway I22gcj10I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway Toplef10I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway I22gcj10I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Fri May 17, 2024 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Fri May 17, 2024 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Thu May 16, 2024 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Thu May 16, 2024 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid Tue May 14, 2024 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Tue May 07, 2024 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway

+18
squaredeal
Bluphrog
CindiLou
llama momma
SwampCatNana
hopeless151
H_TX_2
kbb964
Too Tall Tomatoes
RoOsTeR
walshevak
Nicola
givvmistamps
martha
Grandpop
Lavender Debs
yolos
Jess0331
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway Empty I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway

Post  Jess0331 Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi fellow SFG'ers!

I am a newbie and am contemplating trying to make compost in my backyard. Are worms a necessity? The reason I ask is because, well, I'm terrible repulsed and afraid of them. Go ahead, laugh! Wink I know all the wonderful things they do for soil and how they are beneficial to gardeners but I just can't get myself to get near them. I blame my cousin...he tossed 4 large, very squirmy earthworms down my shirt when I was 4 and I never recovered. LOL

When I clear areas in my garden spot or dig a hole to plant flowers and come across a worm I literally freeze and scream. It's so pathetic! I'm really sorry for sounding so dumb about this, but I have gotten such good information here so far I figured I'd go ahead and ask.

Jess

Jess0331
Jess0331

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway Empty Re: I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway

Post  yolos Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 pm

No, worms are not necessary for composting. But they will usually come to the compost pile on their own.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway Empty Re: I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway

Post  Lavender Debs Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Oh no! Poor you! do you have that same reaction when you see your cousin because he deserves it!!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:50 pm

glad you\'re here
And NO, you don't need worms! And when your garden begins to produce all those goodies at the middle and end of the summer, I would invite that cousin over and let them get a good look at your success. Then remind them of the worm incident, and NO they weren't taking home a bag of your goodies! rofl
Grandpop
Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

Back to top Go down

Post  martha Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 pm

But what Yolo said is true. (And what Lavender Debs said, also!)

Do you have someone who can turn the pile for you, and maybe harvest for you when the time comes?

Don't be embarrased by having worm-aphobia. Brothers, cousins and all kinds of other family members can install all kinds of fears and traumas.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:11 pm

Don't feel silly! Most people have an irrational fear or two hiding in their skeleton closet. I have a son who screams like a girl and runs when he sees spiders...and he never had a terrible cousin doing mean things to him like you.

It is possible to successfully compost without worms. You can put your composting ingredients into an enclosed composting bin that you control; some are barrels you turn once in awhile to speed the process, others have layers that drop the finished product to the bottom through a grille of some sort.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 am

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 61949 and I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 396615 from another Connecticutioner (or do you prefer Nutmegger?)

You've described my reaction when I've seen cockroaches (thank god that hasn't happened in years) and centipedes (or "many-legged creepy-crawleys" as I usually think of them) => frozen in near-abject terror. I guess I'm lucky; worms don't get to me that way.

Does said cousin have any critter phobias? Not that I'd recommend throwing something his affraid way, or anything like that, no, Evil or Very Mad of course not (but it may be nice to think about.) By the time it's time to sieve your compost, you can put long handles on the sifter, so you don't run into any wormies or other creatures too close.
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:13 am

my phobia is snakes. I intellectually know there are helpful snakes, but my emotions say KILL.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am

walshevak wrote:my phobia is snakes. I intellectually know there are helpful snakes, but my emotions say KILL.

Kay

+1 you're not alone Kay get that pesky wabbi

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:55 am

I don't necessarily have a phobia with bees/wasps/hornets, but I really do not like them one bit. I see one and I want to kill it. Evil or Very Mad
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 am

I hate any kind of bug apart from worms!

kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:29 am

Like others have said you can compost in a closed container above ground and keep the worms out. I have two open compost piles that I will be converting into a tumbler soon. One tool that is essential for working with compost is pitchfork. Get one with the long thin tines and hopefully while you are holding the pitchfork you will be a little less scared of just about everything.

-On Walking Dead they killed a zombie with a pitchfork; if the pitchfork can handle a zombie it should be able to handle a worm.

-I'm not making fun of your phobia. I am deathly terrified of mayonnaise and sour cream and not even a pitchfork can help me get over that fear.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeless151 Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:31 am

Don't feel bad about being afraid of worms, they are pretty wiggly.

I got attacked by a herd of crickets while mowing a yard when I was young. So many were on me that you couldn't see any part of my legs. The lady I was mowing for had to come beat them off with a kitchen towel!!!

So any time I see one I hyperventillate and nearly pass out, too scared to even scream! Luckily, I have family and friends that alot of times will kill them before I see them and most the time keep it a secret from me. :-)
hopeless151
hopeless151

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:34 am

Jess, you are not alone in the worms-aphobia. I, too, have a problem with them. I shiver just thinking of them. So I guess I'll have to find someone to help me with them.
Since I will be using a community garden, I will definitely have help. I'm lucky.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:43 am

walshevak wrote:my phobia is snakes. I intellectually know there are helpful snakes, but my emotions say KILL.

Kay

My emotions say RUN. I cannot remember if poisonous snakes have slitted or rounded pupils and won't get close enough either since I'll be running and screeching in the other direction. After I built up the large compost heap I found out snakes might like hanging around there too? Now the weeds around the edges may have ticks? affraid
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 am

When people see me go in the opposite direction from a bee or wasp..they usually think I am scared! Really I am allergic! I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 889526 I hate the shots and hate the itch..and that is just the NICE side effects.

So I let them think what they want...then they warn me about them I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 889526cause they want to see me bust a move I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway 889526
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:03 pm

I just realized I went and told on my son but didn't tell about my own fears...but mine aren't so much bug related. (Though if I see a BIG spider unexpectedly skittering through the house I do freak; that's because I'm afraid it's a Brown Recluse!) Ticks churn my stomach, raising the bile, but not so much that I can't remove them from myself or loved ones.

My biggest fear is not bug, snake or garden related at all...I'm terrified of heights! pale Whenever we have to go through Jacksonville or another city with TALL bridges, my husband has to drive and I close my eyes until we're over...and when I go somewhere with balconies I stay at least 5' away from the edge.

My biggest sacrifice for parenthood was a couple years ago when my older son REALLY wanted to go on a waterslide that looked like it was a mile in the air...I have a very hard time with stairs because of hip problems, and I had to carry an inner-tube up the stairs...but for him, I carried that darn thing up the CENTER of the stairs as quickly as my hips would let me, without the aid of a railing, got my preferred 5' away from the railing as soon as I reached the top (which didn't help much because it was so high in the air I was SURE it was going to topple affraid ), then selected the slide that was in the middle so I could manage to get myself back down from there. I told JT I was never doing that again, What a Face then I took him back to my husband and told DH he had to trade sons with me if JT wanted to go on anything else like that. John was only 3, so had to stay in the kiddie section or the wave pool...and I was perfectly happy there for the remainder of the day. sunny
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

I'm embarrassed, but I'm going to ask anyway Empty Embarrassed

Post  Bluphrog Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:24 pm

"Though if I see a BIG spider unexpectedly skittering through the house I do freak; that's because I'm afraid it's a Brown Recluse!:

Sorry, Giv, but brown recluse spiders are small -- 1/4" to 1/2" and they are sneaky, hiding and waiting to pounce. My bro-in-law has been bitten twice and never saw the spiders.

Well, my "phobia" is flying, buzzing insects, especially if I only hear them go by. They don't have to bite or sting, just buzz and fly (and yes, a plain old housefly or mosquito will do it if I can't see it). If I hear one, I freeze. If I see one, I break out in a cold sweat. I actually almost went out a car window once. We were getting ready to pull away from a friend's house and she and my husband were still talking on the driver's side. Something flew in the back driver's side window and I was going out the passenger window. Hubby grabbed my shirt and wouldn't let go. Luckily, t flew out the back window, but I was almost in tears.
Bluphrog
Bluphrog

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Yeah, I know they're smaller, but these spiders are usually seen out of the corner of my eye, skittering away from something that was just moved, like a blanket or whatever...perfect hiding place to find a Recluse. We had a real time of it getting all the spiders back outside where they belong when we first moved into this house; it had been unoccupied for almost 3 years. Spiders, silverfish and waterbugs had practically taken over the joint (or so it seemed) when we first bought it, so we had to take drastic measures in getting them outside again. Now we have eco-friendly pest barriers at all entrances to keep them out.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Well, Bluphrog, I can do you one better as for experience with flying insects. However, I'm not afraid of them, in spite of my experience.
I was camping with my granddaughter on Cape Cod. We went into the tent for the night. I put on the lantern and she snuggled in her bedroll.
Reading was my way of relaxing after a hectic day of sightseeing. As I read a moth buzzed around the tent coming close to me. I idly swatted at it with one hand while I continued to read.
The moth took revenge on me and promptly flew into my right ear! Yes, my ear! And wouldn't you know I get a dumb moth, he doesn't know how to back out!
So we get in the car(10 PM) and go down to a local store where a police car was parked. Of course I also lost my glasses, needed for driving, that day so had to wear my Rx sunglasses.
Went into the store and told the policeman what happened. He took me over to the firestation, about a block away. It seems all but 2 firemen were asleep. But they decide to wake all the others so they could see the lady with the moth in her ear!
Now is the fun part. They put me and my granddaughter(5 yo) in an ambulance and used the siren to take me to the local hospital. No subtlety there!
Arrive at the hospital, talk to the intake gal, she does NOT believe me when I tell her the problem. Of course she has to shout it so everyone in the waiting room can hear!
The comes the doctor. Puts me in what looks like a barber chair and raises me so my ear is at his eye level.....he is at least 6' tall!
Mundane solution - fill my ear with oil, tilt my head so it doesn't leak out, and stay that way for 10 minutes to kill the moth.
Now he comes back, and using long tweezers, he removes the moth.
His comment at this point, "I'm glad it wasn't an Italian moth". Naturally, I know there is no such thing but I ask why.
His answer, "Because I didn't have any olive oil"! Evil or Very Mad
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:41 pm

This might sound silly, but trying naming your bug (or worm - Free Willy the worm!). Living in the woods I'm surround by creepy crawlers, so I take an attitude that God put them on this earth, too. So when Barnabe the Bumblebee gets trapped on a screen, I find a paper cup and plate and assist him to the free outdoors. Our porch must be on a nest of Wolf spiders - they are huge! I assist them outside too. With ants, well, I give them a free lunch...but after a couple of days they don't come back.....
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:11 pm

SwampCatNana - I read a book recently written by a former park ranger, and he tells the story of a guy who had a moth fly into his ear. This ranger was pretty clever, and held a flashlight up to the man's ear, and lo and behold, the moth came flying out because it was attracted to the light! Too bad that doctor didn't think of that.....Very Happy
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Sounds like we need a befriending session for these poor wee creatures because you guys are thousands of time bigger then they are.

The therapy consists of standing within six feet of your nemisis and not doing a runner or a squalk for six seconds.. now that's not difficult is it ?

Then a few hours late hang around for 12 seconds and look at the beastie . Each day repeat the exercise till your a foot or so away and have a real good look at what has been scaring the living day lights out of you.

The same goes with worms but this time wear some dark rubber gloves , go and touch the worm , see how it recoils at your touch .

See how it eases its way into the particles of earth , next day do the same and scoop a worm onto the palm of your hand ..whilst wearing your glove. Look at how it moves around ..notice how it's body is a serices of rings that it stretches and contracts to move around . Can you see its digestive tract and recognise which end is which?

Do this for a couple of glove days then wear a clear light poly bag on your bare hand ... the worm can't get to you ..it would'nt want to either as your skin acids will burn its skin .

Do this for a few days and one day be really brave .... move a worm with a bare finger tip .

It can't hurt you or bite you but it can help you get over your distress. give the worm a friendly name and watch it make its way into your MM after you have gently picked it up & placed it in your ANSFG bed.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:11 pm

ksbmom wrote:SwampCatNana - I read a book recently written by a former park ranger, and he tells the story of a guy who had a moth fly into his ear. This ranger was pretty clever, and held a flashlight up to the man's ear, and lo and behold, the moth came flying out because it was attracted to the light! Too bad that doctor didn't think of that.....Very Happy

Actually, he did look in with a flashlight. But the moth was so big it could not turn around. Or it was just plain dumb?! albino
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Gena575 Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:03 pm

SwampCatNana wrote:Well, Bluphrog, I can do you one better as for experience with flying insects. However, I'm not afraid of them, in spite of my experience.
I was camping with my granddaughter on Cape Cod. We went into the tent for the night. I put on the lantern and she snuggled in her bedroll.
Reading was my way of relaxing after a hectic day of sightseeing. As I read a moth buzzed around the tent coming close to me. I idly swatted at it with one hand while I continued to read.
The moth took revenge on me and promptly flew into my right ear! Yes, my ear! And wouldn't you know I get a dumb moth, he doesn't know how to back out!

I had something very similar happen and am now a complete freak about buzzing insects, too! I was living in my mom's basement during my divorce from my first husband. I was reading and waved away a buzzy thing, like you did. Either I swatted it into my ear or it was a bug with a death wish, but BOOM there it was! We tried flushing it out with water which ended up killing it, but not removing it like I thought had happened. The next day I was in excruciating pain from the dead bug stuck in my ear. The doctor used one of those old water flossers to blast it out of my ear. Turns out it was a lightning bug. Ick ick ick!
Gena575
Gena575

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next