Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Toplef10Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 I22gcj10Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Toplef10Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 I22gcj10Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

+27
Gunny
FamilyGardening
CapeCoddess
cpl100
Triciasgarden
songstriss
alexrobort
greatgranny
elliephant
TN_GARDENER
martha
tomperrin
Kelejan
kgooding
Goosegirl
BackRiver_SFG
subsonic
BetsyC
GWN
kbb964
brenda g
plantoid
JustMe
littlesapphire
kittykat
walshevak
rose1971
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Empty Re: Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

Post  GWN 4/4/2013, 10:05 am

I tried it with celeriac, and got a nice plant.
But then it would be a second year plant and in that case, would just go to seed.
I have gotten several stampings to several inches high, but then each time I do something dumb, like add something else to the pot, or some of them just die???
I never thought to put them out in the garden, perhaps I will have to give it a tray after looking at roses pictures
THANKS ROSE
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Empty Re: Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again

Post  CapeCoddess 4/4/2013, 12:41 pm

HA! Got a helper with my cabbage stumpling experiment: Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 100_5810

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/4/2013, 12:57 pm

My celery stalk experiment is doing well but still under the lights since its too darn cold out at my house.
Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 04-03-11
That's Mrs Celery on the left in this photo taken yesterday.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/30/2017, 10:47 am

After 2 days my celery stump is looking good. It started with 2 tiny leaves and that may have made the difference.

I threw out 2 of the romaine stumps and learned a lesson. Don't use anything with rot on it. I thought maybe the healthy part would throw off the rotten part, but it works the other way -- the rot spreads and kills the rest of the stump.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/30/2017, 9:19 pm

countrynaturals wrote:After 2 days my celery stump is looking good. It started with 2 tiny leaves and that may have made the difference.

I threw out 2 of the romaine stumps and learned a lesson. Don't use anything with rot on it. I thought maybe the healthy part would throw off the rotten part, but it works the other way -- the rot spreads and kills the rest of the stump.
So exactly what did.   You do?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/31/2017, 12:29 pm

orpio Rising wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:After 2 days my celery stump is looking good. It started with 2 tiny leaves and that may have made the difference.

So exactly what did.   You do?
Day 3 -- Stump Therapy working -- not losing my mind in this heat. Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 3170584802

This experiment is labor-intensive, so I don't recommend it if you have a life or something. Rolling Eyes 

I start with about an inch of base material. I look for veggies that are already starting to sprout in the fridge. If there's any sign of rot, cut it off or compost it and use a different stump. Cut off the stump as level as you can and put in 1/2" of water in a sunny or at least bright window sill. Change the water daily, including washing out the container -- they do get slimy. Now that I'm an "expert"  Rolling Eyes I will share some pics.

Here's the celery. Lookin' good. We eat a ton of it, so I'm really excited about getting a head start. I will also be planting seeds next week, so it will be interesting to see how they compare. I have never grown celery before either way. geek
Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Celery10

Carrots: I wasn't paying attention when I started this experiment and didn't look for carrots that were already sprouting. I got lucky with the one on the right and since I took this pic, I found 3 more to add. It will be interesting to see how long (if ever) it takes the one on the left to sprout.
Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Carrot11

Here's the romaine. It isn't doing much yet, but I think it will be fine. It has a deep green glow inside.
Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Romain10

Sweet potatoes: Doing fine. I will plant them out after the heatwave ends (if that ever happens Sad)
Garden Tip - Never buy Celery Again - Page 3 Sweet-12

Hopefully I'll get a turnip and a sweet onion today to continue the experiment.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/31/2017, 2:53 pm

Nice, Suz. Anything to keep from going crazy indoors during the summer. I'll let you know when you should start the winter veggies. No, not today! Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/31/2017, 3:16 pm

sanderson wrote:Nice, Suz.  Anything to keep from going crazy indoors during the summer.  I'll let you know when you should start the winter veggies.  No, not today! Wink
I'm gonna plant some "2nd summer" seeds tomorrow, then hold my breath until you say it's time to plant for winter. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/31/2017, 5:00 pm

My single celery stumpling is out in the garden with my store-bought celery plants. They've been growing together for over a month and I can't tell the difference. This experiment is working out quite well so far.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3