Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! Toplef10Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! I22gcj10Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! Toplef10Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! I22gcj10Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow!

+5
H_TX_2
walshevak
elliephant
Goosegirl
cheyannarach
9 posters

Go down

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! Empty Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow!

Post  cheyannarach 4/24/2012, 1:26 pm

I have never done much with trellising and vining plants but I am on a kick now and I was just curious about what other people's favorites are! What and why? What's easiest what's hardest? Just looking for some more inspiration Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! Empty Re: Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow!

Post  Goosegirl 4/24/2012, 1:33 pm

Last year I did sugar baby watermelons and they were sooooo cute hanging off the trellis! This year I am trying Tiger Melons and Omaha Pumpkins (along with the obvious cukes and 'maters!). Also trying cherry toms for the first time this year.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! Empty Re: Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow!

Post  cheyannarach 4/24/2012, 2:29 pm

Those sugar babies sound excellent, I might have to snag some of those and give a try!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 4/24/2012, 3:01 pm

Last year I loved my Tatume vining squash. Got lots of baseball to softball size roundish squash from it. Late this year, but finally got one sprouted just yesterday.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/24/2012, 3:44 pm

Peas. beans, cukes, squash, and tomatos. This year I'm trying malibar spinach, sugar baby watermelons and cantaloupe.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 4/24/2012, 3:55 pm

This is the first year I have grown cantaloupe and it has been fun so far. It started out on the ground, too small to reach the trellis and the tomato plants next to it were 1 to 2 feet taller. As soon as it reached the trellis I helped it up and tied it to the trellis and next thing I knew it was sprouting lots of tendrils and it is now taller than my tomato plants. It has flowers that are blooming and the tendrils are really cool to watch them latch onto anything.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  junequilt 4/24/2012, 5:52 pm

Malabar spinach. Unlike regular spinach, it loves heat and humidity. Plus it's beautiful.
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/24/2012, 7:59 pm

This malibar spinach sounds pretty exciting, might have to try that too!

I am doing spaghetti squash, cantelope, cucumbers, peas, beans, I think I will deffinately have to try the baby watermelons too. They just sound cute!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 4/24/2012, 8:03 pm

We're trying three varieties of tomatoes this year... all gourmet and/or heirloom. Two are WHITE and the other is a small Persian type.
I think the cukes are probably my favorite.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/24/2012, 8:28 pm

I love cucumbers! And duh, how could I forget tomatoes, I am doing them too but aren't tomatoes just one of those that are a given! What's your favorite tomato to grow, mine are the yellow varieties! Yum!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/25/2012, 7:22 am

cheyannarach wrote:Those sugar babies sound excellent, I might have to snag some of those and give a try!

Here's pics from last year:

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! Pict0051

Suggestions of your favorite vining veggie to grow! Sugar_10
cheyannarach wrote:This malibar spinach sounds pretty exciting, might have to try that too!

I am trying the Malibar Spinach this year as well. If you would like some of my seeds, PM your address to me and I will send some your way.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/25/2012, 10:27 am

Those are sooo cute, I am ordering some today! Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  brenda g 4/25/2012, 11:22 am

Goosegirl - Thanks for the pictures! I live in zone 4a as well, and am nursing sugar baby watermelon seedlings for my first SFG - I had been considering them a 'long shot' crop but now I am very encouraged! Very Happy
brenda g
brenda g

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/25/2012, 12:31 pm

Sugar snap peas... especially the ones with purple blossoms I had one year but can not remember what variety.
and cherry tomatoes and lemon cucumbers. All things that grow happily and give snacks as you walk by.
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/25/2012, 5:24 pm

I've got sugar snap peas and cherry tomatoes. I have never had a lemon cucumber, what are they like. I am doing straight eight and cucumber alibi!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/25/2012, 9:31 pm

cheyannarach wrote:I've got sugar snap peas and cherry tomatoes. I have never had a lemon cucumber, what are they like. I am doing straight eight and cucumber alibi!

Sounds yummy times a coming!
Lemon cukes are an old heirloom variety. They don't get bitter like some. The fruit is yellow, round and ping pong ball size usually. They are very mild tasting, good in salad but we usually just eat them as snacks. They are a little late to start fruiting so I do start them in pots. I also will grow Wautoma pickling.
Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/25/2012, 10:54 pm

If you have a good pickling recipe I would glady love to have it!Very Happy I am going to be a first time canner this year so getting all the good recipes, tips, and tricks I can!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/25/2012, 11:36 pm

Sorry I am not good at pickle recipes. I raise pickling cukes because I think they taste better than slicers. Maybe some one else is good at them.....
Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 4/25/2012, 11:47 pm

I'll keep looking, I love cucumbers and pickles so I am planning to get some pickles canned to last through the winter! If all goes as planned! Today River (the girl) only ate pickles for lunch, wouldn't touch her sandwich, she has been sick so not much of an appetite but still funny.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down