Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello. I'm new and need help. Toplef10Hello. I'm new and need help. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello. I'm new and need help. I22gcj10Hello. I'm new and need help. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello. I'm new and need help. Toplef10Hello. I'm new and need help. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello. I'm new and need help. I22gcj10Hello. I'm new and need help. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 14:20

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:28

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 16:08

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 9:13

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed 24 Apr 2024 - 5:16

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue 23 Apr 2024 - 17:52

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue 23 Apr 2024 - 10:53

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 22:36

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 13:57

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 11:07

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon 22 Apr 2024 - 7:36

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 14:02

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 5:00

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun 21 Apr 2024 - 3:56

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 14:25

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat 20 Apr 2024 - 12:08

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri 19 Apr 2024 - 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu 18 Apr 2024 - 20:22

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello. I'm new and need help.

+11
nanny
Nonna.PapaVino
philct
asilcox
quiltbea
camprn
kbb964
subsonic
jennifer37918
sfg4uKim
Granny
15 posters

Go down

Hello. I'm new and need help. Empty Hello. I'm new and need help.

Post  Granny Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 3:26

This is my first ever post to any forum anywhere. Also, I'm new to SFG. I've built my beds, and am ready to plant. My main problem is I'm not sure of a good plan. Is there a place where I can see several garden plans? Should I put all of the same type of plant together? Any suggestions will help.

My zone is 6a. My gardening experience is somewhat limited. This is my third year, with first two as traditional gardens.

Thanks. Granny.
Granny
Granny

Back to top Go down

Hello. I'm new and need help. Empty Re: Hello. I'm new and need help.

Post  sfg4uKim Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 5:03

Hello. I'm new and need help. 61949Granny and welcome to the Forum!

A few basic questions . . . have you had the chance to read the All New Square Foot Gardening book (2006)? You say your beds are ready . . . did you make up "Mel's Mix"? Did you have any problems finding the ingredients?

The beauty of the SFG method is that you plant different squares with different crops which adds to the beauty of the garden (like a patchwork quilt). It also gets you to plant "thoughtfully" with the harvest in mind - you don't want ALL your cabbage ready for harvest at the same time, etc.

If you go to the upper left, you see a search. Make sure the box is checked that says "Search SFG Forum" then type in - planting plans - which brings up several Forum posts relating to plans. Hopefully you'll see something you need.

If not, you'll want to give everyone an idea of WHAT you want to plant and post a draft plan of your own which others will help you tweak.

Again, welcome!

Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Hello. I'm new and need help. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer37918 Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 6:12

This is my first year with any kind of gardening. Planning the squares had me fairly overwhelmed, so I decided to skip the planning. I realize I might pay the price for that later, but the lack of stress right now is worth it.

Each week, I look at what can be planted that week according to the charts in the back of the book based on frost week. From that list, I decide which I want, have room for, can find locally, etc. and plant one square of each.

I'm keeping notes on which ones worked well for me or what mistakes not to make again. Hopefully, next year I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing and be able to plan better.

Good luck!
jennifer37918
jennifer37918

Back to top Go down

Post  subsonic Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 7:14

best 2 pieces of advice I can give you is to keep notes. all year long keep notes, that way you can refer to them if something goes wrong and learn from your mistakes
every place is different in what grows so look around at any neighbors who garden or lk around for a gardening club in your area
second bit of advice, experiment, I have found out all kinds of stuff by experimenting, both good and bad.
and as a bonus, enjoy yourself, no matter what happens find the good in it, it was either a lesson or a harvest, both make you a better gardener. Smile
subsonic
subsonic

Male Posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 10:54

Great advice Subsonic!
First thing I did after making my boxes was to go out and buy a journal to write in. I have pages for each Veggie/fruit and write down everything.
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 14:38

Hi Granny, welcome to the forum! The way I plan is, basically, the tall things go in the back, on the north side and the smallest things go in the front, south side. Then you decide what you want to eat from your garden and then commence planting.

What would you like to grow? Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hello. I'm new and need help. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 16:01

Welcome Granny. I agree wtih camprn. Tall crops (tomatoes, cucumbers, pole beans) on the north side with trellises or stakes, smaller plants in front (broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, Swiss chard, bush beans), smallest in the very front (spinach, lettuce, turnips, carrots, onion sets). Plant things you like to eat. Try one of this, one of that and see how it works for you. Keep notes and take pictures. Take out books from the library to help you. Try Bob Thomson's 'The New Victory Garden' (he gardens in your general area) and Barbara Damrosch's 'Garden Primer' for a little more help. First and foremost, plant what you like to eat.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Hello. I'm new and need help. Empty one newbie to another

Post  asilcox Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 16:35

Granny,

I am new, also. I began by making a list of all the things that I wanted to plant based on what I like to eat (I used the back of the book for inspiration). Then, also on paper, I drew my 4 x 4 grid with the gridlines. After that, I made about 15 versions of what I was going to plant. It was actually fun to sketch the plan, and I ended up with a garden that I am, so far at least, thrilled with! :-)

Let us know how you do - I would love to see your plan when you come up with one. I can't say that I will have much of a critique (being new myself), but I sure can be supportive! cheers

~Amanda
asilcox
asilcox

Back to top Go down

Post  philct Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 16:43

subsonic wrote:best 2 pieces of advice I can give you is to keep notes. all year long keep notes, that way you can refer to them if something goes wrong and learn from your mistakes
every place is different in what grows so look around at any neighbors who garden or lk around for a gardening club in your area
second bit of advice, experiment, I have found out all kinds of stuff by experimenting, both good and bad.
and as a bonus, enjoy yourself, no matter what happens find the good in it, it was either a lesson or a harvest, both make you a better gardener. Smile

+1... Keep notes and keep updating on here... I try to add pictures as I go as when I was planning a few months ago I really liked seeing pictures over words... Good luck!!! cheers
philct
philct

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 17:32

I'm a granny, too, and have been gardening for --mumble-mumble-- years. Long enough to know I love fresh produce and I love to experiment. Ten years ago, I found a used SQF gardening book, and began making raised beds. Therefore, some of my beds are still based on the old Square Foot Gardening book, with boards between 4-foot sections to walk on for crop care and harvest. Then, last year, I bought the All New SQF Gardening book. Much more usable, so we are converting our garden to the new plan. Learned the aisles between the beds is almost as important as the beds themselves. Leaving adequate space to easily care for your square foot beds, is extremely important. The more four-foot beds, the easier it is to plan a workable rotation for crops year to year. And, the older I get, the more I enjoy experimenting with new ideas: cattle panel trellis, hay bale bed for 3 sisters experiment last year, hoop house over plants to speed up the seasons, etc. Bottom line: Better tasting and more nutritious food, great exercise, satisfaction for having done it yourself, smile on the faces of those you deliver produce to. You'll find many other wonders in your new gardening adventure. Proud of you for beginning! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Hello. I'm new and need help. Empty Lettuce for sure!

Post  nanny Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 18:33

From one Granny to another;

Plant some lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson) for certain. It grows fairly quickly and is so good and sweet. Also plant some onion sets. I planted mine very early. The lettuce seems slow to grow this year but we are eating green onions already. You can't go wrong with these two vegetables. Good luck with your garden. Oh, I always plant one square of flowers. That's food for the soul.
nanny

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  jponderjones Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 19:15

I too am new to sfg. i have gardened off and on all my life. I've mostly used containers over the last 7 or 8 years, due to living in rented places. I stumbled acorss sfg on the internet, then read the original book because my mom had a copy. then I bought the all new sfg. I am having good luck with broccoli, tomatoes, squash, my sugar snap peas were planted too late and I'm not sure they'll make, my purple hull peas aren't doing good either but my seed are very old and i blame it on the seed. I also struggled with what to plant where in the garden. then finally just planted with an eye to height so I didn't shade out anything. with the very early spring and getting a late start I didn't get any spring veggies like lettuce or spinach.

good luck
jponderjones
jponderjones

Female Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 21:46

The thing to remember is each square is its own crop. So start by deciding what you want to be able to pick from your garden. Then you will have a better idea what to plant where if you already know anything about its growing habits. Just think of each square as its own thing with a different planting and harvesting date from any other square. As soon as a square is empty decide what goes in next.

You probably understand the difference between summer and spring crops. Spring (lettuce, cabbage, peas, etc) like it cool and summer (tomatoes, peppers, most herbs, eggplant, corn etc) like it hot.

In MA there is some overlap as hot is a relative term. But if you start planting now, you should get some spring, some summer and some fall (same as spring).

A simple guide that is also in the book:

Here are examples of what can be planted in each square foot:
16 carrots or radishes, onion (or 9)
9 onions, beets, peas, garlic, spinach. bush beans, pole beans
4 lettuce, chard, marigolds, or kohlrabi, strawberries,
1 tomato, pepper(try 2 next time), eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, or corn, cabbage, celery, potato
1 squash, or melon per 2 sq.ft. (or 3ft space – zucchini)
2 cucumbers

1 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 12 inches apart.
4 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 6 inches apart.
9 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 4 inches apart.
16 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 3 inches apart
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner Sat 21 Apr 2012 - 22:01

Hello. I'm new and need help. 654548

Granny wrote:This is my first ever post to any forum anywhere. Also, I'm new to SFG. I've built my beds, and am ready to plant. My main problem is I'm not sure of a good plan. Is there a place where I can see several garden plans? Should I put all of the same type of plant together? Any suggestions will help.

My zone is 6a. My gardening experience is somewhat limited. This is my third year, with first two as traditional gardens.

Thanks. Granny.
YES! If you go to the forum's homepage (https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/), and you scan down to the third sub-forum entry "Showcase of Gardens." It has two subsections: "show us yours" and "garden plans." In the latter one, you'll find posts by members who are displaying their plans graphically, and getting help on how to improve it. You'll also find some under the former one, and if you watch the column of "Latest Topics" you'll see current ones that are in discussion.

There's lots of great information on the board...after you read the book, check out what others are doing. Ask questions whenever you need!

If you are used to gardening in rows, there is a lot to simplify! It's a wonderful mind-shift.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Hello. I'm new and need help. Empty Wow! So many strangers helping

Post  Granny Tue 24 Apr 2012 - 10:02

Thank you for the wonderful words of wisdom. I do have Mel's new book, as well as the old one. I'm still reading through all of the information.

Finding vermiculite was a challenge, however I was finally successful. I did not put in 5 different kinds of compost, which I may regret. Originally I wasn't able to get the vermiculite, so some beds have perlite. Also, before I read about Mel's Mix, we had already purchased garden soil and my husband, who is still not able to read my mind, had no idea that I was bringing it back and changing to Mel's mix, surprised me by filling a few boxes. For this year, therefore, we're going with two beds done correctly and the others with the mix plus garden soil.

I'm having a big party with family from all over staying, so I won't be looking at the posts until early next week. I intend to reread, more thoughtfully, all the responses and incorporate all the ideas.

As I said, this is the first forum I've ever joined and have to say I'm stunned at the number of strangers who are willing to take time from their busy schedules to help me with my project. Thank you so very much. Smile
Granny
Granny

Back to top Go down

Post  martha Tue 24 Apr 2012 - 10:06

Welcome, Granny! We are neighbors!

What will be interesting is to compare the two types of beds throughout the season.

We'll look forward to hearing back from you once your resettled from your family. Have a great visit/party!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum