Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bouquet Advice.... Toplef10Bouquet Advice.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bouquet Advice.... I22gcj10Bouquet Advice.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Bouquet Advice.... Toplef10Bouquet Advice.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Bouquet Advice.... I22gcj10Bouquet Advice.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Bouquet Advice....

+2
Chopper
lonewolfrissy
6 posters

Go down

Bouquet Advice.... Empty Bouquet Advice....

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/20/2012, 6:19 pm

I need bouquet advice. Bf and I are thinking of getting married sometime next spring. No date is actually set. We do have our theme/colors. I'm stuck on bouquets.

Timeframe: Spring
Theme: Star Wars - Jedi and Sith
Colors: Black/Red, Brown/Cream
Desired Flowers: Black Iris, Red Calla Lily, White/Cream Rosebuds.
Bouquet Idea: The mentioned flowers with some ferns and ivy in a cascade Style or a standard with brown ribbon and a star wars pin around the base.
Possible Location: Palm Springs.

Now, where I need advice/ideas/opinions is, is it less in cost to do silk/artificial, real/florist or to grow my own?

Silk/artificial - No worrying about wilting, too much special care, can find exactly what I want, keepsake.

Real/florist: I can mention what I want, not be able to get what I want, $200-$1000 in cost (from what I can find online).

Grow them myself: I get what I want, hopefully when I want, don't need to "pick" until the day before.... However the desired bulbs are about $4.00 - $20.00 for one....

In regards to the wedding party: Thinking the ladies in the party can carry lightsabers instead of bouquets.

Black Iris: http://static.weddingwire.com/static/wedding/385001_390000/385088/thumbnails/600x600_1334858221395-BlackLightningWeb.jpg
Red Calla: http://static.weddingwire.com/static/wedding/385001_390000/385088/thumbnails/600x600_1334858345838-p5338075913.jpg
White Rose (Buds preferred): http://static.weddingwire.com/static/wedding/385001_390000/385088/thumbnails/600x600_1334858602661-WhiteRosePhotos.jpg
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Female Posts : 150

Back to top Go down

Bouquet Advice.... Empty can't find the edit button at top...

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/20/2012, 6:54 pm

How easy is it to care the specific flowers I'm after?
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Back to top Go down

Bouquet Advice.... Empty Re: Bouquet Advice....

Post  Chopper 4/20/2012, 7:02 pm

The main thing about flowers is they do not care for your timetable or deadlines. LOL. I think it would be very ambitious of you to try, and probably fun, but the timing would be a b****h. Iris and roses are easy care. Do not know about calla.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/20/2012, 7:14 pm

lol I am ambitious. and the timing does concern me... but I don't know if I want to spend $150 + on real flowers if I can take that same money and keep the plant for future enjoyment.

Iris like warm weather from what I've read. Roses are really pretty and the ones at a local church seem to thrive just fine. I don't much about callas even though they're a favorite of mine. They're also the most expensive that I've seen. Sad $15 average for one bulb.
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/20/2012, 7:15 pm

Bouquets? What about the light sabers Razz

Bouquet Advice.... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/20/2012, 7:50 pm

lol I like lightsabers. But they're going to be my centerpieces at the reception.... maybe the aisle markers too. Plus they're something the wedding party can hold. I like bouquets and have always wanted my own bouquet. Yes, I was one of those little girls who tried planning every little aspect of her wedding. Now, I'm trying to obtain the dream themed wedding on a very strict budget..... Laughing
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/20/2012, 8:33 pm

+1 chopper!

Having been a bride on a budget, go with a florist or someone who was a florist. They know what to do, where to get it, how to do it, and were to save money. The flowers for me and my attendant, the groom, BMan, and ushers were very affordable. I knew I was in good hands and didn't have to think about that one. Trust me, you'll have plenty of other things to deal with!

If your attendants are carrying sabers, what will the men carry? What are they wearing? Tuxes and dresses, or robes? How many attendants? Will you dress the flower & ring bearers as ewoks? Lots of sabers (especially quality looking ones) will be expensive.

In the original 3 the women were not warriors. Princess Lea and her gold bikini was the highlight of the females in the trilogy. The prequel has women fighters. Which way are you going to go for your clothing?

I'd forgoe the SW pin. That will probably be the most expensive thing to have, especially in quantity. And few will see it.

Calla lilies are bulbs that grow in the winter here. This year they are still in bloom now (April). Do you see them out there? I've never seen a red one, and don't know if they are as hardy as whites or not. Stick it in the ground and water occasionally, although they do like acidic conditions where possible. Blooms last quite a while on the plant. The stems would be easily broken and bent off the plant, like day lilies.

Roses are easy too. But having them bloom when you want (or in your case BUD) is NOT easy. Much easier to have your florist/arranger buy a bunch.

When this comes together, do post pictures! It's giving me great ideas for a goth wedding!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/20/2012, 9:57 pm

Oh I plan on posting pictures when we can get them! I'll be to excited to show off the wedding pics to not post them in some way.

As for the attendents, we originally thought of having the ladies as Jedis and the gentlemen as Sith Lords. Then we tossed the idea around a little more and wondered if it'd be better to just let them choose between the two and dress in what they'll enjoy, as long as they stay a Jedi or a Sith. Therefore, both can carry lightsabers. So far, I have a MoH and two Bridesmaids with a possible third bridesmaid and flowergirl. my FH has his best man and our ring bearer, his now 8 year old son. then I've been told that his niece and nephew and a few others MAY or may not be in the party. I don't think we'll have that completely figured out until we set an actual date. Plus, fh says he has the lightsabers. Just need to get them from his ex. (Very long story!) So alot of the cost to the lightsabers is already dealt with. At this time, I'm the only one really needing anything in regards to flowers.

There's also a whole universe dedicated to Star Wars that goes beyond the 6 movies. I'm thinking my hair will be done in some fashon similar to Padme's in the Clone Wars, 2nd chapter. My gown is already paid for and luckily I can still fit it..... especially if I loose my lazy tummy. lol FH has his costume with the exception of the cloak and boots and that'll be less than $100.

Red callas are beautiful!!! I linked a pic of one in my very first post. Smile and I'll keep looking around. Seeing as I have plenty of time now, I'm just doing some major homework and to try and better my ideas before bouncing them onto him. And since I've heard that Callas are poisonous (and not poisonous... really confused on that honestly!), I've already gotten the comment of "You want to put poison on our tables????" and I'm like "Nooo!! and they don't HAVE to be REAL either..."

Hence... looots of homework for me....and I'm in a desert....

and these are the reception table centerpiece idea: Bouquet Advice.... 600x600_1334021424360-57949214241ddc88473b

If there's plenty to go around, I'm thinking of using lightsabers as wedding party accessories, aisle markers, and centerpieces. the aisle markers and centerpieces as displayed in the image. Then the tables can have flower petals strewn about. So that it's simple, within budget (I hope) and wedding like.

Last edited by lonewolfrissy on 4/20/2012, 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding an image)
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/20/2012, 10:57 pm

Chopper wrote:The main thing about flowers is they do not care for your timetable or deadlines. LOL. I think it would be very ambitious of you to try, and probably fun, but the timing would be a b****h. Iris and roses are easy care. Do not know about calla.

Iris blooms earlier than callas even come up. My different colors or iris are all blooming at different times and my callas are only about 4" high.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/21/2012, 12:13 am

So maybe get the best quality silk flowers I can afford? or be a little more open minded?
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/21/2012, 12:23 am

What cool centerpieces!!!

If you have children around, expect a saber war to break out.

You definitely have a Padame look.

If you are going to be the wedding coordinator and the bride (and that's fine to do!), you'll soon recognize the need to delegate tasks. Find a person to do it to your specs and budget.

The other thing about the iris and lily...heavy on pollen!

I know you are in the Palm Desert. That's why I asked if you see them in bloom now. It will be easier if they are (routinely...we've had weird weather) in bloom when you schedule your wedding (weather permitting) than if they are not. If we swing into a draught, they'll be harder to find &/or more expensive.

WOW...apparently calla's are poisonous! They are all over the complex...it's a wonder my children survived! I thought for certain your friends meant oleander.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~mknicele/projects/poisonousplants/plant.html

Many people are unaware of the poisons that are contained in various plants. Some of the most frequent poisonings reported to the poison control center are from plant exposure mostly in children younger than 5 years sampling houseplants.[8] The cally lily has three poisonous agents: oxalic acid, asparagine, and a protein. Although the entire plant is harmful, the roots are the most dangerous. [1] Oxalic acid is very toxic and can have severe adverse affects to your body. Some symptoms include: burning of the mouth and throat, swelling of the tongue and mouth, nausea and/or vomiting and diarrhea. [1] Oxalic acid is a very strong acid and irritates tissues targeting many organs: kidneys, stomach, heart, eyes, skin, brain, nerves, and the mucous membrane. Consuming as little as 5 grams can be fatal. The acid binds to calcium in the blood to form calcium oxalate, small, insoluble, needlelike crystals. [3]
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/21/2012, 2:06 pm

I know!!! If there's plenty to go around, they'll be centerpieces and maybe aisle markers....

Yes, children will be around and I already expect a saber war breakout. Kids will be kids! Smile

Thank you. Smile

As for being both bride and coordinator, I'm not sure about the coordinating part. I know I have help planning with my FH and my brother is offering to help us plan, maybe even find deals with some stuff.

Maybe it'll be best that I go with silk then? To avoid any accidental poisonings and allergy attacks?

Yeah Palm desert... Found out that FH wants to aim for early spring to avoid the major heat waves that we're currently experiencing. Which means: March, April, May.

and if my callas' are majorly poisonous in the roots, I'll definitely be careful in handling them. And yeah, there's plenty of oleanders around here. They haven't bloomed yet to my knowledge. Our mulberry trees have blooms though.
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/21/2012, 4:04 pm

Your Wedding sounds like it will be wonderful, so refreshing to go against the 'norm' dont you think !
many many moons ago I was a Bride on a budget. Hubby and I paid ourselves. In England we tend not to have as many Bridesmaids as here in the USA. I had 2, small bouquets reasonably priced but from the Florist, as was my slightly larger bouquet. I think there are some things that you should leave to people in the know !

Have you seen the wonderful silk flowers they have these days? Flippin awesome and no one can tell! Unless they try to sniff. Maybe you could compromise and do some fresh and some silk? Silk for the kiddies as they are sure to bash them around you know. As for keepsakes, I still have my bouquet ( dried ) and the fresh flowers that were on the cake and hubby's buttonhole. But with silk they will look as beautiful as ever.

To cut costs think of all the things YOU can make or complete and use the money for the other things. The flowers at church were a wedding gift from a family friend, she arranged flowers at church weekly. For the aisle markers she used fake ones that had been left from a previous wedding! Hubby and I made our cake and we bought bridesmaid dresses and my dress on the cheap, real cheap. you wouldn't believe me if i told you. My mother altered each one to fit. I made all the favors. There are so many ways that you can cut your budget and you will be surprised how many friends and family would love to take on tasks or be creative for you !

I love Calla lillies.. my favourite EVER. The simplest and most striking bouquets can be just with a few long stems !

Spend your time finding a florist or a silk florist that can work with your budget! I personally would advise against growing your own. It would add so much stress and worry to your schedule nearer the time.

I look forward to seeing the results !

kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/21/2012, 4:09 pm

You could actually save a bundle by buying those silk flowers from the craft store and using COUPONS! or check out online craft stores that might offer a discount for larger numbers. For quality control you could always ask if they would be willing to send you a sample flower before you place a large order?
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  lonewolfrissy 4/21/2012, 8:07 pm

That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of asking for a sample flower. I know the ones at the local Walmart look nice, but they want like $5 for a stem. Sad I'll keep looking. I may just go with a simple calla lily only bouquet, since they're my favs! It's going to be part of a tattoo I'm contemplating.

I got lucky with my gown. I didn't need any alterations on it and it still fits. xD
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down