Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Toplef10Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 I22gcj10Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Toplef10Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 I22gcj10Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG

+32
rabbithutch
plantoid
brainchasm
Jahluka
TxGramma
sanderson
Marc Iverson
LittleGardener
Lindacol
Turan
Turnip
R&R 1011
llama momma
johnsonjlj
cheyannarach
quiltbea
mollyhespra
CapeCoddess
Goosegirl
Nonna.PapaVino
JustMe
GWN
Unmutual
1airdoc
elysia
doneal
CharlesB
trukrebew
kittykat
marc-in-pa
JennAndCompany
jmsieglaff
36 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Empty Re: Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/21/2014, 7:54 am

Lookin' good, JM!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Empty Re: Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG

Post  jmsieglaff 6/7/2014, 11:44 am

Got another ~2 lb of lettuce with a little spinach.  Get about this much every week--plenty for us and sharing with family.  The spinach is done now and will be followed by bush green beans--Blue Lake 274 and Dragon Tongue.  It was the worst year for spinach we've had--through the first week of May is was too cool, then the last half of May had plenty of 80s which the spinach didn't like.  We've always grown the variety Space and this year also tried Regal along side it.  The Regal bolted already and we could have gotten another small cutting from the Space--but just pull them to get the beans in.  But it has been a great spring for lettuce and radishes.

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Lettuc10
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/8/2014, 1:57 am

Cool ... almost impossible to get enough spinach or lettuce, IMO. Even if I grew huge amounts, I'd still know neighbors who'd love some.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 6/8/2014, 7:33 pm

jmsieglaff, Just curious...how much lettuce did you plant and what kinds? Trying to figure out how much to plant for my family. I know harvest will vary for each garden and conditions, but was thinking it would give me a gauge to start with.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 6/8/2014, 11:01 pm

Right now I've got 2 squares with 4 plants each of Flashy Butter Oak and Green Oakleaf.  In another garden, that is just short of 2 feet wide I have 6 plants each of Red Romaine, Buttercrunch, Green Oakleaf, and Bronze Beauty.  So that's a total of 32 lettuce plants -- plus our 4 yr old son has about 10 lettuce plants in a container on the deck, but he likes to munch on that when we're outside, so call it effectively 36 lettuce plants.  I grow all lettuce as cut and come again--even the ones that are heading types, like Red Romaine and Buttercrunch.

I've struggled in the past with summer time lettuce (July and August), but I just sowed more lettuce seed and will be securing burlap a foot or so above those squares for partial shade as I know the lettuce plants we have now will be reaching their end in the next few weeks (increasing heat and age).  So I'm hoping I'll do better this year with mid/late summer lettuce.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 6/8/2014, 11:25 pm

Thanks that helps a lot. I didn't want to start off way over or under; not that it really matters that much, I could always plant more or give some away. But this way I have a better idea of how many to start out with. I was planning on doing mine as cut and come again too. And in our Texas heat I will definitely have to do some shading as well to keep a summer crop going. I'm actually thinking of placing one of my new beds in a partial shade location and using it for a salad bed.

Thanks again for all the info!
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 6/19/2014, 7:15 pm

TXGramma, how are your lettuce plans going?

The garden is growing like gang busters here.  Today was garlic scape harvest!  The garlic is doing great this year.  I've also rigged up my burlap for lettuce shade, the seeds below have sprouted and are growing well.

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Garlic10
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Garlic11
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Garlic12
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 06-16-10
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/22/2014, 9:20 am

Looks great, JM!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 7/3/2014, 9:29 am

Who doesn't like pictures, I know I do, so I thought I'd post some more of how the garden is doing here in early July.  Temperatures have been near normal and we've been very wet--so the garden and mosquitoes are growing prolifically.

Looking south at the main garden beds:
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3210

Main north garden bed:  Peppers close, Tatume squash along trellis, then broccoli and onions, far under the burlap are carrots and summer lettuce (Lemon squash along trellis). Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3211

And the view from the opposite side:
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3212

The south main bed:  Cucuumbers along the trellis, lots of tomatoes, bush zuke, and green beans, Lemon/Tatume seeds just went in along the trellis as the sugar snap peas finished up.
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3213

And the opposite view:
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3214

Deck bed with garlic, tomatillos and sweet potato vines getting going in the middle:
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3215

Some container tomatoes and my winter experiment pepper:
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3216

This Sungold gave us our first tomatoes yesterday:
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Sungol10

And a cluster of cherry types on a plant from a seed our son spit out and asked to plant in early April.  It will be interesting to see how similar/different these fruits end up to ones from the store.  The plant is prolific and setting tons of fruit!
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July3217
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/4/2014, 2:29 am

Wow, you've got a lot of stuff! Looks healthy too.

How many tomatoes and peppers do you have planted?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/4/2014, 2:47 am

JM, Everything looks so healthy!  okay 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 7/4/2014, 7:59 am

Thanks!  I've got 12 peppers in my main garden, 2 Serrano, 2 King of the North, and 8 Yummy.  I've also have my winter experiment pepper and a Fish pepper in pots on the deck and sunk in my 6 extra Yummy pepper plants in the asparagus bed.  Tomatoes went crazy this year, we have 13 plants--up from 5 last year, partly to due to small garden expansion, but I also added 4 new tomato containers where I'm growing the dwarf tomatoes.  There are just too many varieties to try!  All is healthy so far.  Noticed the Black and Brown Boar had a some leaves with spots, so I pruned it fairly aggressively.  I'll take tomatoes in my lunch everyday and have them with dinner.  Our son is a tomato eating machine and we'll see how our 1 1/2 year old likes tomatoes (she hasn't cared for the store bought ones thus far and DW was going to try them again and I quickly took them off her plate because I want to try again with garden fresh ones.)  Even then I'm guessing my neighbors will benefit from all the tomato plants.  I'll probably hit my tomatoes with Neem Oil as well as squash as preventative for foliage fungal issues--which given the wet year could become an issue.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/5/2014, 6:59 am

Everything looks great!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Empty 2014 Garlic Harvest

Post  jmsieglaff 7/6/2014, 12:08 pm

Ideally I thought the garlic could go another week, but with rounds of thunderstorms expected again this evening and again tomorrow night, I decided to harvest the garlic today.  I figured I'll take slightly smaller bulbs over the risk of a couple inches of rain on top of already wet soil and possibly rotting the bulbs (we had close to 9.00" of rain in June).  The harvest looks good 28 hardneck and 8 softneck bulbs.  Not the largest bulbs I've grown, but plenty to use and replant in the fall.

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Garlic13
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Garlic14
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Garlic16
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 Empty Mid July update

Post  jmsieglaff 7/16/2014, 10:36 pm

I wanted to share some pictures of how the garden was doing in mid July.  The summer here has been near normal in the temperature department and quite wet.

North bed:  Peppers, squash, summer broccoli, onions, lettuce and carrots.  More lettuce/spinach to go in where spring broccoli was pulled and where onions will soon be pulled.
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1610Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1611

South bed:  Green beans, bush zucchini, a couple onions, a tiny Okra plant,  lots of tomatoes and cucumbers.  We've harvested Sungolds so far, but 3 other varieties are starting to show color!
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1612
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1613
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1614

Test garden (we riped out some bushes and need to do a border):  Experiment tomato, some flowers, Blacktail Mountain Watermelon and mini pumpkins (just off the picture):
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1615

The garden from one of the bedrooms in our house.  I just liked the way it looked from afar.

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1510

Not pictured are the tomatillos and sweet potoatoes by the deck which are doing well.  And the tomatoes/peppers/lettuce in containers on the deck are also doing well.

Hope everyone is having a fun time in their gardens.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/17/2014, 1:37 am

Really nice!  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/17/2014, 9:25 pm

Looks great. What is summer broccoli? I've never grown broccoli, but have it fixed in my mind as a spring and fall or overwintering crop.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 7/18/2014, 1:11 pm

I grew Apollo and Asparabroc (both spring/early summer sprouting broccoli varieties) which produced nicely from late May - early July.  I'm also trying a new summer sprouting broccoli this year:  https://jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=01438&c=88&p=Summer+Purple+Sprouting+Broccoli

I'll see how that goes.  The plants are doing well, but no broccoli sprouts yet.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/18/2014, 5:16 pm

Well that's very cool indeed. I'm not used to hearing that term at all, even from companies that sell purple sprouting. I'll be very interested to hear how it goes for you, if you'll keep us up on it, along with what temperatures they were able to withstand before bolting.

Apollo looked very interesting, and I was thinking I might try it sometime soon. Territorial says you cut off the main head when it's not too big, and then the sprouts just keep coming.

How hot was it before your Apollo bolted? I'm assuming the reason your production stopped is because it bolted ...?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 7/18/2014, 5:51 pm

I've grown Apollo for a few years and this was the first year with Asparabroc.  They grew, matured, tasted the same.  I couldn't tell them apart.  I pull them because they stopped producing side shoots--that's typically what happens to my sprouting broccoli by early July, sometimes a bit earlier in a hot year.  If I left them in they would still produce just at a much slower rate and I pull them to free up space for fall lettuce, spinach and radishes.  Those really didn't bolt, as long as I stay on top of picking them the small flower heads don't open.  We strip any big leaves off and roast them like asparagus or eat them fresh--the side shoot stems are my favorite part, crisp, sweet, and tender.  With the summer sprouting stuff I'm hoping to get a similar product but more in later summer and through fall, we'll see how it goes.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/18/2014, 7:42 pm

Thanks for the response, and please do keep us apprised. Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies, and I'd love to be able to grow some in our weather, which is either hot in the first place (90 to 100+ degrees in summer, often for a month or more at a time) or has weird bursts of heat when you don't expect it (95 degrees two months before our last frost date).
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 7/19/2014, 4:20 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Yeah, yield per square foot might well be higher.  I hope you bring up your spacing and results again later on once you've harvested the onions and seen how your experiment turned out.

Well my experiment is done.  My results are surprising, but ultimately the experiment I don't think is valid and I need to redo it again next year.

So I grew Copra onions from seed and did 3 squares @ 9/sq and 3 squares with alternating 5-4-5.  I also did one square @ 9/sq with sets purchased at a store.

3 squares @ 9/sq yielded 27 onions.
3 squares @ 5-4-5 yielded 14 onions.
1 square of sets @ 9/sq yielded 8 onions.

The 9/sq squares were at the edge of the bed.  The 5-4-5 squares were one set of squares in from the 9/sq and had broccoli next to them.  Ultimately the spacing did not have the impact I was expecting, but the onions neighboring the broccoli in the 5-4-5 arrangement did terrible whether due to competition for nutrients and/or shading from the broccoli once they became large.

Average weight 9/sq:  70.8 g (2.5 oz) Total weight 9/sq: 1911 g (4.2 lbs)
Average weight 5-4-5:  33.5 g (1.16 oz) Total weight 5-4-5:  469 g (1.01 lbs)
Average weight sets @ 9/sq:  66.6 g (2.35 oz) Total weight sets:  533g (1.17 lbs)

As you can see in the pictures below there was a decent variance in the 9/sq some much larger than golf ball, probably baseball sized and some smaller (standard deviation was 33.6 g).  The 5-4-5 arrangement had a small standard deviation of 18.6 g--but they were all small due to likely competition and shade from the broccoli.

Conclusions:  The experiment needs to be redone without one group of onions getting dominated by the broccoli.  One conclusion that is valid no matter what the 9/sq spacing produced a decent crop of onions 4.2 lbs in 3 sq ft.  I don't mind some smaller onions, especially when you only want a little bit for something like some sauteed or grilled zucchini or green beans, etc.  You can see the layout below (the squares labeled broccoli had broccoli and were pulled in early July).

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1910
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 July1911
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/19/2014, 4:44 pm

Cool. You did get some reasonable volume even with the crowding.

Is there any way you recommend cooking smallish onions? They are such a pain to peel I'm thinking about baking some that I have whole in their skins.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 7/19/2014, 5:48 pm

We use most of our onions in soups salsas or for sautéing or grilling veggies so the small ones might be just enough for prepping a side dish of vegetables.  The bigger ones will work for soups and salsas.

Not sure I'll repeat the experiment might just go 9/sq next year but figure out something else to put by the broccoli like radishes.  Those would be done before the broccoli gets too big.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 8/1/2014, 10:45 pm

We're getting a nice harvest of bush beans now.  This year I'm growing Blue Lake 274 again and are trying Dragon Tongue.  The Dragon Tongue are beautiful and are very tasty--sweeter and juicer than the Blue Lake 274 and just as crisp.

Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 August10

And below is a side dish for dinner the other day:
Garlic - Construction Block and Cattle Panel SFG - Page 5 August11
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next