Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Florida! Toplef10Hello from Florida! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Florida! I22gcj10Hello from Florida! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Florida! Toplef10Hello from Florida! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Florida! I22gcj10Hello from Florida! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Florida!

2 posters

Go down

Hello from Florida! Empty Hello from Florida!

Post  Lepidoptera_36 4/15/2012, 6:51 pm

Hello,

I am new to square foot gardening. My previous gardening experience has only been growing beans in a section of my mom's garden as a teenager, and since then only container plants (right now I have green onions and lemon trees in pots).

I just built a small 2' x 2' square foot garden for my daughter. We are currently living in a condo, and I only have a small patio for gardening. The rules here also require me to be able to carry all items on my patio inside if a hurricane is expected, so I chose a small enough size to fit through my door without tilting it. If it goes well I might be able to squeeze another one out there (but a second one would need shade tolerant plants if I did that).

I'm hoping it will do well (though I'm a little concerned about starting it now because all of the local farmer's markets are from fall to spring, and are closed through the hot summer).

flower
Lepidoptera_36
Lepidoptera_36

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Hello from Florida! Empty Re: Hello from Florida!

Post  givvmistamps 4/16/2012, 1:29 pm

Hi Lepidoptera! Hello from Florida! 396615 I am just getting my own garden started, and I'm in FL also. There actually are quite a lot of things that can still be grown, so don't worry too much. Also, with care being taken, even things that are considered "off season" in the summer can be grown longer than what the farms manage out in their fields. Shade cloth over lettuce is an example.

Have you read All New Square Foot Gardening?

Regarding the growing season, it helped me a lot when I looked at this website: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021 That gives a starting point for what will grow in FL, as reported by UF's extension service. The SFG method allows us to grow things for a longer period, since we can use shade cloth over a small space very easily...or people up north can use something to protect plants from frost.

I have two boys (ages 5 & 10) helping me with the garden...some of the stuff I'm growing especially for them like the carrots, their favorite veggie, and the pumpkins we'll be growing up a trellis.

What will you and your daughter be growing? How much sun does the other section of your patio get? If it's at least four hours, lettuce might do okay there in summer, or I was thinking some herbs might like that a lot. It's also possible that if you put the second box up on legs or a small table you could extend the amount of sunlight you'll get there.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here. There are a lot of people here who are happy to share their experience with us!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Lepidoptera_36 4/17/2012, 9:56 am

Thank you for the link, that is helpful!

I planted tomatoes and sugar snap peas (I heard kids like those, and although I was worried it would get too hot for them, they are already sprouted and growing fast). My daughter planted a single pumpkin seed which her teacher at school gave her, and in the square next to it some pretty flowers (I forgot the name). I think the flowers will be done by the time the pumpkin gets big and needs the extra space.

To be honest, I was thinking her pumpkin seed from school wouldn't sprout, but I was wrong. I just got the support structure built for it yesterday.

Yes, I've started reading All New Square Foot Gardening. I bought it at the recommendation of someone on another forum.

The remaining space on my patio only gets sun until about 11:00 am, but even for the plants that are getting a lot of sun, it is not really full sun because the sunlight is going through a screen (The entire patio, even it's roof, is screened). I've been growing green onions out there with no problems for a couple of years.

I could fit a small box on my front doorstep, but I would have to make it look pretty and I would have to remove one of my other plants (fussy rules about the appearance and number of container plants on the doorsteps from the condo association). That spot also gets intensely hot in the afternoon sun. I keep cactus, a ficus, and a potted papaya tree out there. I have a small space of grass behind my patio, but if I put a garden there I have to pay a $500 fine. That spot also gets hit when the landscaping crew drives by with their broadcast pesticide sprayer.
Lepidoptera_36
Lepidoptera_36

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum