Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Building a composter with fencing... Toplef10Building a composter with fencing... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Building a composter with fencing... I22gcj10Building a composter with fencing... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Building a composter with fencing... Toplef10Building a composter with fencing... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Building a composter with fencing... I22gcj10Building a composter with fencing... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Building a composter with fencing...

+5
floyd1440
Too Tall Tomatoes
RoOsTeR
jennifer37918
wicked
9 posters

Go down

Building a composter with fencing... Empty Building a composter with fencing...

Post  wicked 4/12/2012, 7:02 pm

I am new at composting and would like to build my own. I get the idea of what to do when using fencing but should I build it off the ground on pallets or right on the ground.... thanks

Wicked Smile
wicked
wicked

Back to top Go down

Building a composter with fencing... Empty Re: Building a composter with fencing...

Post  jennifer37918 4/12/2012, 7:10 pm

I set mine right on the ground. Worms have crawled into it and that makes me happy. Very Happy
jennifer37918
jennifer37918

Back to top Go down

Building a composter with fencing... Empty Re: Building a composter with fencing...

Post  RoOsTeR 4/12/2012, 7:14 pm

Right on the ground. I used some old snow fence I had laying around the place for one of my compost bins and it works great. Pallets work good for an enclosure as well if you have any.

Building a composter with fencing... IMAG0002-1

My sister in law gave me the black compost bin about a month or so ago. I was a bit skeptical of it at first and one of my boys would love to paint it like R2-D2, but that thing is a compost machine! Been pretty impressed by it. It builds heat quickly and retains moisture so watering the contents inside is minimal. For free I sure can't complain. tongue

Building a composter with fencing... Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/12/2012, 7:41 pm

On the ground.

Fence-type Compost Bin <-------CLICK

If you want to look at another compost bin design, click on that link and scroll down about 2/3 of the way. There's directions to build a simple but effective compost bin. It might not be pretty but it's functional.
Not having the proper tools, my compost bin was a bit of a pain to build. Got blisters on my hands from using cheapo wire snips to cut the hardware cloth and also from hammering the fence posts into the ground.

Rooster's looks easier to build.

Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 4/12/2012, 8:22 pm

Althoug I built mine as TTT designed and they are working fine. However I like the look of Rooster's too.. It looks easy topick up, move and reload.

It is good to see many different ideas out there and one must decide which one works best for them.

Building a composter with fencing... 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/12/2012, 9:43 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Right on the ground. I used some old snow fence I had laying around the place for one of my compost bins and it works great. Pallets work good for an enclosure as well if you have any.

Building a composter with fencing... IMAG0002-1

Why do they call it snow fence? Do you make that, or buy it? It looks just like a bunch of sticks wired together somehow. I'm looking for something to contain a compost heap. I haven't decided what yet...but whatever it is, it has to be cheap! My husband is getting frustrated with all the incidentals I've had to get since starting my garden...and I still need to find a way to support my cherry tomatoes. (I can't get any pallets because everyone around here re-uses theirs or recycles them and won't give them to me even when they're busted up a bit.)
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/12/2012, 9:55 pm

Snow fence is used as a snow barrier for blowing snow. It's used along highways and interstates here in Colorado. Back in the day, I know it also used to be used on beaches for sand instead of snow. It's used less now around here as "living" snow fence seems to work and look better. I think it's fairly pricey, or I at least wouldn't call it cheap. This fencing is pretty old, but free to me as we pulled it out of a barn we tore down here on our property. Here's some:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS454US454&q=snow+fence&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11474732226955298609&sa=X&ei=oYWHT8m9L4O58AGJwMGcCA&ved=0CI8BEPICMAE
As you can see, I also have a pile just sitting on the ground and it does just fine without anything. I keep meaning to put up pallets to contain it, but never seem to get around to it. If you want cheap, this pile method is free.
I will admit, I have the benefit of living on a farm and have no one to contend with when it comes to my compost piles and their appearance or where I place them.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/12/2012, 10:08 pm

I don't think he'd go for that price right now. We have one full-size pallet, and a half-size one, but I'd need at least one more to get a three-sided arrangement going, then I'd still need a gate of some kind. BTW: I'm not at all worried about neighbors complaining. This town doesn't even have leash laws (MUCH to my irritation!), so I doubt they have laws concerning "unsightly" compost heaps. I just have to keep my pile away from the road or the trash/recycling guys will pick it up on organic waste day thinking it's intended for them. Smile My REAL issue is making my boys understand it's not a place to play...the only way I can convince them to stay OUT of the pile is to put up a fence to keep them out.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer37918 4/12/2012, 10:10 pm

givvmistamps wrote:

...I'm looking for something to contain a compost heap. I haven't decided what yet...but whatever it is, it has to be cheap!

My compost "container" is an idea from Mel (can't remember if it's in the book or online). 10 feet of 2' wide 1" hole chicken wire connected in a circle with zip ties to make a circle 3' in diameter. I pile everything in it and when it's time to turn it, I just pick it up and set it next to the pile. Then, I scoop everything back in, turning it naturally. Seems like he also suggested you could have multiples that are all at different stages of cooking.

Super easy, fairly cheap, no tools needed.
jennifer37918
jennifer37918

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/12/2012, 10:21 pm

Wow, that's only $10 cheaper than the snow fence since I need it to be 4' high...so $40 instead of $50. I can get a pound of composting worms for $35, and make my own compost bin out of an old plastic storage tub. Guess I'll just keep piling the weeds & such in the corner of the yard until I can get down to Orlando for a day.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/12/2012, 10:30 pm

Guess I'll just keep piling the weeds & such in the corner of the yard until I can get down to Orlando for a day.

It works and is free! Just like in my picture, the pile in the middle composts just fine without anything. As for the boys...I got twin boys that turn 10 tomorrow. I take them out with me to the compost and have them help me each time I turn the piles. I pull the rods out and let them feel how hot they are and explain to them in simple terms what's going on and why it's getting hot. One gets to help me turn, the other gets to control the hose. They both get to pee on the piles. Boys will be boys! They aren't gonna hurt the pile and boys hose off pretty easily Very Happy and they're learning something whether they know it or not.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/12/2012, 10:39 pm

jennifer37918 wrote:
givvmistamps wrote:

...I'm looking for something to contain a compost heap. I haven't decided what yet...but whatever it is, it has to be cheap!

My compost "container" is an idea from Mel (can't remember if it's in the book or online). 10 feet of 2' wide 1" hole chicken wire connected in a circle with zip ties to make a circle 3' in diameter. I pile everything in it and when it's time to turn it, I just pick it up and set it next to the pile. Then, I scoop everything back in, turning it naturally. Seems like he also suggested you could have multiples that are all at different stages of cooking.

Super easy, fairly cheap, no tools needed.

This is making me rethink my compost bin this year. It would be so easy to have something like this or what Rooster has.
If I take down my current bin, I'll be able to use the hardware cloth to make a compost sifter.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Building a composter with fencing... Empty composter

Post  wicked 4/13/2012, 5:40 am

Thanks everyone....all good info....

wicked
wicked

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/13/2012, 8:36 am

Building a composter with fencing... 889526Rooster, I just re-read what you wrote. If I let my boys pee on the compost I could get arrested; we're not out on a farm. Building a composter with fencing... 889526Maybe if my 5y/o did it, we would get away with it, but my 10y/o, no. What a shame.

I thought of one acquaintance whose husband has recently cleaned out their barn. It occurs to me that they might have some things laying around that would work to contain our compost, so I'll try to catch her on the phone.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 4/13/2012, 2:36 pm

I built mine using 4 ft tall fence wire, 2 in wide by 4 in tall squares(app $50 for a 50 ft roll made 4 bins) cutting at 12 1/2 ft lengths. I bent the tag end to close the circle. Just open the circle, move the bin over, remake the circle , turn into the rebuilt bin.

Building a composter with fencing... Pb272911

When I made my cuts I left the 2 inch "end" to bend around to close the loop.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  tombuschy 11/2/2012, 6:56 pm

There is one great advantage for building right on the ground - you increase exposure to microorganisms, millipedes and earthworms available in soil.
Building a compost pile above a wood pallet might limit this exposure, although it can improve aeration. Overall, I do think it's better to build the pile right on the ground.
tombuschy
tombuschy

https://sites.google.com/site/allcompost/

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 11/2/2012, 7:23 pm

tombuschy wrote:There is one great advantage for building right on the ground - you increase exposure to microorganisms, millipedes and earthworms available in soil.
Building a compost pile above a wood pallet might limit this exposure, although it can improve aeration. Overall, I do think it's better to build the pile right on the ground.

I also find that building em on the ground makes it easier to turn the pile

I'd hate to fight with anything down there that would make shoveling/raking any more difficult than it needs to be.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down