Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... Toplef10Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... I22gcj10Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... Toplef10Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... I22gcj10Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler...

+8
GWN
JeanneRamick
HereIGrowAgain
plantoid
givvmistamps
camprn
Chopper
kittykat
12 posters

Go down

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... Empty Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler...

Post  kittykat 4/11/2012, 5:18 pm

It was great our last downstairs tenants wanted to use the compost tumbler I wasn't using... However, I should have given out instructions...

*peach pits don't compost
*avocado pits don't compost
*chicken bones don't compost (ugh!)
*stacked up bunches of egg shells don't compost

The down side - the tenants moved on and I've been sifting compost for 3 days now...

The up side - I've probably sifted out about a 5-gallon bucket of compost/fine egg shells to add to a very neglected flower bed... AND - I get my composter back!

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 63597
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... Empty Re: Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler...

Post  Chopper 4/11/2012, 5:21 pm

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 641297
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... Empty Re: Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler...

Post  camprn 4/11/2012, 5:32 pm

Chopper wrote:Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 641297
+1.... all that left over stuff will break down, eventually! Very Happy It was a good thing they used it and left you a mini gold mine eh?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/11/2012, 5:59 pm

Sounds like the positives outweigh the negatives to me. Very Happy
Healthier flowers! flower
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/11/2012, 6:05 pm

KK

There is great sense in the very very old saying of " Neither a borrower or a lender be " ,

It took me years learn to stop lending out my gear , offer to rent out it without any liabilities on your part instead .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/11/2012, 6:35 pm

hehe... yeah - lesson learned, for sure... I'm happy for the compost even though it's taking some work to sift it out of the uncomposted debris... I'm sorting out the stuff that just won't compost, as well as the bits of plastic, etc., and throwing the rest back into the tumbler for my next batch...

All's well that ends well...

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 410210
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  HereIGrowAgain 4/11/2012, 8:09 pm

Wish my landlord had a compost tumbler. I'm having trouble turning him on to the idea of composting at all. He thinks it will be unsightly and smell bad.
HereIGrowAgain
HereIGrowAgain

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick 4/11/2012, 9:54 pm

Oh dear, kittykat. It does seem to have turned out well for you, though.

The condo association forbids composting of any kind ... even the fully enclosed tumbler-types.
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/11/2012, 11:06 pm

The condo association forbids composting of any kind ... even the fully enclosed tumbler-types.
That is just nuts
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  kittykat 4/11/2012, 11:11 pm

JeanneRamick wrote:The condo association forbids composting of any kind ... even the fully enclosed tumbler-types.

Awww... So sad!!

Note to self - give tenants composting instructions when you lend out your compost tumbler... 671790
kittykat
kittykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 4/12/2012, 12:15 am

This is why I am kinda on the fence about starting a community compost bin here.

I am afraid that it turn more into trash bin than a compost pile.

Anyone here have experience with communal compost piles for community gardens and the like?
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes 4/12/2012, 12:49 am

Daniel9999 wrote:This is why I am kinda on the fence about starting a community compost bin here.

Anyone here have experience with communal compost piles for community gardens and the like?

Unfortunately, if you want to have a community compost pile, you or someone you trust, will have to monitor everything that gets dropped off for composting. Better yet, you could go to each person's home to collect compost materials. That way you will see exactly what's being turned in for composting and toss out undesirable things.
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 4/12/2012, 12:11 pm

JeanneRamick wrote:

sounds like you need an indoor compost bin, Jeanne. One I found that looks interesting...they are small but anything is better than nothing!

Apartment therapy
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/12/2012, 12:22 pm

Too Tall Tomatoes wrote:
Daniel9999 wrote:This is why I am kinda on the fence about starting a community compost bin here.

Unfortunately, if you want to have a community compost pile, you or someone you trust, will have to monitor everything that gets dropped off for composting. Better yet, you could go to each person's home to collect compost materials. That way you will see exactly what's being turned in for composting and toss out undesirable things.

+1

We have a 3 bin compost bin at the community garden. Members did not break down things correctly (pulling up whole 2' plants and throwing them in), they also threw all kinds of things in that they shouldn't. With a 3 bin system, you work one while the other two are in different stages of the process. With 3 or 4 different languages among members, getting that info out never worked.

One member did the labor, turning the pile regularly.

Then another member came and took it all the goodies, instead of just part.

No more composting!

The trash system at the garden includes mandatory recycling. Brown cans for city compost pile, black for non-compost. Members routinely thrown the wrong thing into those cans, which they presumably have at their homes as well.

Go figure.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down