Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry Toplef10A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry I22gcj10A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry Toplef10A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry I22gcj10A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry

+7
Grandpop
rod champion
snibb
lisaphoto
walshevak
llama momma
sfg4uKim
11 posters

Go down

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry Empty A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 6:33 am

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry 471599 (Why have I never noticed this emoticon before? I started off in the military as a Morse operator. - ... _ _ _ ... .... . ._.. ._ _.)

What does one do when there's a GREAT program such as PAR (Plant a Row for the Hungry) and the major partner is . . . Scotts Miracle-Gro's GRO1000 Project?

I hate Scotts (Monsanto) for the chemicals they use but I hate seeing a person go hungry too. Which is "the least worst" - filling the hungry with chemicals (which they get any way) or standing on principles and NOT participating?

There will be a GRO1000 project in Baltimore and as a member of the Garden Writers Association, we're asked to help out with things like this.

GRO 1000 = The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company established GRO1000 as a commitment to install 1,000 gardens
and green spaces in the United States and select international sites by 2018. The last installation will
be completed in 2018, which coincides with the 150th anniversary of the founding of the company.
GRO1000 creates a partnership of national and local groups to collectively advocate for and demonstrate
the benefits of gardening and green space development in local communities.

Can I learn enough from Scotts (hack, spit) about STARTING such projects to justify rubbing up against them . . . in public?

HELP! I need opinions! My emotions (and emoticons) are all over the place:
Embarassed Twisted Evil pale affraid tongue Shocked Evil or Very Mad What a Face 🐷 :scratch: A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry 615992

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry Empty Re: A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry

Post  llama momma 4/11/2012, 7:35 am

No The day I see Scotts/Monsanto participate in a hunger effort that did not use their chemicals is the day I would participate. Otherwise you are nodding your approval to their chemicals. I think they would have nothing to do with the program unless it promoted their name and bottom line disguised as goodwill, and/or had a tax write off attached. They know they sell poison but the dollar rules. The poor can be helped in other ways. This is a grumpy opinion of one who is off to get her first cup of morning coffee. Hot cup of coffee
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry Empty Re: A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry

Post  walshevak 4/11/2012, 9:39 am

Guess you can't participate and keep pointing out the nasty chemicals in Scotts/Miracle Gro products. Twisted Evil

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/11/2012, 10:04 am

How about starting a "Plant a square", educating friends and members of different forums about SFG and suggesting "plant a square". Then suggesting what produce would be best. Maybe a crop that will produce the most, or calling a food bank and asking what they need the most. Or, if you have a lot of time on your hands, start an organic community garden. Churches usually have some land their not using that they would be willing to let you use. Plus they might have volunteers in the church willing to help out with it and donate a good portion of the garden to the needy. There are so many ways you can make a difference yourself without having to be associated with a company whose practices you do not agree with.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 10:05 am

Guess I can't wear a "Monsanto Sucks!" t-shirt either.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 4/11/2012, 10:12 am

Grow an entire box and give it away....plant whatever you want so you don't have a dilemna-Monsanto seeds or not-and then let the hungry eat...

http://thewealthyearth.com/because-i-have-been-given-much
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 10:13 am

lisaphoto wrote:How about starting a "Plant a square", educating friends and members of different forums about SFG and suggesting "plant a square". Then suggesting what produce would be best. Maybe a crop that will produce the most, or calling a food bank and asking what they need the most. Or, if you have a lot of time on your hands, start an organic community garden. Churches usually have some land their not using that they would be willing to let you use. Plus they might have volunteers in the church willing to help out with it and donate a good portion of the garden to the needy. There are so many ways you can make a difference yourself without having to be associated with a company whose practices you do not agree with.

The community garden is in my 5-year plan - there's a possibility a homeless shelter is taking over the grounds of a closed former psychiatric hospital and will have plenty of space. This is a great idea, but there's no time to organize anything in the short term. Maybe if my SFG business grows I'll have the time & finances to be more philanthropic . . . but I haven't broken even yet. Very Happy

If you don't mind (or would you rather do it?) I'd like to make the suggestion of the "Plant a Square" to the Foundation - giving you full credit of course.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 10:17 am

You guys have some great ideas for the FUTURE and ALTERNATIVES, but . . .

. . . I need guidance on THIS SPECIFIC project as it relates to my
helping out the Garden Writers Association (Mel is also a
member of the GWA).

Very Happy

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 4/11/2012, 10:19 am

Feed the people.. " the greatest of these is love"
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/11/2012, 10:33 am

I get the feeling that you are almost obligated to participate because of your gardening column and that you will be responsible for writing about it. If that is the case, go, do and keep preaching that are organic alternatives to anyone who will listen. And point out that whatever gardening method you use, donating excess is the goal. It's a shame Scotts products are going to be used because the concept is fantastic.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Grandpop 4/11/2012, 10:59 am

sfg4uKim wrote:You guys have some great ideas for the FUTURE and ALTERNATIVES, but . . .

. . . I need guidance on THIS SPECIFIC project as it relates to my
helping out the Garden Writers Association (Mel is also a
member of the GWA).

Very Happy

I was in the newspaper business for 50 years before I retired. I don't know of anything I didn't do over those years including owning, publishing, editor, reporting . . . but one thing that was consistent for that time was a weekly column I wrote. Only one time in those 50 years did I write anything against my will or beliefs . . . regardless of the consequences (another story). I also covered news stores too numerous to mention.
Here's the difference. . . my column was mine and was full of my opinions. My news stories were facts and contained no opinion.
If you are faced with writing a "feel good" piece on the program, fine. Do it and bite your lip, but just don't use your column to promote the program.
And if asked, I would try as diplomatically as possible to explain why without making a big thing about it.
And, in that brief answer, is my two cents!
Grandpop
Grandpop

Male Posts : 79
Location : Newbern, TN, 7A, Extreme West Tn. - 15 Miles from Miss. River.

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 4/11/2012, 11:01 am

I'm pretty sure I didn't come up with plant a square, I think others have suggested it as well. Definitely suggest it to the foundation or the forum moderators if you like, either plant a square, or just donating excess harvest. Or those who sell their produce could donate a percentage of their profits to the needy. I'm not sure what the logistics with donating food to a food bank are and if they would accept home grown produce. I may talk to someone at my church about donating to them, as every Friday they have a free community dinner. It is mainly intended to feed the needy, but anyone is welcome. I never get a chance to go b/c my husband doesn't usually get home until late on Fridays, so I'm not sure what all they would need.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 4/11/2012, 11:05 am

I planted eight squares of sweet potatoes in a 10.5" deep box. It was overwhelming... I got 96 lbs of potatoes.

I contacted the local food pantry, and I gave them about 50 lbs. ( they feed under privileged kids and families). They were THRILLED. Said they normally did not get fresh veggies. Most of what they relied on was dented cans from Wal-mart and some gov't subsidies... Powdered milk, and the like.

Not sure how to track them down in your area, but there is likely someone filling that role.

Last edited by Squat_Johnson on 4/11/2012, 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/11/2012, 11:12 am

There are so many programs with similar focus, forget that one sponsored by Scott's.

Here is one from Second Harvest, there are many food pantry and soup kitchens involved with this.
http://www.2-harvest.org/51/plant-a-row-for-the-hungry/

MANNA

Last edited by camprn on 4/11/2012, 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/11/2012, 11:17 am

I understand the dilemma - it isn't that there aren't other programs we as SFGers wouldn't more readily support, it's that Kim is in a pinch because she's somewhat obligated to participate in this program. I think Grandpop was right on with his advice.

Just a note on food pantries that might not be a first thought. As we get farther into the season-usually midsummer, I've seen our "breadline" program ask home gardeners for fresh herbs. I know that's not the first thing we think of...but that's one of the things that they don't have. They will dry and grind them and they try to get enough to get them through the winter to season meals. They will take any kind of herb. When they do have an abundance of "dented cans", sometimes fresh herbs can really perk it up. That's something that even an apartment grower or someone with not much extra space can grow.
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 11:17 am

walshevak wrote:I get the feeling that you are almost obligated to participate because of your gardening column and that you will be responsible for writing about it. If that is the case, go, do and keep preaching that are organic alternatives to anyone who will listen. And point out that whatever gardening method you use, donating excess is the goal. It's a shame Scotts products are going to be used because the concept is fantastic.

Kay
NOPE. My membership in the GWA is NOT at all linked to my blog.

Think of it as the Master Gardener program (or any program like the lions Club, etc.) where you are asked to volunteer your time (but there's no firm obligation as in the MG program).

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/11/2012, 11:20 am

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:I understand the dilemma - it isn't that there aren't other programs we as SFGers wouldn't more readily support, it's that Kim is in a pinch because she's somewhat obligated to participate in this program. I think Grandpop was right on with his advice.

Just a note on food pantries that might not be a first thought. As we get farther into the season-usually midsummer, I've seen our "breadline" program ask home gardeners for fresh herbs. I know that's not the first thing we think of...but that's one of the things that they don't have. They will dry and grind them and they try to get enough to get them through the winter to season meals. They will take any kind of herb. When they do have an abundance of "dented cans", sometimes fresh herbs can really perk it up. That's something that even an apartment grower or someone with not much extra space can grow.

EASY ENOUGH, Decline on principle.I believe the GWA is also involved with Second Harvest.

Last edited by camprn on 4/11/2012, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added missing thoughts...)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 11:26 am

sfg4uKim wrote:
walshevak wrote:I get the feeling that you are almost obligated to participate because of your gardening column and that you will be responsible for writing about it. If that is the case, go, do and keep preaching that are organic alternatives to anyone who will listen. And point out that whatever gardening method you use, donating excess is the goal. It's a shame Scotts products are going to be used because the concept is fantastic.

Kay
NOPE. My membership in the GWA is NOT at all linked to my blog.

Think of it as the Master Gardener program (or any program like the lions Club, etc.) where you are asked to volunteer your time (but there's no firm obligation as in the MG program).

You guys have given me a LOT to think about. Here are some NEW thoughts:

One of the ways I'm looking at this is to gain KNOWLEDGE for MY future endeavors - what organizations are involved, what government agencies will I need to deal with, is there an already established organization that I would like to model or partner with (LOL NOT Monsanto).

This event will likely allow me to network with other organizations that I will be able to guide "correctly" later on (keep them out of Monsanto's clutches), and being there under the auspices of the GWA might "help" open doors with these people.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 4/11/2012, 11:32 am

camprn wrote:
UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:I understand the dilemma - it isn't that there aren't other programs we as SFGers wouldn't more readily support, it's that Kim is in a pinch because she's somewhat obligated to participate in this program. I think Grandpop was right on with his advice.

EASY ENOUGH, Decline on principle.I believe the GWA is also involved with Second Harvest.

True enough, except there isn't a Second Harvest event planned in my area that they want us to volunteer at.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/11/2012, 11:49 am

Kim -

It sounds like you are serious about SFG being your passion, your mission, your career, and your livelihood. If this event lets you connect with lots of significant individuals who can be guided toward your passion, then I would consider attending. I know that's not the opinion of many who have posted, so I'll try to explain myself.

What I think I hear you saying is that this event might allow you to connect with lots of organizations who are LOOKING to donate to/participate in good charitable garden causes....and Monsanto found them first. Wasn't it nice of them to get all those folks in one place for you? Wink

In education, we are always looking for additional support. Just because an organization donates to a school who does things in a way I would not, doesn't mean I'm not going to approach them and explain what I'm doing. Many organizations allocate their funding to support more than one charitable cause for that very reason. Maybe that organization just didn't know about me or my program and likes my program a whole lot better? Wink

So, for me, the question would be...are there other ways I can reach these people as well or is this worth it to go as a member of GWA just to see what's going on and maybe connect with some organizations where I can make a difference? I think that's what I hear you trying to answer right now...
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoggar 4/11/2012, 11:56 am

I didn't read all the replies but if it were me I would plant a full 4 x 4 the SFG way
and donate it to a local distributor. You could use your connection with the Garden
Writers Association to promote the chemical free way of doing the same thing
as the GRO1000 deal. What are people more likely to do a 20" row in there yard
or a 4" x 4" box in a corner with no tilling or weeding, and they will get more
verity out of an SFG than a row garden. To top it off if your SFG out preforms
the Scotts/Monsanto beds you have put a dent in there claims of better gardens.
A "moral" dilema - Plant a Row for the Hungry 1280598131
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down