Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help Please and pic of strawberries Toplef10Help Please and pic of strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help Please and pic of strawberries I22gcj10Help Please and pic of strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help Please and pic of strawberries Toplef10Help Please and pic of strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help Please and pic of strawberries I22gcj10Help Please and pic of strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help Please and pic of strawberries

+6
Unmutual
AvaDGardner
quiltbea
Noie
UnderTheBlackWalnut
llama momma
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Help Please and pic of strawberries Empty Help Please and pic of strawberries

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 5:25 pm

What can I do for these baby strawberry plants? They are twice as big as when I got them a week ago but they look anemic to me instead of deep green. Planted them 8 days ago, they have endured heavy sustained 25 mph winds. I use a blanket at night over the critter cover when the temps have been low thirties, and by far the worse thing is - a new strawberry owner....me...
Do I need to do something? Also, are they planted too deep? The mix is so soft it flows right to the stems as I water, so now I've been pushing it away from the stems. Out of fifty I have lost one. So Far.. (And from left to right the 3 plants at the very bottom of the picture are older Quinalts and not an issue)

Help Please and pic of strawberries April_11
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Help Please and pic of strawberries Empty Re: Help Please and pic of strawberries

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 5:33 pm

Maybe this picture better shows the contrast of the older greener Quinalts in the left corner of the box compared to the new baby EarlyGlo strawberries -
Help Please and pic of strawberries April_12
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Help Please and pic of strawberries Empty Re: Help Please and pic of strawberries

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/10/2012, 6:54 pm

That's really strange LM! Were the Quinalts transplanted into this box or have they always been there? How much are you watering? thinking
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 7:00 pm

The Quinalts were purchased as older plants and transplanted into this box just last week. The others were purchased as bare roots. I can't tell if this is all transplant shock and still normal for just one week in the box, plus addition of heavy winds and cold, or what the devil is going on. I noticed some of the leaf edges are getting brown, my babies! Sad
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 7:03 pm

Forgot to mention, getting watered once a day.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie 4/10/2012, 7:06 pm

I'm new with the strawberries too, so feel free to ignore anything I say. Very Happy The first few leaves my bareroots developed were about that color. But all the ones after were a nice dark green. I've completely neglected them, so it's nothing I've done to help. Laughing
Noie
Noie

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 7:12 pm

Actually, I'm scared pale but I like what you are saying. It gives me hope. I can see new little leaves sprouting up from the center of the plants so life is happening, just not the vigorous green color I'm expecting....
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/10/2012, 7:16 pm

Strawberries are very fussy about planting depth. You MUST transplant them so the crown is exactly at the soil surface. Too deep, the crown rots, too shallow and the roots dry out. Also be sure to firm the soil well around the roots.

Did you spread the roots out over a cone of soil when planting?

If the answers are yes, then maybe they just need to settle in. Hopefully all is well soon.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Noie 4/10/2012, 7:23 pm

*sigh* And that is what I get for basing my planting on random interweb videos. Rolling Eyes My answer to all that is no. I trimmed off the bottom 1/4 of the roots and used a little shovel to jab them into the ground. Now I'm a bit scared too. pale But I'm 75/75 still, even the ones that got planted a few times because the neighbor's rabbit kept pulling them up.

Just play the odds Llama! One of them has to survive, right?
Noie
Noie

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 7:27 pm

quiltbea wrote:Strawberries are very fussy about planting depth. You MUST transplant them so the crown is exactly at the soil surface. Too deep, the crown rots, too shallow and the roots dry out. Also be sure to firm the soil well around the roots.

Did you spread the roots out over a cone of soil when planting?

If the answers are yes, then maybe they just need to settle in. Hopefully all is well soon.

I tried to get the planting depth right, I tried to keep that soil line above the roots yet below the upward growth of the stems. Soon as I water, that went out the window and the mix flowed right up the stems. So the last 2 days I have been pushing back the mix after watering. In the picture I had not yet pushed it away from the stems. As for spreading the roots out over a cone when planting - No. The directions that came with it said to plant the roots vertically and not flaten them out horizontally. So they were planted standing up. Was that bad?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 7:27 pm

Noie wrote:*sigh* And that is what I get for basing my planting on random interweb videos. Rolling Eyes My answer to all that is no. I trimmed off the bottom 1/4 of the roots and used a little shovel to jab them into the ground. Now I'm a bit scared too. pale But I'm 75/75 still, even the ones that got planted a few times because the neighbor's rabbit kept pulling them up.

Just play the odds Llama! One of them has to survive, right?

Yeah I'm going to start praying.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/10/2012, 7:37 pm

I'm sure the roots will spread out and find a way even if not planted that way. Mel's Mix is so light, they shouldn't have a problem. Spreading out the roots has been the age-old manner of planting strawberries since I was a young'un. Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 7:56 pm

Thank you for the responses, weather report said 2 more nights of freezing temps, ohhboy..
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 4/10/2012, 8:22 pm

LM...RELAX!

Berries are like worms...put them in and they'll do their thing.

SURE there are ideals: sandy soil (well draining); planted in mounds; cones, etc. But if they aren't, that's okay too! Straws put down a tap root and have spreading roots both.

Yes, some of your crowns are a little low. You can pull them up gently, just like you would lettuce. If it stays low, it will effectively drown and collapse (like lettuce).

If your mix isn't dry, don't water. Your nights are really cool...good that you are covering. How warm is it during the day?

Like worms, give them some time to adjust. Warmer weather will help It will be okay!

(I bought 2 quinalts...well 4 quinalts in 2 cups at WM today. I might put them in today, but the cold weather is coming back tomorrow with heavy rain and again on Friday. Or I may leave them until Saturday when the weather will increasingly warm.)

So how do you like quinalt fruits? What are they like? (I'm looking for the ideal everybearing berry.)

I did buy two Sea Scape bare roots a month ago for my strawberry pot. They get ignored, and start to dry, then come back. Of all the plants berries (sequoias), they are growing the most. I don't expect any fruit from those two this year, though.

RELAX Momma!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 4/10/2012, 8:38 pm

My strawberries(bare rooted also, with like 1-2 leaves each) started off looking just like yours. I wouldn't worry too much about them.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2012, 10:39 pm

Thanks, Quiltbea, I am hoping Mel's mix will save myself from my planting inexperience.

AvaDG, thanks also, I will try to gently lift them higher and you reminded me not to overwater. I was use to planting everything in a slight depression so water would flow straight to the roots. But I guess with strawberries in Mel's mix they should perhaps be planted slightly up on a mound. I will try to keep the crown from getting flushed over with mix when I water. Quinalts, I've read they are very sweet, guess I'll find out. EarliGlo is what the Ohio State. Univ. extension service recommends for this area, Quinalts aren't even mentioned so we'll see. Good luck with your Quinalts!
My temperatures are freezing for two nights. Daytime temps for the next few days range from 40's to 50's to 60's and Sunday in the 70's! These strawberries won't know if they're coming or going.

Unmutual, thank you for weighing in with your experience too. It's a comfort and appreciated.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/11/2012, 4:25 pm

llama momma wrote:What can I do for these baby strawberry plants? They are twice as big as when I got them a week ago but they look anemic to me instead of deep green. Planted them 8 days ago, they have endured heavy sustained 25 mph winds. I use a blanket at night over the critter cover when the temps have been low thirties, and by far the worse thing is - a new strawberry owner....me...
Do I need to do something? Also, are they planted too deep? The mix is so soft it flows right to the stems as I water, so now I've been pushing it away from the stems. Out of fifty I have lost one. So Far.. (And from left to right the 3 plants at the very bottom of the picture are older Quinalts and not an issue)

Help Please and pic of strawberries April_11

Howdy LM:

The advice above is right on. We planted some 300 + strawberry plants over the last two years, some a little high, some a little low and some just right. Some roots we spread out, some we poked a hole in the MM and put in the plant, some we pruned the roots and some we did not. We lost maybe 3 or 4 plants total. All were bare root and 5 or 6 different varieties. The signs you have seen with yellowing leaves are not unexpected of bare root strawberries and the fact that you are seeing new growth with new leaves showing dark green you can expect most if not all of your strawberry plants to survive. So take heart. Your plants will be fine.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/11/2012, 4:42 pm

I have both Quinaults and Sequoias.

Help Please and pic of strawberries 06-26-10

Top are Sequoias, smaller but sweeter. Bottom are Quinaults and they are good too, just not as sweet.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/11/2012, 5:40 pm

Appreciate your input Wardinwake and Quiltbea! I will relax and wait till they start up a little production next year. There was someone on the net saying Quinalts were very sweet Quiltbea, hmm, instead I will remember your Sequoias for future reference. This morning I was surprised to find 2 very tiny green berries on 1 of the Quinalts.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/11/2012, 6:20 pm

@llama......Quinaults are sweet, just not as sweet as Sequoias.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/11/2012, 6:32 pm

I see, thank you.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/11/2012, 8:03 pm

Some look to be to deep, but I would not worry about 'planting on a cone' . If most are too deep, just get a bucket and put some of the MM in the bucket. I wouldn't water much with it being so cold. Lightly water when dry only, until you see blooms, then water more often to get lots of berries. MM is great for berries.

I picked about a qt of berries this afternoon. We are expecting a frost tonight.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Help Please and pic of strawberries Empty Of course I didn't know any of this...............

Post  tomperrin 4/11/2012, 8:10 pm

quiltbea wrote:Strawberries are very fussy about planting depth. You MUST transplant them so the crown is exactly at the soil surface. Too deep, the crown rots, too shallow and the roots dry out. Also be sure to firm the soil well around the roots.

Last year's strawberries were transplanted to a new square. These included some ( a lot ) of plants that started from runners. I also added a handful of Sequoia and Quinalts to fill some empty squares. One of the Sequoias came with a fresh blossom, which fruited, and was, of course, consumed. I'm here to tell you that was the best strawberry I've ever had, chemical fertilizers and all. By the time I got back to Lowe's for more, the only ones left were rather pathetic looking.

Some of my transplants have nice color, but don't look like they will bear fruit just yet. Of course, the plants might be as confused as I am by the weather. Warm in the sun, take jacket off. Then come the high cold winds, jacket on. Two minutes later, sun comes out and the process is repeated. It's enough to make a Square Foot Gardener run around in circles!

Tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/11/2012, 8:34 pm

Those are good ideas Littlejo and wow, you got to pick your own berries today, Congrats! I've got that childhood excitement and anticipation waiting to pick my own.

And TomP - the temps here are all over the place too. And like you I am anticipating my own berries to be the best ever. Mm Mm Good. I have not been more excited over anything else I've grown so far. But wait there's more! I want blueberries and apples and pears...and....and... rofl
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 4/11/2012, 8:45 pm

I guess I forgot to point out, I believe the berries are a bit sweeter after a frost! While picking today, ones that have berries on are blooming again!

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next