Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbe Toplef10Newbe 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbe I22gcj10Newbe 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbe Toplef10Newbe 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbe I22gcj10Newbe 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbe

+4
floridagardengirl
givvmistamps
sfg4uKim
Cheri17
8 posters

Go down

Newbe Empty Newbe

Post  Cheri17 4/9/2012, 12:49 pm

We have moved from Massachusetts to Palm Bay Florida,and very confused with what to plant and when..We have our SFG bed all ready to go.Any suggestions would be great! Very Happy
Thanks
Cheri
Cheri17
Cheri17

Back to top Go down

Newbe Empty Re: Newbe

Post  sfg4uKim 4/9/2012, 1:05 pm

Newbe 61949 Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure someone will be along who can answer you question. That certainly IS a big adjustment.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Newbe WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 1:22 pm

Newbe 396615 to the site and to Florida! You're fortunate to have moved here now, before the true heat and humidity start! I moved here during a heat wave in August, of all times. It was in the mid-90s with high humidity. Shocked

Have you read the All New Square Foot Gardening? Or have you done all this before?

The growing season here will be VERY different from what you're used to. In fact, you're late getting started...as am I, I found out to my sadness. But I'm trying anyway! The main thing you need to do is make sure you grow things that can handle the heat. It's definitely late for things like lettuce, so go straight to alternatives for your salad greens. I'm trying something called Red Malabar Spinach, which isn't a true spinach...rather, it's a leafy vine that has a spinach-like flavor but is apparently a better grower in hot climates. I've also planted some Swiss Chard.

You can probably get away with growing some carrots still, but not for much longer.

Best thing, if you can, is to get plants from a local source. The local sources will have varieties that will do better in our heat; question the employees wherever you go about what to plant.

Also, my husband's cousin, Tom MacCubbin wrote a book that might help called Month by Month Gardening in Florida: What to Do Each Month to Have a Beautiful Garden All Year. It has information on growing fruits, vegetables and decorative plants. That's a good starter book for anyone new to FL.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Newbe Empty Newbe

Post  Cheri17 4/9/2012, 2:06 pm

Im new to the SFG,its my first time but it makes sense.yes I read all about it and we just finished planting hubbard squash with the directions from the site, vertically,we did cukes the regular way a couple of weeks ago,but also vertically I just found out about SFG..Is it too late for peas?
Thx guys for any help...We just put carrots in too..good luck with the spinach Very Happy
Cheri
Cheri17
Cheri17

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 8:25 pm

I don't know about peas, I didn't plant them because I ran out of room. Hopefully someone else will chime in here; I'd like to know too!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  floridagardengirl 4/10/2012, 3:37 pm

From what I've read online, you can grow peas during the summer so long as you shade them.

Also, I was talking to a professor of mine earlier who grew up on a lettuce farm on Long Island. He said that there are certain varieties of lettuce that you can grow here as long as they are well shaded. He's actually growing some in a container on his back porch.

I am attempting to grow both peas and lettuce, so we shall see how they turn out. Right now my peas are doing really well, though they are still young. As far as the lettuce goes, I am still trying to find some seedlings.

I should note, however, that I am a total newbie too, so don't take my word for it when it comes to what to grow.
floridagardengirl
floridagardengirl

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  kbb964 4/10/2012, 4:18 pm

Well I am trying peas at the end of a box that has shade later in the day. Trial and error for my first SFG. Of course i am in Michigan but might still get too hot for them. I plan to grow them again late summer/fall
kbb964
kbb964

Female Posts : 317

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/10/2012, 9:58 pm

Newbe 654548 Cheri, we are glad you are here.

Do a search for your State University's Co-Operative Extension Service. They will usually have an online list of preferred veggie varieties for your state as well as monthly schedules for what to plant when. I have even heard of the Extension Service in some areas that had classes on everything from compost to harvesting.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Newbe Empty Newbe

Post  Cheri17 4/11/2012, 1:10 am

Thank you,glad to be here...Thats a good idea will do that.. Very Happy
Cheri17
Cheri17

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/11/2012, 3:37 am

Cheri, I just saw the post by furbalsmom about the Extension Service calendar and was so intrigued by the idea that I had to look it up right away. Lo and behold, UF does indeed have such a thing! Here's a link: University of Florida Gardening Calender What a wonderful resource! I'll be studying that myself!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/11/2012, 4:01 am

I'm so excited I had to come back and share again! On this page, if you scroll down a ways to Table 3, you will find a list of common veggies you can plant, what months to plant them, and some other information. It looks like we are fortunate enough to be able to grow some things during the winter months when other locations would have to use cold frames and greenhouses in order to get anything fresh out of their gardens! Not only that, but I found out I'm not nearly as late as I thought in planting some of the things I wanted to grow this summer.
smiles smiles smiles smiles smiles
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  karental 4/11/2012, 8:47 am

I was just going to post the link to that calendar. I've used it for a long time and there's a "shortcut" to it on my computer desktop because I use it so often. Welcome to Florida! Newbe 3170584802
karental
karental

Back to top Go down

Newbe Empty growing calender

Post  Cheri17 4/11/2012, 3:54 pm

Thanks so much for the link...Boy we are not that late.. hyper I have to find some southern peas...and sweet potato.Im in zone 9 and thought I could plant something...thanks guys will keep you posted,love that link!!
Cheri17
Cheri17

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/11/2012, 4:07 pm

It IS very nice to have that resource, isn't it! I'm supposed to be working on that right now...but of course I got side-tracked here... Embarassed
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Newbe Empty central Florida vegies

Post  jdepce 4/15/2012, 7:53 pm

Last summer I had my SFG going all summer long so from that little experience I can tell you that you can easily grow sweet potatoes. I started from 1 potato, put it in a bowl of water in a warm porch and 1 month later I had 6' of vine coming out of the bowl. From that I simply cut 12" lengths and put them back in the water and 3 weeks later I planted the potato and cuttings. We had our 1st freeze in December I think and we dug up about 75 lbs of potatoes and canned them for butter and pies. 2 of the potatoes were shaped like huge boots because they hit the bottom of the SFG and they each weighed 5.5 lbs.
We also grew something you probably have never heard of called Malibar spinach. It's a vine with no thorns that is extremely high in iron. It grew on verticle trellises and reseeded this year. I also cut it all down in December and canned about 14 pints for the winter. It tastes just like spinach, is extremely healthy and grows in the heat as long as it has water.
I tried to grow tomatoes and the small Gypsy tomatoes did very well but no other kind would set in the heat over 90 degrees until October when the nights cooled. Newbe 1280598131
I also grew peppers all summer but I covered them with regular window fiberglass screen to hide them from the sun. I planted bush beans around the peppers but it really wasn't worth all the trouble so this year I'm growing pole beans and using corn as the stakes in 1 SFG. It really pays to have something to cover the plants with. I guess the sun is so strong, that even with a screen, they still grow and I know that's the opposite of the conditions from where you're coming from. I also water all my plants through the screen so as not to blast the dirt off the roots and it seems to help. I only use rainwater barrels so the water is warmed.
I grew strawberries all summer and we ate about 2 quarts a week from about 30 plants also covered with screen high up as they live under the clothes line.
OH, and I almost forgot, we grew huge asparagus in between our shrubs to sort of hide them from the sun. We planted them 6" down and gave them a 2.5' spacing and followed the directions and we actually ate a little this year.
So that's the word of experience, I hope it helps. Be very careful of the beautiful butterflies and moths here, they deposit larva and demolish all your food. If you can't stand the thought of having the mindset of an exterminator, you may make yourself suffer. Maybe you'll be smarter than me and find ways to avoid the Catipillars and if you do, please email me how you did it.
Keep gardening, Kitty
jdepce
jdepce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down