Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. Toplef10 Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. I22gcj10 Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. Toplef10 Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. I22gcj10 Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden.

2 posters

Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. Empty Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden.

Post  RoOsTeR 4/7/2012, 9:58 am

I can't believe it's April 7th already! As usual, I'm behind the 8 ball it seems, or is it just our unusually warm weather that is making me feel behind? I was just out this morning walking the fence line after being gone all week and noticed the wild asparagus coming up already! It's typically May around here when I start seeing it come up, and last year it was into June.
I prepared a "covered wagon" a couple of weeks ago to take advantage of our nice temps we've been having, and so far I haven't needed it. I really wanted to get stuff planted last week, but didn't want to chance being on vacation and bad weather hitting while I wasn't here. Call me crazy, but I can't wait any longer! I want my cool weather crops in the ground!! Very Happy I have some seedlings ready to go into one box this morning with my garlic that I plated in October, and will be starting another box with seeds, and a few other seedlings. Also, time permitting I will be trying to get my trellis's up!

Seedlings going in today:
-Tyree and Bordeaux spinach
-Black Seeded Simpson, Red Sails, and Salad Bowl lettuces
-White and Purple kohlrabi
-Radishes

Seeds I will be planting today:
-Tyree and Bordeaux spinach
-Black Seeded Simpson, Red Sails, and Salad Bowl lettuces
-White and Purple kohlrabi
-Radishes
-Baby bok choy
-Purple Top turnips
-Little Finger and Scarlet Nantes carrots

Seedlings I have growing inside:
-Yellow Pear, Black Krim, and Green Zebra tomatoes
-Basil
-Thyme
-Oregano
-Parsley

I will still be planting some squash, several different varieties of peppers, and several different cucumbers, onion sets and some taters.

What do you have going?

Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden. Empty Re: Western Mountains and High Plains: April In The Garden.

Post  Turan 4/7/2012, 2:19 pm

We had unseasonable warm weather last week or so, now it is at freezing and there is a heap of new snow. Before it snowed I planted a mixture of 3 peas, a tall sugar snap and the shorter sugar snap sprint and Oregon Giant snow pea. Then I sprinkled part of the garlic area with a mixed salad greens and a border of radishes. Most of the rest of the bed went to onions that I interplanted with beets.
In the house I have started: Asian eggplants, poblano peppers, chives, 3 kinds of broccoli and 2 kinds of brussel sprouts and a bunch of marigolds.

I had decided there was no room in the garden this year for potatoes. SO a pound of seed potato (Yukon Gold and Deep Red) followed me home from the grocery store. O what can I do Shocked I wonder if they could live with the winter squash in the composting new bed or if that would be too hot for them.

I am almost done making a cold frame/mini green house to fit over sections of beds. The plan is to grow the eggplant and peppers under that and leave the green house for tomatoes, basil, yard long beans and okra. I convinced my local nursery that they needed to grow the varities of tomatoes I want to grow this year Cool

I will be curious to hear about how you grow rutabagas. Mine got anxious and bolted before making fat roots.
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down