Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG Toplef10unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG I22gcj10unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG Toplef10unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG I22gcj10unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG

+13
Kelejan
sanderson
boffer
Marc Iverson
plantoid
mschaef
mkashuba
BrotherNorm
GWN
FamilyGardening
snibb
camprn
tiffanybrenner
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG Empty unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG

Post  tiffanybrenner 4/3/2012, 7:27 pm

If unwanted mushrooms are sprouting in some of the boxes, does this mean that the soil is too moist? The plants seem happy and the soil doesn't appear to be overwatered. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tiffany in San Diego
tiffanybrenner
tiffanybrenner

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG Empty Re: unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG

Post  camprn 4/3/2012, 7:39 pm

tiffanybrenner wrote:If unwanted mushrooms are sprouting in some of the boxes, does this mean that the soil is too moist? The plants seem happy and the soil doesn't appear to be overwatered. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tiffany in San Diego
No, not necessarily, because your vegetable plants may be getting just the right amount of water. Mushrooms are just a part of the natural world and the world is full of fungi. Can you imagine, without fungi there would be no mushrooms, no French bread, no beer, no wine, no bleu cheese, no penicillin and a bazillion other pleasant (and some not so pleasant) things in life. What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG Empty Re: unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG

Post  snibb 4/4/2012, 12:58 am

I think you're right-I had the same thing happen to me one year, talked to Mel and he told me my garden was too moist. I was watering a lot that year. I cut down on the water and had no more mushrooms....it was a pretty simple fix for me
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/4/2012, 1:11 am

it happend to us last year too....just a few mushrooms.....after i plucked them out...we didnt have anymore....this was in early spring when our sugar snap peas were growing.....we live in the PNW so we are use to things being wet....and mushrooms grow in the grass around here....LOL

i thought they were in my MM because i had used mushroom compost....Shocked

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  tiffanybrenner 4/4/2012, 10:27 am

Ok All, thanks for giving the answers I was hoping for! Very Happy That makes it easy. I do think I need to adjust my watering a bit. Yesterday I sent to a local garden & learning center for educating the community and I saw how they used those hose drip systems around every plant. My wonder boyfriend is always asking how he can help in the garden. ;-)

Thank you!
-Tiffany
tiffanybrenner
tiffanybrenner

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/4/2012, 10:47 am

I got mushrooms last year in a dry area, but it was from manure that I had had brought in
IN fact they were Boletes
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  BrotherNorm 4/4/2012, 1:05 pm

I noticed one or two this week in one of my boxes and chalked it up to the mushroom compost I used.
BrotherNorm
BrotherNorm

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG Empty unwanted fungi

Post  mkashuba 2/8/2014, 2:59 pm

I noticed this was an old post, but I got some unwanted fungi in several squares -- as with others, probably came in my manure.  My concern was in them touching my plants, me not rinsing the herbs well enough, ingesting some spores and dying on the spot!
I heard some horror stories about folks collecting mushrooms...and making some errors. Is this an overrated concern of mine?
mkashuba
mkashuba

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/8/2014, 3:05 pm

mkashuba wrote:I noticed this was an old post, but I got some unwanted fungi in several squares -- as with others, probably came in my manure.  My concern was in them touching my plants, me not rinsing the herbs well enough, ingesting some spores and dying on the spot!
I heard some horror stories about folks collecting mushrooms...and making some errors. Is this an overrated concern of mine?
Yes, in my opinion, don't worry about it. Just don't eat the mushrooms. The part we see above ground is like the flower part of the organism. It will bloom and fade away. Fungi is EVERYWHERE.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 2/8/2014, 3:11 pm

mkashuba wrote:I noticed this was an old post, but I got some unwanted fungi in several squares -- as with others, probably came in my manure.  My concern was in them touching my plants, me not rinsing the herbs well enough, ingesting some spores and dying on the spot!

Here is my thoughts...if you are conern, which sounds like you are, that the mushroom that are growing in your SFG are safe why not pick some and take them to your local extension office. They should be able to tell you what type of mushrooms they are and if they are safe or not. Another option is take pictures and Google search the picture and see what you find out.  study With a little bit more knowledge about them you will know for the future what to do. Hope this helps.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/8/2014, 3:27 pm

perhaps there is a mycological club in your area with people you can ask about the mushrooms in your garden. http://namyco.org/clubs/

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/8/2014, 3:52 pm

Mkashuba ,
 Why not bung some pictures of the fungi  on the thread , they speak a thousand words .
Many folk may know what you've got growing and tell you all about them .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/8/2014, 4:28 pm

Gee, I never even considered that spores might be dangerous. I grew a mushroom kit indoors once and came home to find the spores just exploded, way across two rooms. All over the walls. If spores are dangerous, uh-oh. We get all kinds of mushrooms around here. They're everywhere.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  mkashuba 2/8/2014, 5:08 pm

Thank you all. I no longer feel endangered.  I'll just be careful.
mkashuba
mkashuba

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/8/2014, 8:36 pm

plantoid wrote:

Mkashuba ,
 Why not bung some pictures of the fungi  on the thread , they speak a thousand words .
Many folk may know what you've got growing and tell you all about them .
lol, just an FYI, in the US a bung is a stopper, like a cork, a noun not a verb. I had to look up the British definition to figure out what you meant. study 

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/8/2014, 8:49 pm

LOL I had to double check my own understanding of the word:

unwanted mushrooms sprouting in my SFG 4-bung-hole-stopper-001
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/9/2014, 12:10 am

I was only aware of Beavis's definition.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/9/2014, 1:12 am

I think Plantoid likes to throw in an English (British) term now and then, that has different meanings in GB and US.  Just to keep us excited and scrambling for our Webster's.  My Webster's has all 3 definitions: keg stopper, Beavis and throw/toss.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/9/2014, 2:20 am

I knew the first and third definations. Now I know the second.  Very Happy 
Learn something every day.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/9/2014, 7:49 am

Yes
 Bung up a picture ..     Put a picture in place on the thread

a modern varied meaning word originating from the old wooden bung put in a barrel to seal it off after filling

Other colloquial   meanings from around the UK

put a bung in it !  .. shut up big mouth !  

To bung someone a bribe  ..... to offer a bribe

To take a bung  ..... to accept the bribe
I'm all bunged up ...constipated or full of congestion in the lungs  . full of a cold

Finally the piece de resistance :-

" You're all bunged up mate , full of it  , sort yourself out before someone else does ....
 A warning that you're full of  *hit and are offending people who may not be so nice and unphysical as I am .    ( Laughing Wow this last one took a bit of careful thought )
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 2/9/2014, 12:01 pm

For the most part, mushroom spoors won't injure you, it's eating the wrong fruit from a mushroom plant (the majority of which grows underground).  Sometimes the 'shrooms that grow in your SFG bed are very edible.  We had some lovely morels volunteer on one side of the garden, but the aptly nicknamed "dog vomit" mushrooms that sprouted in hay bales left us less than excited.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/9/2014, 12:10 pm

We got morels in our garden the year after putting down a lot of straw. I think that the area we get straw is also a great morel picking area.    BONUS.
Just one more thought on the word BUNG....
In medical terms...(Laymans medical terms).... to get bunged up is to get constipated   Rolling Eyes
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 2/9/2014, 12:18 pm

This word 'bung' appears to be a very versatile 4 letter word!  Shocked 
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/9/2014, 1:13 pm

boffer wrote:This word 'bung' appears to be a very versatile 4 letter word!  Shocked 
so, would saying,' Bung the mushrooms' be appropriate? And would it mean to toss or plug... Ah, the sumptuous subtleties of language.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/9/2014, 9:16 pm

" Bung the mushrooms " = throw them away , as in " bung it in the bin " .... put it in the bin .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next