Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover Toplef10Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover I22gcj10Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover Toplef10Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover I22gcj10Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover

+2
floyd1440
llama momma
6 posters

Go down

Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover Empty Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover

Post  llama momma 3/24/2012, 6:42 am

This article out of N. Carolina addresses the issue of herbicide carryover, an important topic for all home composters in my humble opinion. For most of us I think this article will expand our knowledge of herbicide carryover. Hope you learn something I sure did...
Also see page 3 - How to Test for the Presence of Herbicides.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/programs/ncorganic/special-pubs/herbicide_carryover.pdf
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover Empty Re: Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover

Post  floyd1440 3/24/2012, 7:13 am

Thanks for the link. A few decades ago I make a huge mistake buy dumping my grass clipping on my garden in the late fall. Seemed like a good idea but the grass was chemically treated and the following years I found my plants suffered.

Learn the hard way sometimes.

Mad
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover Empty Re: Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover

Post  llama momma 3/24/2012, 7:26 am

Yeah that stinks. I have three pallet bins cooking and wish I knew more about some of the contents..... well at least we keep learning and going in the right direction.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 3/24/2012, 8:32 am

llama momma wrote:Yeah that stinks. I have three pallet bins cooking and wish I knew more about some of the contents..... well at least we keep learning and going in the right direction.

Since you compost my question is, as I will build mine next weekend, will a 3x3x3 bin produce enough compost for two 4x8 gardens?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/24/2012, 8:58 am

I'm no expert, but your contents generally break down to about 1/2 of the original pile. I would be more comfortable with a second bin or more if I were you. You are going to become the expert on your own compost pile because the differences of the contents. In addition, if you are a one season or 3 or 4 season gardener, replenishing all the squares after each harvest will make a difference in how much compost will be used up. I'm curious to what others have to say about this too.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 3/24/2012, 10:04 am

That is a very good bit of info. I have just purchased a load of compost, think I'll plant some bean seeds in it, before I use in the garden. Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/24/2012, 10:40 am

There were issues a few years ago with people buying "killer mulch" that had these same issues. They would spread it around their ornamental shrubs and trees (think rhododendrons, azaleas, Japanese maples) and within a couple of months, the plants would be dead or dying.

The main thing that goes into our compost heap here are what comes from our land, since that is really the only place I have control over. The manure we've used in that pile is from people that also do not use pesticides or herbicides on their pastures or feed their animals as organically as possible. I know there is always a bit of risk involved, but hopefully this minimizes it. What we DON'T do is get compost from the county facility, as we have NO idea just what is in it.

I have found at least two composts made by the same company here that are labeled as organic (one vegetarian/vegan and the other with animal manure in it), but again... there is always a level of risk.

I like the idea of doing the field assay test, and might include that in our preparations when buying bagged compost.

Thank you for the link... lots of interesting (and disturbing) information there.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/24/2012, 12:29 pm

curio wrote:I like the idea of doing the field assay test, and might include that in our preparations when buying bagged compost.

Thank you for the link... lots of interesting (and disturbing) information there.

I know and I'm sorry about it too. It seemed too important to keep the information to myself. We grow hay and we buy some hay and straw, now I'll be asking the farmers some questions...
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Home Composters and Herbicide Carryover Empty It gets worse

Post  B maier 3/24/2012, 3:20 pm

Gotta love the chemical companies. Evil or Very Mad

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/killer-compost-zmgz11zrog.aspx
B maier
B maier

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/24/2012, 3:37 pm

Seems like the problem of diminishing bees and frogs is finally being figgered out. We are slowing poisoning ourselves. And even when you try to avoid the chemicals yourself, they show up further down the food chain.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down