Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from DFW! Toplef10Hi from DFW! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from DFW! I22gcj10Hi from DFW! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from DFW! Toplef10Hi from DFW! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from DFW! I22gcj10Hi from DFW! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by ladyDenna Today at 4:21 am

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from DFW!

+3
kjdkek
westx
TexasTracy
7 posters

Go down

Hi from DFW! Empty Hi from DFW!

Post  TexasTracy 3/14/2012, 9:39 pm

Hello again! Last year was my first attempt at gardening. In the Spring, regular old soil in raised beds...did not work. Found this site so in the Fall I tried SFG and I actually grew VEGGIES! Beds are all ready, went ahead and planted my tomato starters today. Will sow the seeds over the weekend hopefully! Looking forward to another season with y'all flower

Tracy in Grand Prairie

TexasTracy
TexasTracy

Female Posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Hi from DFW! Empty Re: Hi from DFW!

Post  westx 3/14/2012, 10:57 pm

Hi Tracy

Just down the road from in Midlothian. Worked for the City of GP for 6 years. Lets hope we don't have a summer like we did last year. I have lettuce, spinach, onions, peas, carrots, broccolli and cauliflower in the ground now. Will be planting the rest of the garden over next couple weeks.
westx

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Hi from DFW! Empty hello

Post  kjdkek 3/15/2012, 12:00 am

I'm not too far from yall. Here in Red Oak ( just south of Lancaster or DeSoto). I too am new to this. I have many things out in the garden as well. Today I got some tomatoes in the ground. Hopefully its not too early. Welcome to the forum! Erin
kjdkek
kjdkek

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Hi from DFW! Empty I'm in GP too!

Post  morganfam7 3/15/2012, 4:09 pm

Hello neighbor! I live in GP, too. Very Happy

I played around with the old SFG in the early 90's and loved it. Now, in a different house, we are just getting things going again. One of the beds is 4x4 and made of cinder blocks. The kids planted lettuce in the cinder block holes. We have snap peas, picklebush cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots going in that bed. If it gets cold again, I'll just cover it for protection.

My husband just made the other bed out of...don't laugh...old closet bifold doors that I dug out of my neighbor's remodeling trash! Yes, my grandpa would be proud! Cool

I need to fill the bed fast, but I've decided not to use peat moss in Mel's Mix after reading this sfg post from a local gardener
( https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8719-sfg-in-100-degree-plus-temperatures )

North Haven Gardens in Dallas says this (linked in the above post):

http://growlively.typepad.com/growlively/2010/04/square-foot-gardening-soil-mixdo-i-think-it-works-for-texas.html

http://growlively.typepad.com/growlively/2009/12/question-2-what-is-the-best-raised-bed-soil-mix.html

I think I'm going to put some green sand in the new bed, too. No Shale, though, because dd loves growing carrots.

We are going today to get free mulch at the GP land fill to put in the compost pile. You may already know this, but just in case...Did you know that you can go to the landfill as often as you want and get the free mulch (made by shredding the tree limbs brought to the dump)? You just pull up to the window, tell them what you want /show your license or a water bill to prove you're a GP resident, then then pull over to the pile and load. The pile is to the left right before the office.

GP used to offer Master Composter classes (I took the first one in 95) and they gave you Red Wigglers, a small worm home, and a long compost thermometer. In order to speed things along in my compost pile and fill that new bed with better soil in the fall, we're building a Rolling Composter: http://www.instructables.com/id/Rolling-Compost-Drum/ and building a worm hotel. Very Happy It's a lot to do right now, but hopefully by winter we won't have to buy all our lettuce and spinach from Sam's anymore! Yay for organic!

Well, I look forward to gardening with y'all! Smile See y'all here and specifically in the Middle South forum (Staf's videos are great!)here at SFG! Middle South Forum
morganfam7
morganfam7

Female Posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Hi from DFW! Empty PS

Post  morganfam7 3/15/2012, 4:12 pm

PS I sent y'all friend requests. I wanted to keep a list of local gardeners for networking purposes (ie I know of a Carrollton produce place that gives their clippings away free...maybe we could split a trailer load - my small trailer - or something.).
morganfam7
morganfam7

Female Posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  kb5won 8/24/2012, 2:56 pm

morganfam7 wrote:PS I sent y'all friend requests. I wanted to keep a list of local gardeners for networking purposes (ie I know of a Carrollton produce place that gives their clippings away free...maybe we could split a trailer load - my small trailer - or something.).

that is a good idea! I'm in Allen BTW
kb5won
kb5won

Male Posts : 8

http://briangallimore.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 8/24/2012, 3:55 pm

kb5won Look at the date stamp on the last post: by morganfam7 on 3/15/2012, 4:12 pm. It was back in March of this year (3/15/2012).
I won't say you will not get a responce but it could get "iffey" with this old a post. Below the Icon where my(and all of our) names are there is a box labled "PM" for private messages. The pm will probally get you better results on this old a post. This forum is full of helpful members. I hope this does not condesending, I surely do NOT mean it that way.
Those of us that have been on here a while do not get an e-mail about every thing we post, but most get one for "PM's".
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/24/2012, 10:18 pm

Welcome KB5won. It is always good to get new people on the forum. Have you read the ALL NEW SQUAREFOOT GARDENING book? It is the how to manual most members of this forum use and the reference we refer to for building beds, making the soilless grow mix we use and lot s of other things. It makes gardening so much easier.
Please post what you are doing and how well it it going. We love pictures as well.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  kb5won 8/24/2012, 10:38 pm

walshevak wrote: Have you read the ALL NEW SQUAREFOOT GARDENING book? Kay

Hi Kay, I have read both the ALL NEW edition and the old edition. (I actually prefer the old edition!)

I do have lots of pictures.... This forum doesn't let me post links because I'm new. I'll get a list ready though.
kb5won
kb5won

Male Posts : 8

http://briangallimore.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum