Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  Toplef10are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  I22gcj10are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  Toplef10are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  I22gcj10are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

are the seeds safe?...its snowing!

5 posters

Go down

are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  Empty are the seeds safe?...its snowing!

Post  FamilyGardening 3/13/2012, 11:45 am

we woke up to snow this fine middle of march Shocked here in the PNW

awwwwwk affraid .....we planted sugar snap peas, fava beans, lettuce, spinach, carrots, elephant garlic, green onions (from the frig) and kale.....

we have the supplies for the hoops but havent put them up yet Embarassed because of all the heavy rain we been getting the last few days Sad .....here i was worried the new seeds were going to get washed away No .....now...its snowing What a Face

will our seeds be ok?.....or should we plan on replanting?

hugs

rose.....who loves the look of a white wonder land.....but not when its messing with her veggies cyclops
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  Empty Re: are the seeds safe?...its snowing!

Post  curio 3/13/2012, 11:54 am

I would think that as long as the seeds haven't sprouted above ground, they'll all be safe. The onions, garlic and carrots should be fine, as they are all underground, and if the tops of the onions or garlic freeze, they'll produce more.

I don't expect this snow to last too long... it's already turning to (you guessed it) more rain here.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

are the seeds safe?...its snowing!  Empty Re: are the seeds safe?...its snowing!

Post  Lavender Debs 3/13/2012, 1:33 pm

Watch out for sno-snakes! They prefer skiers but they probably like unprotected gardens too.

OK, I'm kidding, they only bite skiers (at least that is what my husband would blame his dramatic falls on)

I've had peas and their late winter friends survive 6 inches of snow. Stellar Jays scare me. Snow, not so much.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/13/2012, 6:39 pm

lol! Debs!

happy to report snow has gone to rain bounce .....went out to peak on the garden while there was a break in rain showers and the sun was peaking out sunny the garden looks to have stood its own from monday's wind storm and todays surprise of snow fall cheers the only problem i found besides a few small tree limbs tossed here and there....i found what looked to be two pea pods that had come to the surface....they were pale with what looked like a little tail What a Face .....i just pushed them back into the ground tongue ....not sure what spot they came from :scratch: ....but nice to see they were starting to sprout albino

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/15/2012, 3:07 pm

We also had that unexpected snow here on the Coast, about 4 inches Shocked

I have a 2 ft long deck railing planter with Parris Island Cos Romaine and all seven plants survived the wieght of this heavy heavy snow and now soaking rain, rain, rain. They are less than 2 inches tall.

I also have some of the same batch of Romaine growing in a seedling flat on my enclosed but unheated porch that has not gone below 40 degrees this winter. They are over 3 inches tall.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/15/2012, 10:12 pm

furb great to hear that your little seedlings are all doing fine even though they had a bit of snow come down on them! Shocked

i have a few lettuce seedlings inside moved to the kitchen window because they are so late going out to the garden.....had to up pot our brocs, cauli's, cabbages, artichokes, tomato plants and a few herbs......so we our out of room under the lights Shocked

hubby really needs to get the hoops on the box's.......but for some reason he keeps telling me he can only do one thing at a time....really....come on....we have grape vines that need to go out too....they have buds on them What a Face

hugs

rose .....who is wondering if she should still plant her taters this weekend????
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/15/2012, 10:48 pm

The books that Eliot Coleman wrote gave me great comfort in colder weather, with hardy plants.
He describes growing spinach all winter long in zone 5a, under plastic.
On very cold mornings when the temp has dropped down into the teens (farenheit) he goes in and all the spinach, etc looks dead.
However these plants have the ability to send all of the moisture down into the roots, and so when you go back a few hours later after the sun has heated the area, they all look normal.
It really is quite a wonder.

We have had temps here that dropped down to -20 degrees celcius (-4 farenheit) and the spinach I left in my garden last year (accidentally ) under plastic, is still alive and well, and I was even more surprised to find the spinach that was out in the garden without anything over it, was still alive.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/16/2012, 8:23 am

GWN wrote:The books that Eliot Coleman wrote gave me great comfort in colder weather, with hardy plants....snip....

I am just getting into his books this late winter. Since the 70's I have depended on Steve Solomon's maritime gardening book, for West of the Cascades. He is the reason that I do not keep many of my babies inside. The green closet is not as safe as the cold frame I kept in the mountains (where the blanket was put over the cold frame instead of over the plants themselves, that is a huge improvement from Coleman) Solomon got into the science of why and how plants can survive freezing temps and why a sudden freeze is so much worse than regular exposure.

Debs ....wishing I had more time to read so that I can be ready to start "Winter Gardening" before June.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/16/2012, 11:38 am

Its the kind of thing you can use certain aspects/principals to and not all.
Last summer I tried to do my tomatoes the way he describes, where you grow one vine up to 8 feet on strings and then cut back the branches at the bottom and essentially lay the plant down, loosen the string to allow it to keep going. Of course this would be indeterminates.
I did not quite have things set up well enough to carry this on into the fall. But I hope to this fall.
Which one are you reading? THe real details about tomatoes etc comes from the winter harvest handbook,
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/16/2012, 11:59 am

Right now I am working my way though the orginal (updated) Organc Garden but Winter G is sitting on the shelf waiting.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down