Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries SFG Toplef10strawberries SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries SFG I22gcj10strawberries SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries SFG Toplef10strawberries SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries SFG I22gcj10strawberries SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

strawberries SFG

+8
walshevak
NightMist
H_TX_2
HillbillyBob
Icemaiden
quiltbea
lisaphoto
GWN
12 posters

Go down

strawberries SFG Empty strawberries SFG

Post  GWN 3/5/2012, 3:58 pm

I would like to grow strawberries in my SFG this year, I have many many plants from last year.
I see that you can grow 4 per square foot.
Any tips of growing them? Would you suggest straw between plants. I have just never done them very well.

thanx
janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

strawberries SFG Empty Re: strawberries SFG

Post  lisaphoto 3/5/2012, 4:32 pm

Have you seen the strawberry pyramids that some of the people on here have built. You can get a lot more in there than just a flat bed. I really want to build one.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/5/2012, 4:55 pm

I've never tried the pyramid because strawberries don't produce many fruits until their second year and those small holes don't look big enough to hold a full-grown strawberry plant (2nd year). In fact, the 1st year you should pull off any new blossoms so the energy can go into building its root system.

I do mine in a berm (long raised bed without lumber) but a few tips would be, tuck straw around them for a mulch which keeps the berries off the soil which can cause them to rot. Also, in the winter, you want to cover the bed with straw about 6" deep. They'll sleep under that straw and any snow covering and do just fine by spring. Every 3rd year you need to dig out the old 'mother' plant and allow her 'daughters' to take over production in her place. The 'daughters' are runners that have grown out from their 'mother' plant. You never have to buy new plants again. That bed will give you plenty of 'daughters'. In fact, this year when I thin out my bed, my extra runners are going around the dwarf fruit trees.

strawberries SFG 06-07-12

Above: On 6/7/11 when blossoms were just starting. When the little fruits begin growing, you need to cover them with netting or light row cover against the grasshoppers and the birds. In one morning the birds practically cleaned out my whole 16' long bed in 2010, the same day I bought the row cover, but too late.

I know its been done successfully in a SFG but I want lots more than a 4 x 4 will provide, hence my berm. I'm sure fellow growers will chime in with more info for you.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/5/2012, 5:11 pm

thanks so much quiltbea
Your strawberry "berm" appears to be the one I have been trying for for years. (I have always moved too soon)
It seems as though I might have done the best thing last year.
I had an 11x3 foot raised bed that I filled with strawberries and I got SOOOO many runners, PLUS I did not keep up on the weeding.
SO I dug up the whole thing last fall and saved all the runners in a compost pile (overwinter)
I am trying to remember whether I actually dug up the mother plants and replanted them, OR whether I left the mother plants.
I can see that leaving the main plants to establish roots is what it takes to really get them producing.
I did cover them all up with straw in the fall though.
I am just hoping for tons of strawberries this year.

Your picture is great, thanks
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 7/23/2012, 8:06 am

My strawberries are four to a square - in theory at least. I have about 12 sq feet of them, some are established and some are plants from last year's runners. We have had about 200g/day for the last month. I don't bother with straw as the plants are so close together. Any berries which are hitting the ground I just try and hook the branch over a leaf to give it some support.
We have cold winters here and I think it works best to leave the plants uncovered until the new year (kills off the bugs I think) then cover them with a sort of coldframe top with wooden sides and plastic top. That seems to bring the crop forward about two weeks. Though the plants will survive without it they don't crop so well. It means watering a few times in very early summer, then when there is no risk of frost you can take it away.

(I hope that by now you have had a brilliant strawberry crop!)
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 3/15/2013, 11:50 am

check out this strawberry pyramid
http://bonnieplants.com/library/how-to-build-a-strawberry-pyramid/?utm_source=Bonnie+Newsletter&utm_campaign=836cee44fb-Its_Strawberry_Time_3_8_2013&utm_medium=email
great weekend project,just use mm if you can Laughing strawberries SFG 3170584802
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 3/15/2013, 12:15 pm

I like that pyramid. You could build that to fit right over the top of an existing SFG box.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 3/15/2013, 12:51 pm

yep I built one a couple of days ago,if you add 16" to the base & each end rail you'll have a SF Strawberry garden,them add a few small rails for your grid Shocked strawberries SFG 3170584802 I'm working up another just a little bigger cheers sunny

Last edited by HillbillyBob on 3/15/2013, 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingers)
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  NightMist 3/15/2013, 1:47 pm

When we built our pyramid we devoted 6 square feet to it. We built the 6 foot base, set a four foot tier inside it, and a 2 foot tier inside that. We didn't do anything fancy with it, just built a ziggurat framed in wood and built up the center with sand and dirt as we placed the tiers, and filled the growing areas with compost. I based the thing on those ones you see in the nursery catalogs. Then we threw 50 Ozark Beauties into it and we have had strawberries ever since.
The only problems I have ever had with it are theft, and an errant grapevine that keeps trying to grow in there.
Last spring somebody came into my yard and stole about two feet of plants, dirt and all.
I am to the point with the grape where I am tempted to guy a line from the pyramid to the house and train the stupid thing since it just keeps coming back!
NightMist
NightMist

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/15/2013, 3:21 pm

I am to the point with the grape where I am tempted to guy a line from the pyramid to the house and train the stupid thing since it just keeps coming back!

I love that idea. Even if it is a wild grape and a bit tart for just eating, you can have some awesome jam/jelly.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/15/2013, 3:35 pm

Point of interest: Its the 3rd year when the Mother gives her best and most berries. Its downhill after that so its best to remove the Mother after that harvest and allow a 2-yr old runner to be Mother next year.
Its a matter of cutting out the old plants and letting the new ones take their place for continuous year after year berries.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/29/2017, 8:16 pm

I am getting ready to build my 3x7 SFG for strawberries:  Here is a State specific guide for folks if you are thinking about putting in some berries!

http://strawberryplants.org/2010/10/strawberry-varieties-by-state/

Also check your local extension agency, they have tons of info.  I want a variety, day neutral, June bearing and early!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/18/2019, 10:36 pm

Hello all. It's been a while since I posted. I did not do much with my SFG last year and probably won't do much this year either. With that said, I have a 4x4 full of strawberry plants. They started out as 1 half-dead plant and ended up taking over the bed. I have thinned them out slightly, but not much. 

So, what IS the proper spacing. I keep reading 1 or 4 per sq ft. 

Also, I am considering making a berm so I'd appreciate any insight on that as well.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/19/2019, 8:37 am

Hi, Jim! I don't grow Strawberries any more - got tired of fighting the deer for them, and just gave up - but, when I was growing them I grew them in a pyramid-type raised bed similar to this picture. They did great in there, and the runners from the plants went over the edge into the soil below. I had the raised be sitting on a heavy base of wood chips, and the strawberries even grew in the chips after they went over the edge of the bed.  I originally spaced the plants 12" apart, and each year I removed the old plants and kept the new ones that started from the runners. Every year the berries were better than the year before.

strawberries SFG Pyrami10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 3/21/2019, 10:03 am

OhioGardener - Do you remember the size of the boards that you used to build this pyramid?
I have a bunch of 4"x 48" cedar boards that I could use but am wondering if they are too small to be effective.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/21/2019, 5:31 pm

I have a 3x7 devoted to strawberries, and I use 1/SF as a rule.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/21/2019, 6:54 pm

Judy McConnell wrote:OhioGardener - Do you remember the size of the boards that you used to build this pyramid?
I have a bunch of 4"x 48" cedar boards that I could use but am wondering if they are too small to be effective.

I used 2"x6" boards, which worked well because the strawberry plants are fairly shallow-rooted and don't need much more than that.  4" would probably be too shallow, though, unless two ware stacked to provide an 8" height on each level.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 3/21/2019, 7:02 pm

OhioGardener - Thanks for the info!
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/21/2019, 8:49 pm

The 3x7 is 6” deep...plenty deep for the berries.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/21/2019, 9:29 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
I used 2"x6" boards, which worked well because the strawberry plants are fairly shallow-rooted and don't need much more than that.  4" would probably be too shallow, though, unless two ware stacked to provide an 8" height on each level.

Just my 2 cents: If you build that pyramid, wouldn't you only have to make the bottom level 6" or deeper. The upper levels could use one 2x4 since they will have the MM in the levels below for their roots.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/21/2019, 9:49 pm

ralitaco wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:

Just my 2 cents: If you build that pyramid, wouldn't you only have to make the bottom level 6" or deeper. The upper levels could use one 2x4 since they will have the MM in the levels below for their roots.

Yes, that is true. 

FWIW, the first pyramid I built I used 6" high rolled aluminum that was designed for kids pools, and I made the bottom 6' diameter and each tier up about a foot smaller until the top one was down to 2' diameter. That was when we lived in town with a small lot, and I built the pyramid as a "flower bed" on the front lawn. When we sold the house a couple years later, the new buyer loved that "feature" of the property.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 3/22/2019, 9:36 am

Good thoughts, Guys! Thanks!

I have 2 -4'x 8' beds, currently in strawberries along with 4- tts with young runners.
The 4'x8' need renovating and I want to get the table tops free of strawberries, in order to use them for other plants. 

So, what I am going to do is remove all the berry plants from one of the 4'x8' and build a pyramid in each half of the bed. This will allow younger plants to grow there, each with enough root space.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down