Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 Toplef10March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 I22gcj10March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 Toplef10March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 I22gcj10March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest

+3
curio
Lavender Debs
Furbalsmom
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest

Post  Daniel9999 3/11/2012, 1:03 am

Furbalsmom wrote:Nice compliment Lavender Debs, but totally undeserved. That is not a list of what I am growing at this time, just recommendations for this month's plantings in the PNW.

I have germinated two types of broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, onions and two types of lettuce, some is now on my enclosed porch getting acclimated to the cooler temperatures so they can be transplanted into the Table Tops soon. Of course I started many, many too many and will donate some seedlings to the Master Gardener in charge of our community garden. Does anyone else think they could use 32 Calabrese broccoli and 12 Veronica broccoli for a family of two or even 18 Parris Island Coos Romaine and 18 Frizzy Headed Drunken Woman butterhead lettuces? There are 24 bunching onion seedlings, basil, parsley and stevia started. The Mammoth Melting and Super Sugar Snap peas were planted outside a few days ago before the horrendous rains but the seeds swelled up and rose to the surface of the cold soil. I have pushed them back in and recovered them with MM. Hopefully they will stay where they were planted this time.

It is hard to stop isn't it?

The other day I was browsing the seed aisle looking at heirloom tomato seeds.

Black Krim, Amish Paste, Brandywine, ect.....so many varieties so little garden space!

Its agony to have to choose between them all!

I think I have might have ended up with more seed packets than I can use. No
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest

Post  Lavender Debs 3/11/2012, 11:04 am

Welcome Daniel!

Yes it is difficult to stop. I have an entire crisper drawer chock full of seed. There are 5 flats of starts going including one that is just Tomatoes and I am going to take my new truck (some of you might remember that two July's ago my honda was stolen ..... yesterday Ray went south to buy a gun safe with my son and came home with a pretty little blue 2002 Ranger for me. Why a truck? Because I need someplace to haul the fixens for MM. Sweet!) Anyway we are going north to Mt Vernon to check the Uprising seed rack for two different dry beans. My Rockwell bean trial went so well last year that I want more beans to add to my winter menu. I've also been seduced by a radish, I'm rolling my eyes too, called watermelon. AND I have been so encouraged by the posts I have been reading about SFG corn that I want to check the TSC rack for a hybrid I grew in Robe Valley called Sugar Dots. Maybe I'll be able to resist buying a pole bean called "Marvel of Venice", a cucumber that is known as "Sweet Marketmore" and (gasp) a tomato (STOP) called "Super Lakota"

On the way home we plan to swing into Sunnyside Nursery in Marysville for seed potatoes. Ray has the barrels I wanted, cut in half the long way, for my potatoes.

OH, one more thing, He found a greenhouse at harbor freight he wants to take a look at and bring home if we both like it (him for aquaponics, me for this crazy obsession of mine)

Debs....doing the dance of joy, new PNW guy, new truck, new garden season WooT wOOt.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 3/11/2012, 12:16 pm

FamilyGardening, I've seen several people on the forum post here about Yukon Golds specifically, only getting potatoes at the bottom and so no need to go extra deep with those. You still need to hill up enough to cover them as the potatoes on that first layer develop of course. But I think it was boffer who grew them in just 6" of Mel's Mix one year?

LavenderDebs, congrats on the truck! I didn't know about your Honda (before my time here). Have you been without your own vehicle all this time? What a sweet husband to surprise you like that. Having a truck is so nice when you own a home; you'll love it. And I actually heard a good review about that greenhouse that Harbor Freight has, on an Amazon forum of all places. So I hope it works out for you! Plus I got seed potatoes at my local nursery yesterday. Only 99 cents a pound, I couldn't believe it. Shocked I'm so used to everything at the nursery costing more, and these were considerably less than anywhere I could have ordered from, even less than buying at WalMart. It was help yourself too - so I could have bought just one little potato if I wanted to, and paid just a few cents. *lol* I got German Butterballs, which was on my wishlist. Yay!

Daniel9999, Hi and welcome! Yay a new PNW'er! I'm not a tomato fan, which hardly makes me welcome on any gardening forum, but I'm trying Brandywine this year since everyone raves about them. We'll see how it goes!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 3/11/2012, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

LavenderDebs

Ohhhh Watermelon Radishes! I plan on growing those myself.... I hear they a have a nice mild sweet flavor for a radish and they look quite stunning.

I have also found myself seduced by a few other plants this year.....a pair of carrots, one a purple variety known as the Dragon Carrot and the other a white carrot variety known as White Satin, a beet called Chioggia, a funky little garlic variety known as Black Garlic (the cloves really are black in color!),a pumpkin known as Rouge vif D'Etampes aka Cinderella, and a hard to find Mexican culinary herb Epazote.

I really enjoy being the local gardener that grows the "strange" plants.

In addition I am looking to expand the small container garden I have next to my apartment this year. It is a small collection of scented culinary herbs, Cinnamon Basil, Orange Mint, Pineapple Mint, Chocolate Mint, Lemon Thyme and Orange Thyme. I am looking to add to that this year with an Apple Mint and Lime Basil and possibly some other varieties if I come across them.
I must say that the plant that I have most love out there in the container garden is not is not growing in one of the pots but grows on the dirt underneath and around the pots....Corsican Mint.

Its a attractive bright green, tiny little mint that occasionally produces itty bitty purple flowers....but the most amazing thing about it is the smell. It smells very strongly of mint..... much, much stronger than any other mint variety I have come across before..... it truly is fantastic. I found it at the local Wilco retail store being sold under the Stepables brand last year.. Its doing very well and is spreading very nicely....I will have to help it along a bit by picking up even more flats of it at Wilco this year....

All all the plants I have I am most in love with a plant used as a ground cover. Shocked

gwennifer

Brandywines are consistently listed as being one of the top tasting tomato varieties around....the flavor might make a tomato lover out of you yet.

Then again Heirlooms tend to be a bit fussier to grow than Hybrids...you could get so frustrated growing them that you give up on tomatoes for ever!

We will see how it goes.

Anyway I wish you luck on your tomatoes...mine did not do so well last time..... the weather was horrible for tomatoes last year in my little corner of the Pacific Northwest.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 3/11/2012, 4:06 pm

I really enjoy being the local gardener that grows the "strange" plants

Daniel, you will get along fine here. Many of us enjoy trying the less common veggies and the "strange" varieties. Last year, in the Children's Garden nearby, we grew All Purple, White Satin and some red and yellow carrots, along with watermelon radishes, golden yellow beets, All Blue potatoes, kohlrabi, Cheddar Cauliflower and other colorful veggies.

I am hoping to get seeds for Indigo Rose, a blue tomato developed by OSU. Need to get to Territorial Seeds in Cottage Grove for those.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 3/16/2012, 10:00 pm

Ow great...now I find room in the garden for yet another Tomato variety!

Curse you Furbalsmom.....

Very Happy
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/17/2012, 2:56 am

Furb affraid Indigo Rose, a blue tomato cheers wow!!

that sounds amazing.....really....wow...gonna go look that one up.....sunny

hugs

rose....who is telling her self that she has enough babies growing under de lights...tongue really....you do rose...
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/25/2012, 11:03 pm

End of march update March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 692681

we got a ton done today in the gardens.

the weather was really nice this weekend sunny
hubby finished up 2 new raised beds with hoops. cheers a 4x10 & 4x8 out in our back garden area that we have been working on this fall and early spring. We planted our baby seedlings broc, caulis, cabbage, and bok choi along with Garlic and onions ( Walla Walla, red, white, and a special bunching onion from Guam from a friend of the family) and 7 different kinds of carrots. Baby seedlings still waiting to go in is koularoubi, leeks and brossel sprouts.

Hubby also built 2- 8x6 beds for corn and beans. cheers He is still working on the outline areas of the garden where my new asparagus bed is going and for our potatoes. Then after we pull the potatoes, squash/pumpkins area in the summer.

Out in our SFG we see lots of baby greens coming up,bounce spinach, lettuce, beets, radish, bok choi, sugar snap peas And Onions are standing tall. Still waiting to see sprouts from my Fava beans, garlic and heirloom sugar snap peas. We put in our kale baby seedlings and our collard green still growing strong from last year.[/size]

We have two different stages of carrots that over wintered and they are doing great. March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 998388915 we planted them in smaller wine barrels with MM. In one of the barrels I pulled up a carrot that was about 4-5 inches long and tasted so sweet! Next time I pull up something to eat, im going to go and hide! March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 1280598131 I had to share it with my family. the dogs even begged for the green tops! Too funny watching them trying to eat those tops! March 2012, in the Pacific NorthWest - Page 2 889526

My hubby surprised me with some 12 year anniversary presents .flower two green house's Shocked ....A 5x6 green house and one of those metal shelving stand that zips closed and makes a green house. And a garden seat that adjust in height and has four wheels!

Yes I’m spoiled geek

hugs

rose......who can hardly walk....cause her back hurts!

Last edited by FamilyGardening on 3/25/2012, 11:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/27/2012, 2:26 am

well the weather has been so nice that we were able to get our potatoes in to our new raised beds Very Happy 2-3'x5'....hubby did most of the work....Shocked

we took a bunch of pic's of before and after of the new remodeled back garden....its really looking good....still have some more work to do....asparagus bed is next...i hope Smile will post the pics as soon as i learn from hubby how to from this computer im using....my old computer is on the blink Sad

hugs

rose....hubby still telling her he can only do one thing at a time....tongue
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/27/2012, 8:29 am

FamilyGardening wrote:...snip...hubby still telling her he can only do one thing at a time....tongue

Thats why there are honey-do lists.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 3/27/2012, 8:33 am

Lavender Debs wrote:
FamilyGardening wrote:...snip...hubby still telling her he can only do one thing at a time....tongue

Hmmm... I'm pretty much the honey that does here. I get quite a bit of help sometimes, but if it needs to be built, I'm the one with the power tools. Laughing
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/27/2012, 1:03 pm

curio wrote:
Lavender Debs wrote:

Hmmm... I'm pretty much the honey that does here. I get quite a bit of help sometimes, but if it needs to be built, I'm the one with the power tools. Laughing

+1!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2