Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Toplef10Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) I22gcj10Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Toplef10Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) I22gcj10Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast)

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Empty Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast)

Post  LynDragon 4/2/2010, 11:37 pm

Hello Everyone! I am a new SFGer in Gulf Coast Mexico. I would really like some suggestions about what and when to plant here and how often I can replant. I am completely new at this, and very excited to get started.

When I am not digging around in the dirt, I am an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) professor at a local university.

I am looking forward to getting to know you here and sharing what's going on south of the Rio Bravo.

Take care,

Lyn Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Icon_elephant
LynDragon

Back to top Go down

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Empty Re: Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast)

Post  Kabaju42 4/3/2010, 1:01 am

Bienvenidos, es un placer tener ti aqui! No puedo practicar mi Espanol mucho, entonces me gusta la oportunidad.

Okay, back to English.

To answer the question of when and how often to plant, we need to look at your climate. What's it like down there? How cold does it get in the winter? How hot does it get in the summer? I'm guessing in Mexico it's warm all year round? Let us know.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Empty Re: Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast)

Post  timwardell 4/3/2010, 8:12 am

Hello and welcome to the Forum. Very Happy
Mmmmmm.... SFG in Mexico... I'm seeing an awesome salsa garden! (Can you grow chips and margaritas in an SFG or would the salt affect growth?) thinking
Tomatillo, cilantro, tomatoes, peppers... (drool)
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/3/2010, 9:22 am

LynDragon wrote:
When I am not digging around in the dirt, I am an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) professor at a local university.

I am looking forward to getting to know you here and sharing what's going on south of the Rio Bravo.

Take care,

Lyn Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Icon_elephant

Howdy Lyn:

A most hearty welcome. When you are "digging around in the dirt" what do you normally plant? Just about anything that can be grown in a row garden can be grown in a Square Foot Garden, except for weeds - they just don't stick around. And with a SFG it is easy to replant once a square is harvested or stops producing. Just add a trowel full of compost and replant with something else.

Do you have the book, "ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening"? The book answered a ton of questions that I had about SFG and I refer back to it on a regular basis.

I have lots and lots of questions about gardening south of the border so please post again and tell us all about your garden and gardening experiences.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Empty Thanks Kabaju42

Post  LynDragon 4/3/2010, 7:33 pm

Thanks Kabaju42 for the warm welcome. I don't practice my Spanish much either....since I would have to run ten laps around the parade grounds for speaking it in my classroom. That is the punishment for my students, and what is sauce for the goose....as the saying goes. They LOVE to invite visitors to the class who don't speak Spanish to try to catch me out....and I have run a lap or two.

:-(

Yes, it stays warm here almost all year long, although the climate has changed in the short time that I have been here. I guess I will experiment a little to see what will grow well all year long.

Take care,

Lyn
LynDragon

Back to top Go down

Hello from Tropical Mexico (Gulf Coast) Empty Hi timwardell

Post  LynDragon 4/3/2010, 7:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome Tim. I am wondering how many bottles of tequila I can plant to the square foot...!! I am really interested in planting tomoatoes, tomatillo, peppers, onions, everything to make a good salsa and also a good salad garden.

When the first crop of Pasion Azteca comes in, I will be sure to send out the invitations!

Take care,

Lynda
LynDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  LynDragon 4/3/2010, 7:44 pm

Hi Ward,

Thanks for the welcome. When I have dug in the dirt here, mostly what I have planted have been flowers and some strawberries in buckets. This is the first time I will have space and time to do a real garden justice. I want to do all the salad veggies and also things for a good salsa. I will probably do some herbs and flowers too. I have a lot of space...enough for four 4X4 plots with plenty of space in between for walkways.

I don't have the book, but a friend introduced me to this system of gardening when the first book came out, so I have a little bit of an idea of how to do it.

I will keep you posted!

Take care,

Lynda
LynDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down