Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Vs Hydropoinics Toplef10SFG Vs Hydropoinics 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Vs Hydropoinics I22gcj10SFG Vs Hydropoinics 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG Vs Hydropoinics Toplef10SFG Vs Hydropoinics 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG Vs Hydropoinics I22gcj10SFG Vs Hydropoinics 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG Vs Hydropoinics

2 posters

Go down

SFG Vs Hydropoinics Empty SFG Vs Hydropoinics

Post  mageice3 2/27/2012, 3:34 pm

After reading Mel's book (only for the third time) I decided there was an interesting correlation between ANSFG's and Simple Hydroponics gardens.

In a Hydro Garden you use an aggregate to support your plants and a nutrient solution to feed them. The aggregate of choice is coarse vermiculite mixed with peat moss for the same reasons Mel states (pg. 98). Then the nutrients are in a solution with water, and only accessible to the roots that enter the solution.

Now from this the only difference between the two is the source of nutrients (compost), however ancient systems used compost as the nutrients (at least from descriptions of the old Roman and Greek aqua-duct hydroponic systems, the soil was a deep black and made from dead plant material, sound familiar?) as well as expanded clay and peat moss. Now the expanded clay is still available but having worked with it I wouldn't recommend it, it feels like small pebbles and can be very sharp, So we use an equally absorbent material - Vermiculite.

So after much research (in both fields) its my opinion that what Mel did is rediscover ancient methods of efficient gardening, then improve on them. Take the descriptions of the hanging gardens of Babylon, each was placed on a wall (period walls would be between 2'-3' thick) and required very little maintenance or tending but produced enough food and flowers for the whole city.

Regardless of how it came to be, Mel's ANSFG is a hybrid hydroponic garden, without the air issues that plague many hydro systems (roots not getting enough air that is.) and I look forward to spending many years enjoying my gardens.

Hope to hear what you all think of this interesting insight,
James
mageice3
mageice3

Male Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

SFG Vs Hydropoinics Empty Re: SFG Vs Hydropoinics

Post  plantoid 2/27/2012, 4:08 pm

I'm betting that a minimum of a five way compost mix will supply far more nutrients and trace elements than any hydroponic solutions does . Infact I've cheated by saying that Wink , for I was given that information some 15 years or more ago by a NewZealand government employed agri expert when we were at a seminar on growing hydroponic crops and as to why they were so tasteless even when picked ripe .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/27/2012, 4:09 pm

plantoid wrote:I'm betting that a minimum of a five way compost mix with worm used stuff in it will supply far more nutrients and trace elements than any current chemical factory made hydroponic solutions does .

Infact I've cheated by saying that Wink , for I was given that information some 15 years or more ago by a NewZealand government employed agri expert when we were at a seminar on growing hydroponic crops and as to why they were so tasteless even when picked ripe .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  mageice3 2/27/2012, 4:54 pm

plantoid wrote:I'm betting that a minimum of a five way compost mix will supply far more nutrients and trace elements than any hydroponic solutions does . Infact I've cheated by saying that Wink , for I was given that information some 15 years or more ago by a NewZealand government employed agri expert when we were at a seminar on growing hydroponic crops and as to why they were so tasteless even when picked ripe .

While its true compost gives better nutrients that most hydroponic fertilizers (and costs a fraction of the price), many of the newer ones do supply enough nutrients to make delicious crops (mostly from the Nightshade family, or leaf veggies.) but the application is less ensured then with Mel's Mix, and that's where I find the quality improved (even in my seedlings, and I look forward to a more complete comparison when my veggies mature.)

Tho, I would like to point the finger at one Hydro technique that I find better than whats provided in soil, is Rooting Cuttings, the mist hydroponics systems are amazing for rooting Tomato Cuttings and when rooted can be planted into the ANSFG without any problems.

James
mageice3
mageice3

Male Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum