Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
three down, two to go Toplef10three down, two to go 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

three down, two to go I22gcj10three down, two to go 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
three down, two to go Toplef10three down, two to go 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

three down, two to go I22gcj10three down, two to go 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

three down, two to go

5 posters

Go down

three down, two to go Empty three down, two to go

Post  curio 2/26/2012, 8:26 pm

Well... as of this afternoon, the third of the beds have been set up with Mel's Mix. Two 4x5' that needed all the existing garden soil removed and moved elsewhere to be used in landscaping, and a new 2x8' bed for alliums.
The 4x10' has had the soil removed and is waiting for me to get the supplies to fill it also. The existing tomato "deep bed" in the greenhouse will have soil removed to be used in landscaping (18" of it in a 2x8' bed), a bottom panel installed to decrease the total soil in it to 8-10" and then refilled with the Mel's Mix.
Got the trellis finished on the back bed, and actually got to plant PEAS!!
Oh... also gathered as many earthworms from the soil being moved to add back into the new beds Smile Gotta have those little guys working hard, don't ya know.
curio
curio

Location : Maritime Pacific Northwest zone 8A/B with ugly heat scale

Back to top Go down

three down, two to go Empty Re: three down, two to go

Post  gwennifer 2/26/2012, 11:31 pm

three down, two to go 53366 You've been busy! Sounds like a lot of work, but in a fun way!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/26/2012, 11:45 pm

Love love LOVE what you are doing ....makes me wanna get out and get dirty.

You grow girl!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

three down, two to go Empty wrestling with 6 mil plastic

Post  curio 2/27/2012, 1:07 pm

I was quickly becoming afraid the plastic would win the battle. Silly me... I mis-read the size on that huge roll of 6 mil plastic that we have had for several years for the cloches and ground warming ... my feeble brain saw 20 and read 10. :scratch:

Anyway... after a comical hour and a half, (I know the neighbors are convinced I've lost what little of my mind there was)... the cloche has been installed on one of the 4x5' beds, and the remaining huge remnants have been folded (although not very neatly) and stored to be used to warm ground on the open box... or something.

I'm not looking forward to the 4x10' bed that will get a cloche after the MM is added.

The temperature when I went outside was 30 degrees, and I spent all the time outside in the garden walking of ground that was not just frost nipped but FROZEN!! Good thing I covered those peas with black plastic yesterday. Out front, when I got finished, the ground is thawed and all the frost is gone. It is going to be a lovely sunny day, so I'll be picking up more manure and peat moss so I can get working on that other bed this afternoon.
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/27/2012, 4:42 pm

Would it be easier & cheaper to fill that deep bed with sand 7 a wed cloth to bring it to a 6 inch deep bed rather than buy/use wood ? (I think I understood you right ???? )
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/27/2012, 7:46 pm

Curio, you are doing great!. Love that you already have three beds ready and peas planted. woot! woot!

The temperature when I went outside was 30 degrees, and I spent all the time outside in the garden walking of ground that was not just frost nipped but FROZEN!! Good thing I covered those peas with black plastic yesterday
Were you planning to keep the balck plastic there for more than a day or two? My concern is if those peas do sprout under the black plastic, they might either burn up if we get a "relatively" sunny day, or the peas might come up yellow due to no sunlight.

I have to admit, I am rooting for three down, two to go 385266 the sun, there has not been enough this winter.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

three down, two to go Empty cost of changes

Post  curio 2/27/2012, 7:50 pm

plantoid wrote:Would it be easier & cheaper to fill that deep bed with sand 7 a wed cloth to bring it to a 6 inch deep bed rather than buy/use wood ? (I think I understood you right ???? )

Not really, since the bed is 18" deep and 2'x10'. I already have marine plywood that's not being used for anything, and enough 2x4's and 4x4's to build a small fort, so the cost is time and labor only.
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  curio 2/27/2012, 7:52 pm

Were you planning to keep the balck plastic there for more than a day or two? My concern is if those peas do sprout under the black plastic, they might either burn up if we get a "relatively" sunny day, or the peas might come up yellow due to no sunlight.
I have to admit, I am rooting for three down, two to go 385266 the sun, there has not been enough this winter.

Nope, I plan to take it off each morning after the sun breaks over the treeline enough to thaw the ground if it's below freezing. I was amazed that this morning, the beds were frozen about 2" deep affraid.
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/27/2012, 8:56 pm

Laughing I was just checking. Sounds like you have a good plan for using the black plastic.

My MM was about 38 degrees F a week ago. I guess I should use some black plastic too, to warm mine up so I can get some of my cool crop seedlings out in another week or so.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

three down, two to go Empty plastic and soil temps

Post  curio 2/27/2012, 10:48 pm

Last Friday, the soil in my beds was 50 degrees, and this morning it was frozen Shocked
I usually use clear plastic to heat my beds unless there is a weed issue, especially if there is something planted under it. It enables me to warm the soil gradually, and keep an eye on any sprouts that might pop up. I did the black yesterday, since I hadn't uncovered the box of 6 mil clear in our shed then. That was part of this morning's projects... hahaha
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/28/2012, 9:46 am

This has nothing to do with your new beds or soil temp. I have to express my delight with your aviator and sig-line. I've been waiting to see how you express yourself. I love it!

Debs.....who sent a friends request (doesn't mean or do anything, more like a shout out on record)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

three down, two to go Empty thanks

Post  curio 2/28/2012, 9:55 am

Thanks Deb... I've been looking through garden photos trying to find the one that immediately makes me smile. Every time I see this one, I have to laugh at the look on hubby's face when I pulled up with that old HEAVY washing machine in the back of a friend's pick up truck, and then told him it was going in the veggie garden. Laughing
The garlic that is getting ready to bloom in that photo is for the birds and bees. I enjoy using anything I can as pollinator attractants.

the signature line came up when I was talking with some friends on Facebook about being out gardening and doing yardwork in the rain. One of them from Texas said they wanted to plant some of their garden that day but it was "misting". I laughed and told her that if WE didn't work outside in the mist, we'd never get much done. My other friend chimed in with that statement, and it was PERFECT!
curio
curio

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/28/2012, 6:57 pm

curio wrote:
plantoid wrote:Would it be easier & cheaper to fill that deep bed with sand 7 a wed cloth to bring it to a 6 inch deep bed rather than buy/use wood ? (I think I understood you right ???? )

Not really, since the bed is 18" deep and 2'x10'. I already have marine plywood that's not being used for anything, and enough 2x4's and 4x4's to build a small fort, so the cost is time and labor only.

Cue for all envious people to read another post Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum