Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 Toplef101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 I22gcj101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 Toplef101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 I22gcj101,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

1,000 worms on their way....

+54
AtlantaMarie
has55
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Thalia Budai
Marc Iverson
sanderson
CaptainKidney
grownsunshine
mschaef
Triciasgarden
Nain de Jardin
yolos
Turnip
kgreseth
Dreaming of Green
Lemonie
Thomas
littlejo
Lindacol
bnoles
mollyhespra
camprn
meatburner
CapeCoddess
No_Such_Reality
songstriss
Kelejan
Pepper
Coelli
givvmistamps
brenda g
chjbr63
FamilyGardening
AvaDGardner
Grandpop
curio
Boz
Laurie Lou
GWN
plantoid
LeeAnne12
Josh
RoOsTeR
shannon1
Ha-v-v
lonewolfrissy
Furbalsmom
walshevak
BackRiver_SFG
quiltbea
1airdoc
gwennifer
elliephant
llama momma
58 posters

Page 14 of 24 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 24  Next

Go down

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 Empty Re: 1,000 worms on their way....

Post  llama momma 1/17/2013, 5:41 pm

Previously left them alone for 3 weeks so I kinda felt they'd be ok as long as there was a lot of bedding. I was busy with holiday houseguests for a couple weeks. Once they left my almost 14-1/2 yr. old house cat rapidly became critically ill. Several tests could not define the source of the problem. My 2 wonderful blessed vets were able to bring her back to life from a very near death situation. I was consumed with caring for her and dealing with such sadness at the thought of losing my little buddy. It was very tough to watch an old friend go down so fast. But it's in the past, she may have used up severalcat lives but she is back better than ever so it seems.
Otherwise, don't think I would've left my little worm friends unattended for quite so long!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/17/2013, 6:21 pm

I was talking to the worm guy at a seminar and he said he had left his worm hotel for up to 2 months. Lots of bedding and 1/2 of a good sized watermelon rind. He had scooped out the pink. I was worried about starting a worm bin because of my travels. Luckily, my neighbor was willing to bring her kitchen scraps to my worms last summer when I was gone for over 3 months. I had left plenty of newspaper for her to shred bedding.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/17/2013, 7:29 pm

Kay
It's pretty nice that you have an understanding neighbor to help out during those months.
That fellow said 2 months - wow, good to know. I had not heard of a specific time frame before. Assuming I suppose the other factors like food, temp, bedding, moisture, etc. are going well.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/17/2013, 9:10 pm

I guess I am TRYING to leave them alone for longer, it is just that I have such cabin fever that I am DYING to watch something grow. My DH says that the worms are likely so glad when we go away for a few days, so they can be left alone...
I just love watching them squiggle around, and I love seeing how healthy they all are. I guess I just need another distraction..... anyone want someone to check in on their worms... Very Happy
My husband says that they likely need a little privacy so that they CAN reproduce...
I am also thrilled to have totally (or at least almost totally) gotten rid of the fruit flies. So much nicer without them flying into my hair.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/18/2013, 7:39 am

[quote="GWN"].... anyone want someone to check in on their worms... Very Happy
Sure , your flight to Ohio probably won't take too long, rofl
I am also thrilled to have totally (or at least almost totally) gotten rid of the fruit flies. So much nicer without them flying into my hair. /quote] I think I underfeed and keep really thick bedding, haven't had a fruit fly issue. Or maybe I need a new eyeglass prescription cyclops
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/18/2013, 11:23 am

I think I underfeed and keep really thick bedding, haven't had a fruit fly issue. Or maybe I need a new eyeglass prescription
Beleive me you KNOW it when you have them, they even get in your teeth.
I think that is what she says in the "worms eat my garbage" book.
Hey if I WERE to fly to Ohio, that would give MY worms a break from me, but likely drive your worms crazy...
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 Empty I want to be a worm mom too

Post  Dreaming of Green 1/18/2013, 2:56 pm

I have spent my morning reading this entire thread, it took two very large mugs of tea and about 3 hours - note taking included. Extremely informative and entertaining I might add. I laughed loud enough to wake my dog a couple of times. I am very interested in venturing into the world of worms. I saw the plans for the Wiggler Hilton the other day and then I saw this thread. Lots of good info, links and experience to draw from Very Happy

Now the hard part, convincing my husband to let me have a worm farm, help me build my rain barrel system and build my wicking pond beds before I lose my entire spring growing season - LOL never gonna happen

I can dream
Dreaming of Green
Dreaming of Green

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/18/2013, 3:14 pm

If your husband has a hard time agreeing to the worms let him read this...dear sir, please let your wife have worms. Very Happy
My husband is not thrilled I've had worms for almost a year. I believe he is Embarassed that I have worms and kept a bin of them in the spare bathroom. My dearest friends look at me a little more funny than they use to. But these little critters do more good for our soil and plants than (in my opinion) a giant company like Monsanto does for the entire country. Worms will eat your garbage yet their castings will give you healthier plants that will grow better and be able to fight off disease and pests better. This will make your wife very happy and you very healthy! What a Face
Btw - I moved my worms to the basement where they will thrive. I have 2 bins and a bucket of them, and thinking of adding another bin. In closing these little guys are quiet and not smelly so...Let your wife have some worms! 1,000 worms on their way.... - Page 14 3170584802 In time she may also learn how to keep them permanently outside which is my goal for the future. This is so I can have ( guess what ) more worms. Keeping worms is quickly becoming a very strong underground movement - no pun intended!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/18/2013, 4:35 pm

BB\'s happy face + 1 what LL said above happy2

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 1/19/2013, 2:58 pm

My hubs wasn't into the idea either....but he knows that when I get an idea in my head, I research like crazy and go for it! (poor guy!) So, I started a very small one in a butter container under the sink where it's completely out of the way. I let him know that it benefits us because it will be less money spent on fertilizer with much better yields....plus, it gives me something garden-wise to do in the winter (aka: happy wife, happy life!) rofl
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreaming of Green 1/19/2013, 5:03 pm

I will have the hubby read as requested Wink

I wish I could keep them outside year-round, I think I have the opposite problem of most: winter= no problem, summer=worms for dinner. July & August average about 110+ daytime 90+ overnight. Don't wanna eat worms, I admit.

Still thinking on the best place to keep them and out of the way. I don't think the coffee table, or a dining room bench will work - lol.

Dreaming of Green
Dreaming of Green

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/19/2013, 6:42 pm

Still thinking on the best place to keep them and out of the way.
Do you have a basement or crawl space? that would be a good place in the summer, I kept mine behind the bathroom door for the first 6 months, but I did not freeze all the food I was giving my worms, as had been suggested, and so got flies. I moved them out to greenhouse for awhile, but it was too hot there and then for the hot part of the summer (we get temps up to the 90s here for the summer) I found them a nice shady place and put a piece of carpet over them to make sure they were always in the shade. Now I keep them in our furnace room which is in our basement, and the warmest place in the basement.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/19/2013, 6:49 pm

Mine live in my laundry room. Had a fruit fly problem until I started freezing all food first. There is no smell.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/20/2013, 11:30 am

GWN wrote:

Still thinking on the best place to keep them and out of the way.
Do you have a basement or crawl space? that would be a good place in the summer, I kept mine behind the bathroom door for the first 6 months, but I did not freeze all the food I was giving my worms, as had been suggested, and so got flies. I moved them out to greenhouse for awhile, but it was too hot there and then for the hot part of the summer (we get temps up to the 90s here for the summer) I found them a nice shady place and put a piece of carpet over them to make sure they were always in the shade. Now I keep them in our furnace room which is in our basement, and the warmest place in the basement.
I have just realized I have a furnace room. I think that would be a better place than my living room; they wouldn't have to listen to the TV and it is always dark. Moving time this afternoon. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Dreaming of Green 1/20/2013, 2:18 pm

ahh, to have a basement. Nope, they don't build those here in my neck of the woods (no woods either tongue ) the ground is to hard and we have lots of caliche, which is a pain to remove. So as a result, no basements. If they exsist here it is very rare and usually a private builder/custom home. No laundry room either, just a closet. I don't think they would like to live "on" the dryer... Oh well.

I will find a space!!! Just not sure where, yet.

Have fun with moving day Smile
Dreaming of Green
Dreaming of Green

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/20/2013, 6:25 pm

I have just realized I have a furnace room.
kelijan, you are so funny..... rofl
Dreaming of Green, .... a closet would be a lovely place for worms to live.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/20/2013, 7:13 pm

[quote="GWN"]
I have just realized I have a furnace room.
kelijan, you are so funny..... rofl

Well, I've checked it put and realize there is not enough room there for anything else when the door is shut. Also, as it is a gas furnace, I wonder if the air flow would be OK. They are going to continue to keep me company while I watch TV. Anyway, it is easier to talk to them.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/21/2013, 5:07 pm

[quote we have lots of caliche, which is a pain to remove. well.

Smile[/quote]

:scratch: I had to look up study what your caliche problem is about since this Long Island bred gal never heard of caliche before. Very Interesting.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/21/2013, 5:09 pm

I had to look up what your caliche problem is about since this Long Island bred gal never heard of caliche before. Very Interesting.
So are you going to share with the rest of us who might just be in the shade about what a caliche is?? Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/21/2013, 5:23 pm

nope rofl
It's a rock layer that lies close to the soil surface. So much that it is difficult to have a basement or garden.

Last edited by llama momma on 1/21/2013, 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more info)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  kgreseth 1/22/2013, 4:15 pm

Hi there - I live in Tampa and no issue with my worms outside year round. It gets smoking hot and humid here in the summer. During this time I just make sure to have them on the deck under a tree so they are shaded and protected from the rain (don't want them to drown:)) if it gets really hot I just crack the lid a little bit during the day (make sure to close it at night or you may have escape artists:)). As for fruit flies never a problem so long as I cover their food up well. I use damp newspaper, used paper towels, used dryer sheets, etc. Works like a dream. It is cooler now so my red wigglers supposedly get a little unhappy when the temp is less than 40 degrees so when the temp drops I just move them closer to the back sliders so they get some radiant heat from the house. I've had them since last Christmas (yes, they were a christmas present) and they have done fantastically well - eating about 2 lbs of scraps a week. I have one of the green 4 tier systems with the drain at the bottom - works like a dream! Good luck (BTW I started out with just a small bag of worms and they filled up my box in no time!.

Dreaming of Green wrote:ahh, to have a basement. Nope, they don't build those here in my neck of the woods (no woods either tongue ) the ground is to hard and we have lots of caliche, which is a pain to remove. So as a result, no basements. If they exsist here it is very rare and usually a private builder/custom home. No laundry room either, just a closet. I don't think they would like to live "on" the dryer... Oh well.

Have fun with moving day Smile
kgreseth
kgreseth

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas 1/22/2013, 6:48 pm

I received my worm factory yesterday and will get the worms in the next day or two. It is currently 8 degrees (feels like -Cool. I thought they might come today, so I put out a cooler with two bottles of hot water in it. When I got home, the water bottles were still above 80 degrees and the cooler interior was pleasantly warm. My burpee seed order was in there, but no worms yet. Sad
Thomas
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/22/2013, 6:59 pm

Great!
The warmed up box sounds perfect.
Don't know about you but I was like a little kid while waiting for my worms. Fred, my postman was well aware of safely delivering the box. Keep us informed!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/22/2013, 9:54 pm

kgreseth

I've had them since last Christmas (yes, they were a christmas present)
WHAT A GREAT christmas present, definately NOT one you will find later on in a local thrift store.
I ALSO have the 4 tiered system, but then expanded with several other odds and ends I have grown them in. Do you find that the lower shelf tends to fill up with fluid?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  kgreseth 1/23/2013, 10:53 am

GWN wrote:kgreseth

I've had them since last Christmas (yes, they were a christmas present)
WHAT A GREAT christmas present, definately NOT one you will find later on in a local thrift store.
I ALSO have the 4 tiered system, but then expanded with several other odds and ends I have grown them in. Do you find that the lower shelf tends to fill up with fluid?

I did find some of the lower layers getting wet. I leave the spiqot open with a cup underneath and if too wet I'll add a little cocofiber to the top layer
kgreseth
kgreseth

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 24 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19 ... 24  Next