Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Toplef10I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... I22gcj10I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Toplef10I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... I22gcj10I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update...

+4
lisaphoto
B00kemdano
dmsandlin
dianamarie03
8 posters

Go down

I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Empty I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update...

Post  dianamarie03 2/15/2012, 3:43 pm

I'm horrible at keeping a garden journal, so maybe I'll be better at maintaining a vlog about my ideas, progress, and successes and failures. Not a whole lot to see in this video, but everyone has to start somewhere Smile

dianamarie03

Female Posts : 96

Back to top Go down

I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Empty Re: I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update...

Post  dmsandlin 2/15/2012, 4:34 pm

Grew ground cherries last year.

Loved them!! Very Happy

Hope you do, too!
dmsandlin
dmsandlin

Back to top Go down

I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Empty Re: I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update...

Post  B00kemdano 2/15/2012, 6:27 pm

Except for the ones you got in the seed exchange... are these seeds that you saved from last year? From packets? Something else?
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 2/16/2012, 11:14 am

dmsandlin, I got a seedling last year from another poster on this forum. The fruits were really good and I'm looking forward to having them again!

B00kemdano, they are all from purchased seed except for the ground cherries. Smile
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 2/16/2012, 1:31 pm

I hope you keep this updated b/c you are in Ohio like me, have a head start on your seedlings over me, and are growing similar plants. Let us know when you update. One question, do you usually start your seeds this early. According to my Johnny's seeds seed starting chart, it lists tomatoes being started late March. Have you had luck starting them this early before?
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 2/16/2012, 1:46 pm

Lisa,

I'm really new to gardening, this is only my 4th year growing, and the 3rd year with sfg. I know it's pretty early to start seeds, but I got antsy so I'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll even start another batch when the recommended date comes along and do a comparison. It's just a little time and a few seeds if I fail Smile I'm hoping to get more grow lights and a shelving unit for my garage so as the plants grow I can up-pot them and have more room when the time goes.

This weird winter is giving me the gardening itch!
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 2/16/2012, 2:00 pm

lol! you guys made me think of Blackrose last year up in Canada who started her tomato seeds early and had to wait so long to put them out. She had tomato plants taking over her kitchen... Smile But I think they still did fine for her. Smile See this thread:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5106p60-blackrose-s-2011-sfg
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 2/16/2012, 2:09 pm

Haha, I remember following that thread last year Smile I'd love to have plants that big and healthy to plant out when my frost date passes! I'm going to try burying the stems nice and deep when I re-pot them to get good root growth. I might even try pruning my pepper plants to get them nice and bushy.
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/16/2012, 4:26 pm

I'll have to blame it on my old eyes, but it looks like those in the back are getting leggy, unless its just my perspective.

Are your lights only 2" above the tops of the plants? That's where they should be. If you have them higher, the plants will stretch to reach and get leggy.

I like your set-up. We must make room where we can when it comes to starting our own seeds. I've been thinking of making videos of my garden this year if I can figure out how to do it with my digital camera....which takes videos, too.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 2/17/2012, 11:07 am

Thanks quiltbea, I kinda thought that too. I moved them up a few inches, they are about 2-3 inches from the lights now Smile
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 3/2/2012, 10:40 am

Here's an update!
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/2/2012, 11:57 am

I'm enjoying your vlogging. What zone are you?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 3/2/2012, 2:03 pm

Thank you quiltbea! I think I'm 5b but with the new hardiness zones I might be a 6?
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Empty thanks for sharing..

Post  emiller 3/29/2012, 6:46 am

i starated all my veggies first week in March. I am in MI. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but my plants are always bigger when I plant them out and do very well. In the past years I had a very large garden, over an acre, but we had to downsize. I am desperately in need of ground cherry..anyone have any they could share?
emiller
emiller

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 5/7/2012, 1:27 pm

Turns out I'm just as bad at vlogging as I am at keeping a journal lol. Anyway, here are some pictures of the ground cherries I started from seed. Just planted them out a few days ago, they already have flowers! And if you look closely, you'll see a tiny husk forming Smile Hope everyone else's are coming along nicely! I'm prepared to cover mine tonight, looks like strong thunderstorms with possible hail on the way.

[img]I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Imag0610[/img]
[img]I'm vlogging! Seed starts and ground cherry update... Ground12[/img]
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 5/7/2012, 1:32 pm

Wow, your ground cherry plants look totally different than mine. They are only about 1 inch tall, but wide. And some had blooms but I picked them off because I hadn't transplanted them yet
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  dianamarie03 5/7/2012, 1:36 pm

It's probably better if they aren't so tall, I think mine should have been a little closer to the grow lights Smile I'll stake them up if they get too heavy.
dianamarie03

Back to top Go down

Post  lisaphoto 5/8/2012, 10:40 am

I don't know, I think mine got stunted b/c they haven't really grown much in the last month. I think b/c I was leaving them outside even when the temps were cooler. Same with my tomatoes. Hopefully everything will catch up
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/8/2012, 11:26 am

Its true that plants seem to stop growing when it gets too cool for them. They don't put on more growth til it warms up again.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/8/2012, 12:00 pm

Mine were started 3/30 and are about inch to 1-1/2 inches tall and are still in the house. Downloaded info by a woman who ran a CSA and she advises to let the soil almost dry out before watering again. Harden off and plant when conditions are right for tomatoes, peppers, etc. Cold, poorly drained, and prolonged wetness can stress them. Otherwise it sounds like this is a fantastic plant and I can't wait to get them outside.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down