Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help me find problems with my garden layout Toplef10help me find problems with my garden layout 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help me find problems with my garden layout I22gcj10help me find problems with my garden layout 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
help me find problems with my garden layout Toplef10help me find problems with my garden layout 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

help me find problems with my garden layout I22gcj10help me find problems with my garden layout 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

help me find problems with my garden layout

+10
walshevak
Furbalsmom
Czarina
plantoid
Luci Dawson
rhanford
Lindacol
littlejo
Windsor.Parker
jazzymaddy
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

help me find problems with my garden layout Empty help me find problems with my garden layout

Post  jazzymaddy 2/10/2012, 4:41 pm

All right, I need some eyes of wisdom and experience on my garden plan for this spring/summer. I am open to any criticism, suggestion, etc. Smile

help me find problems with my garden layout Spring12

4x8 box

1st row:
peas, peas, peas, dill, broccoli, broccoli, carrots, zucchini (will sprawl outside of the box)
2nd row:
lettuce, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, broccoli, broccoli, carrots, carrots
3rd row:
lettuce, lettuce, spinach, cauliflower, cauliflower, onions, garlic, pumpkin (just one plant for the two boxes pictured - allow to sprawl out)
4th row:
corn, corn (I will add more corn once the lettuce is done), peppers, cauliflower, cauliflower, onions, garlic, pumpkin

2x8 box
(I will have a trellis on the 8' side, which is on the west, but I am planning on putting plants that do well with partial sun. That spot in my yard gets full sun all day)
1st row: tomatoes x5, cukes, peas, watermelon (sprawl)
2nd row: strawberries, strawberries, strawberries, carrots, spinach, spinach, lettuce, lettuce

All right, have at it! Thanks y'all.

Tracy in SC
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Female Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

help me find problems with my garden layout Empty Re: help me find problems with my garden layout

Post  Windsor.Parker 2/10/2012, 9:41 pm

Swap positions of the corn and pepper with the peas in the North corner. You'll minimize shading your lettuce and spinach.
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

help me find problems with my garden layout Empty Re: help me find problems with my garden layout

Post  jazzymaddy 2/10/2012, 10:26 pm

Oh, good catch. Thanks!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 2/10/2012, 10:35 pm

Hi Tracy,

Looks like a good plan, any plan that suits you is fine for you! The only thing I'd do is move the cukes. I don't know where I'd put them, but from experience, I'll say they are voracious in their growth habits. They will attach to a trellis, but they will grab onto the tomato plants, and you will spend your time getting them off the tomato plants. I have the notion they could hurt because they grab on tightly. They may not do any harm, but, mine bothered the heck out of me and my tom's.

Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/10/2012, 10:44 pm

Great point. I actually had my cukes and maters together last year, and I did struggle with that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me in making this plan. Smile

Thanks!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/10/2012, 11:27 pm

Okay, here we go with suggested changes. I'm still open for more suggestions is you spot something!

help me find problems with my garden layout Spring13
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/10/2012, 11:32 pm

jazzymaddy wrote:Great point. I actually had my cukes and maters together last year, and I did struggle with that. Don't know why it didn't occur to me in making this plan. Smile

Thanks!

I'm also not sure I would have the cukes next to the peas as I havent grown peas before.

Here is my note to myself from last june when I started planting in March:

My pole beans & cucumbers have merged and grown off the top of the 4 ft trellis. The beans have not yet bloomed but the cucs have. There is such a jungle that I haven't found any cucs yet.

Note to self: DO NOT plant beans next to cucs again and give them both a higher trellis.

Enlarge this imageReduce this image Click to see fullsize
help me find problems with my garden layout Beansc10

I couldn't find the cukes til the were mostly too big. Same with the bans. This was one square of beans and I think one cucumber.

Last edited by Lindacol on 2/10/2012, 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  rhanford 2/10/2012, 11:37 pm

everything looks alright, but for proper pollination, corn need at least 5x5 for non SFG. Two plants might just be a waste. . . might consider something else for those two squares.
rhanford
rhanford

Female Posts : 26

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000615830082

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/10/2012, 11:45 pm

Forgot to mention that I'm planning to put in more corn once I harvest those lettuces, so I will end up with 6 squares total. Will that be sufficient?

And I am not sure what else to do about the cucumbers. I only got one cuke off of two plants last year, and then I got some gummy disease that killed it late in the season. Not a great year for that. I definitely want to give it a better fighting chance. Should I allow my watermelon to sprawl, and just move the cuke down a square?

Thanks you guys for all your help!!!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 2/10/2012, 11:56 pm

jazzymaddy wrote:Forgot to mention that I'm planning to put in more corn once I harvest those lettuces, so I will end up with 6 squares total. Will that be sufficient?

And I am not sure what else to do about the cucumbers. I only got one cuke off of two plants last year, and then I got some gummy disease that killed it late in the season. Not a great year for that. I definitely want to give it a better fighting chance. Should I allow my watermelon to sprawl, and just move the cuke down a square?

Thanks you guys for all your help!!!

Last year I planted corn after I harvested my onions in June. I had about 6 squares with what ended up being about 20 stalks that grew (Mel recommends 4 per square). Most stalks had 2 ears. It was so delicious - I was very happy with it. I will probably follow the garlic and potatoes with corn this year.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/11/2012, 9:08 am

Awesome! We got one ear of corn last year, but it was so tasty that it was worth it!
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 2/11/2012, 3:35 pm

jazzymaddy: what software did you use to plan your garden?
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/11/2012, 3:50 pm

Jazzy,

That looks good , very good .
Here's a suggestion ..don't know if its possible or cheap but here goes.

Get the pictures of your crops put on white magnetic sheets , cover with a high grade sticky sheet and cut the individual squares slightly smaller than the fit to square foot scale .
Put your plan sheets on magnetic sheet and cover as before .

Put your SFG plan sheets on a metal backed surface like a fridge door or teaching board and away you go ... as soon as you clear a square remove the original label & insert the new crop magnetic label but do keep the kids away form the boards Wink .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/11/2012, 3:55 pm

Luci Dawson wrote:jazzymaddy: what software did you use to plan your garden?

For the first iteration in this post, I used the planner on gardeners.com. Here's the link.

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/Page-KGPJS

Then I just did a screen capture and saved it as a jpeg.

But then I wanted to able to move it around more easily and save it in my files, so I re-created it with excel and clip art. Not very high tech. Smile
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/11/2012, 3:57 pm

plantoid wrote:Jazzy,

That looks good , very good .
Here's a suggestion ..don't know if its possible or cheap but here goes.

Get the pictures of your crops put on white magnetic sheets , cover with a high grade sticky sheet and cut the individual squares slightly smaller than the fit to square foot scale .
Put your plan sheets on magnetic sheet and cover as before .

Put your SFG plan sheets on a metal backed surface like a fridge door or teaching board and away you go ... as soon as you clear a square remove the original label & insert the new crop magnetic label but do keep the kids away form the boards Wink .

Love that idea. Good for us visual learners. I just keep it saved on my computer though, which is free. That works better since I can buy more seedlings with the savings... Wink
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Czarina 2/11/2012, 4:12 pm

jazzymaddy wrote:Okay, here we go with suggested changes. I'm still open for more suggestions is you spot something!

I'm super new, but I thought peppers need a trellis to grow? You have yours in the middle of your 4x8 with the spinach and broccoli.
Czarina
Czarina

Female Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/11/2012, 4:50 pm

I grew peppers in the middle of the bed. Most don't get over 15-18 inches tall, but may need support because the peppers can be heavy.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Czarina 2/11/2012, 5:01 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:I grew peppers in the middle of the bed. Most don't get over 15-18 inches tall, but may need support because the peppers can be heavy.

I want to plant peppers this year, but am racking my brain about space (trellis). How could I put support in place for peppers so that I can save my trellis room for tomatoes and cucumbers?
Czarina
Czarina

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/11/2012, 5:39 pm

Perhaps fix two 1 inch square uprights at / across the middle of an SFG box perhaps using cheap " F" clamps from a dollar & dime shop , fasten cord across the tops so you have a soccer goal sort of frame of poles and cord , then hang something down from the overhead cord over the square where you need support .

What hangs down could be another cord or a piece of wooden dowel etc. placed a couple of inches deep in the MM
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/11/2012, 6:03 pm

They don't need a trellis, but would appreciate a supporting stake.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Czarina 2/12/2012, 3:38 am

Support, check!
No trellis for pepper, check!

Getting more excited learning this stuff.
Czarina
Czarina

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2/12/2012, 5:00 am

jazzymaddy wrote:Okay, here we go with suggested changes. I'm still open for more suggestions is you spot something!

The zucchini will kill the carrots. It needs more room - probably that 4 squares in the corner.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 2/12/2012, 6:29 am

Chopper

I like you layout as I have built a 4x8 SFG as well. I had to do my plan on excel so were did you get the nice graph and plants???

I would like to put mine up for review as well....
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/12/2012, 8:03 am

floyd1440 wrote:I like you layout as I have built a 4x8 SFG as well. I had to do my plan on excel so were did you get the nice graph and plants???

I would like to put mine up for review as well....

The graph is just the cells enlarged to the right size, then I applied a border to the right places. For the plants, I just clicked "Insert" then "Clip Art", and did a search in the clip art library for tomato, carrot, etc.

Hope that helps.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzymaddy 2/12/2012, 8:07 am

Chopper wrote:
The zucchini will kill the carrots. It needs more room - probably that 4 squares in the corner.

Last year I had a zucchini in one square in the corner that I trained to flop over the side of the box, and it worked well. Of course, I only got 4 or 5 zucchinis. Maybe that was the problem. Or maybe it was the extreme heat and the bugs.
jazzymaddy
jazzymaddy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next