Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! Toplef10Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! I22gcj10Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! Toplef10Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! I22gcj10Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands!

5 posters

Go down

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! Empty Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands!

Post  FoolishTook 2/4/2012, 9:55 am

Hello fellow SFGers! I'm glad to be here, and really glad to have the resource to whom to reach out with gardening questions.

I've done a little container gardening, most successfully done wish herbs, but now I'm moving on to vegetable gardening. Now the happy renter of a plot at my local community garden, I have space to not only put peas and tomatoes, but even rhubarb and asparagus.

I'm particularly thrilled to have found Mel's Square Foot Garden book. Last spring, before I had access to such a garden plot, I would take breaks from writing grad school papers and bury myself in the book with a highlighter and bunch of stickies. That book pretty much kept me sane through finals week.

I look forward to chatting with you all, and maybe even meet some local Vermonters!

Have a great weekend!

Jamie
FoolishTook
FoolishTook

Back to top Go down

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! Empty Re: Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands!

Post  camprn 2/4/2012, 10:22 am

Hi Jamie and Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! 396615 to the SFG Forum! I am a neighbor to the east and south of you about 3 hours away. Did you say you had the All New Square Foot Gardening book (2006)?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! Empty Re: Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands!

Post  FoolishTook 2/4/2012, 10:24 am

Actually, now that I check, I have the edition from 1981, rather than the All New 2006 version.
FoolishTook
FoolishTook

Back to top Go down

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! Empty North Country Gardening

Post  tomperrin 2/4/2012, 10:31 am

We had a tiny organic garden (Pre-SFG) on Chateaugay Lake, NY camp due west of Burlington, considerably higher altitude. We did extremely well with rhubarb, potatoes, peas, strawberries. We will be putting the place up for sale in a few weeks, but will turn the whole plot over to zinnias for the lucky buyer. Burlington is closer to sea level and perhaps quite a bit longer growing season. How big is your allotment?

tom
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/4/2012, 10:33 am

oooooooooooh, you gotta get the newer one. Much improved! The edition you have is good info but most of the gardeners here have found the way of the new book much, much better. I know that I have... conveniently enough UVM library has an available copy Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FoolishTook 2/4/2012, 10:47 am

Tom, I have a 15'x15' plot. All of my plants are from companies in the same Grow Zone, so the species they carry are chosen because they do well in this area. =D My garden plan as it currently stands is on this thread: https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t10122-garden-plan-2012

camprn, Duly noted! I will have to look into the new and improved version, then; thank you for the tip. =) Anything you particularly think I should keep an eye out for, as I'm reading for comparison between the two?
FoolishTook
FoolishTook

Back to top Go down

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! Empty Don't overlook the winter harvest

Post  tomperrin 2/4/2012, 11:07 am

Eliot Coleman's book "The Winter Harvest Handbook - Year-Round Vegetable Production Using Deep Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses" was as much an eye-opener for me as was ANSFG. I found the book too late in the year to do much more than late planted garlic, lettuce and spinach but this year I will have it planned out a little bit better. The book is expensive ($30) but should be available on inter-library loan if not in your local lib. Coleman is in Harborside, ME. Also you might want to consider WinterSown techniques. http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/How_to_Winter_Sow.html
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/4/2012, 11:15 am

I agree with camprn - the method in the All New book is SOOOOO much easier than the old method - I started out with the original method in the late 1980s and resisted the new method . . . until I tried it.

Where are my manners . . . WELCOME!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Hello from a (possibly over-)enthusiastic gardener from the frozen Northlands! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/4/2012, 12:12 pm

I just bought a paperback copy of 'All New Square Foot Gardening' on Amazon for twelve bucks plus postage. They had them starting at ten something.

I started with the original book some years back and follow his concepts and even have his videos, which are a must for me to rewatch each spring. I'm loving reading his 'All New...' book and find his charts easier reading in this version and the color photos beautiful.

Any new boxes built will be filled with his 1/3 of each but for now, I just keep adding fresh compost to my older boxes to bring them up to snuff.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down