Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 Toplef10First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 I22gcj10First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 Toplef10First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 I22gcj10First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First timer and overwhelmed. Help!

+16
llama momma
Windsor.Parker
kesugeo
Furbalsmom
camprn
HieronRemade
shannon1
jkahn2eb
tomperrin
CharlesB
ashort
quiltbea
Chopper
wncsohn
landarch
meghory
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 Empty Re: First timer and overwhelmed. Help!

Post  llama momma 2/8/2012, 6:05 am

[quote="shannon1"] ".... , 1 part fluffed Pete..."

Love this Adorable typo. Yes go ahead and Fluff Pete, don't get too rough with him ! jocolor
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 Empty Re: First timer and overwhelmed. Help!

Post  walshevak 2/8/2012, 6:13 am

shannon1 wrote:I know you guys can do it just brake it down into steps. Find a sunny spot, build a 4x4 box, mix your 5 kinds of compost, then mix the magical Mels Mix 1 part mixed compost , 1 part fluffed Pete, 1part course grade vermiculite. Fill box 1/3 water, another 1/3 water, another 1/3 water. Then hardest part is done. Install the grid of your choice and a trilis on the north side for your vines.

Then let the fun start.First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 582897

Good advice. I've been gardening a long time and this is the only method I would recommend for a total newbie. You are more likely to get satisfactory results with the fewest mistake and least amount of work. IF YOU MAKE THE MM EXACTLY Start small, one or two beds , and grow some basics this first year. Lettuce, kale, spinach, tomatos and cukes in the summer. Get the feel of dirt on our hands. Then start expanding. I'm betting by next summer you will want more beds and an expanded fall crop. I spent 2 summers in Chicago and sure wish I had know about MM and SFG. I was real estate challenged and had a lot in pots and a small plot in the yard.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 Empty Thanks!

Post  meghory 2/8/2012, 9:58 am

These really are some great tips guys! Thanks so much!
meghory
meghory

Back to top Go down

Post  Glendale-gardener 2/8/2012, 10:11 am

I definitely agree with Kay. Last year was my first year SFG and I went a little overboard with my ambitiousness. I went with 3 3x6 beds 4 1x2 beds and about a dozen or more buckets and pots. It was a bit overwhelming. That being said, I still had a great time and plan to expand this year. But I am chilling out a bit on trying to grow "everything" I'm sticking mainly to the stuff that worked well last year and giving pumpkins another shot even though the squash bugs ate most of my plants last year.

Also, Mel recommends putting your garden close to your house if possible. I didn't do this for my large beds because the back of my house faces North but do it if you can. The closer it is to where you spend your time, the more likely you are to spend a few minutes here and there pulling weeds or snapping off suckers and you'll notice quickly if your MM is dry or you have a pest problem.
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 Empty Another compost question!

Post  meghory 2/8/2012, 10:41 am

I found an ad on Craigslist for garden soil. It's compost including several things including worm casings is what the ad says. Do you think this will work? How much would I need for a 4x4 box? The more I think about this the more I don't want to have to make my own compost. At least not yet! What do y'all think?
meghory
meghory

Back to top Go down

Post  HieronRemade 2/8/2012, 10:45 am

It totally depends on what the exact ingredients and ratios are...I would contact the guy and ask him for his complete recipe! And just an idea - if what they're advertising isn't sufficient for MM, maybe they would be willing to mix some to MM specifications for you if you asked? You might have to mix in your own vermiculite but hey, it's worth a try!
HieronRemade
HieronRemade

Male Posts : 139

https://www.youtube.com/user/HieronRemade

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 2/8/2012, 11:32 am

you would need about 3 cubic feet of compost for a 4'x4' box that is 6" high.

here's the math: 4' x'4 x.5' = 8 cubic feet of Mels Mix.

8/3 = 2.67 cubic feet each of Vermiculite, Compost (blend of 5 types), and Peat Moss.

When you purchase soil from someon else instead of making your own Mels Mix, you are at slight risk of them putting something in that you don't know about (clay based soil)...which would totaly defeat the purpose of Mels Mix.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/8/2012, 11:49 am

landarch wrote:you would need about 3 cubic feet of compost for a 4'x4' box that is 6" high.

here's the math: 4' x'4 x.5' = 8 cubic feet of Mels Mix.

8/3 = 2.67 cubic feet each of Vermiculite, Compost (blend of 5 types), and Peat Moss.

When you purchase soil from someon else instead of making your own Mels Mix, you are at slight risk of them putting something in that you don't know about (clay based soil)...which would totaly defeat the purpose of Mels Mix.
Mel's Mix Calculator <~~~click

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/9/2012, 12:03 am

[quote="llama momma"]
shannon1 wrote: ".... , 1 part fluffed Pete..."

Love this Adorable typo. Yes go ahead and Fluff Pete, don't get too rough with him ! jocolor
Embarassed
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

First timer and overwhelmed.  Help! - Page 2 Empty A new SFG Lexicon

Post  tomperrin 2/9/2012, 10:29 am

I see a new SFG Lexicon in the making. Tom's Error, Tom's Mix, Fluff Pete... What's next?Wink
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/9/2012, 11:14 am

We're a creative bunch so stay tuned Wink
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 2/9/2012, 1:10 pm

How the heck did I miss this thread??? Posted on my own doorstep too !!!! Sorry Embarassed Meghory. As you can see we have a really helpful bunch here to help you traverse the journey to become hooked on SFG'ning.

Are there any other questions you have that need answering? If not now then at any time. Welcome to the forum and good luck. We're here to help Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/11/2012, 11:22 am

Glendale-gardener wrote:Also, Mel recommends putting your garden close to your house if possible. I didn't do this for my large beds because the back of my house faces North but do it if you can. The closer it is to where you spend your time, the more likely you are to spend a few minutes here and there pulling weeds or snapping off suckers and you'll notice quickly if your MM is dry or you have a pest problem.

Mine isn't real close either, but I "fixed" that for myself.

The area that is fenced in to keep critters out is larger than necessary for the boxes. Hubby put one of those giant wooden spools that wire comes on out there to act as a table. A couple folding chairs next to it, and it becomes our morning "coffee spot".

Being me, I can't sit there and just relax if I see something needs done, I wind up getting up and doing it.

In short, if you can't put the garden near you, put you near the garden. Wink
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 2/12/2012, 6:41 am

Mine is in the front yard right next to where I park. It is impossible not to take care of.Twisted Evil
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum