Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  Toplef10What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  I22gcj10What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  Toplef10What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  I22gcj10What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners

+3
jpatti
HillbillyBob
Ha-v-v
7 posters

Go down

What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  Empty What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners

Post  Ha-v-v 2/1/2012, 8:30 am

I was going through the internet yet again for links to show what to plant where I live and found Mother Earth News a help Very Happy

I am in zone 8b, but I only use that for a point of reference to the first and last frost dates and to know what to plant. I go by the weather I see and feel at the time. I have ways to keep things from freezing now so I can be worry free of the frosts.

The link below has all the links below it as well. I just put them here so we could have them in one place.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/What-To-Plant-Now/Gulf-Coast-Gardening-Region.aspx

Florida Vegetable Gardening Guide, University of Florida
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/VH/VH02100.pdf

Georgia Vegetable Gardening Calendar, University of Georgia
http://pubsadmin.caes.uga.edu/files/pdf/C%20943_2.PDF

Alabama Vegetable Planting Chart, Auburn University
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0063/ANR-0063.pdf

Louisiana Vegetable Planting Guide, Louisiana State University
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/46F14CF6-CA36-44E4-95B9-6856552C94EC/56100/Pub1980VegetablePlantingGuide2009HIGHRES.pdf

Texas Vegetable Gardening Guide, Texas A & M University
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/guides/E-502_home_vegetable_guide.pdf

Vegetable Gardening in Mississippi, Mississippi State University
http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/vegetables/organic/index.html

Florida Organic Growers
http://www.foginfo.org/

Organic Gardening in Florida, University of Florida
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topic_organic_gardening

Beneficial Insects, Texas A&M University
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/downloads/beneficial.pdf

Louisiana Organics (ATTRA)
https://attra.ncat.org/sorg/la/

I love this weather we are having. I bet the pool goes up early this year !

Keeping spring in my thoughts keeps winter bright.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  Empty Re: What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners

Post  HillbillyBob 2/1/2012, 1:48 pm

nice list of links I'm in the same zone just not as close to the coast Very Happy If I was you I'd get me a couple tarps just in case our last frost date is 10-20 march,I use the 17 march,myself Shocked
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  Empty Re: What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners

Post  Ha-v-v 2/1/2012, 3:34 pm

HillbillyBob wrote:nice list of links I'm in the same zone just not as close to the coast Very Happy If I was you I'd get me a couple tarps just in case our last frost date is 10-20 march,I use the 17 march,myself Shocked

I have ways to keep things from freezing now so I can be worry free of the frosts.

I have a hoop over the bed that is planted and a hoop house that is up for the seedlings.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/1/2012, 3:54 pm

The average frost dates vary a LOT within a zone.

What you want to do is locate your county extension office. They will have the average dates much more specifically for you. They usually have a web site or you can call them and ask.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 2/1/2012, 3:59 pm

This link resurfaces all the time on the forum and is probably one of the most comprehensive for first and last frost dates. Simply input your zip code and it will give you climate info by county. Not sure if there is anything out there more granular than that, but several forum members use this site. Currently it has my zip code in it, but simply replace "62703" with your zip code and search.
FROST DATES
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/1/2012, 4:26 pm

The links in the first post refer to the local states, it will give you the extensions there. For instance, the one for MSU is Mississippi State University, it is for our state and offers information for the whole state.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/1/2012, 5:18 pm

UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:This link resurfaces all the time on the forum and is probably one of the most comprehensive for first and last frost dates. Simply input your zip code and it will give you climate info by county. Not sure if there is anything out there more granular than that, but several forum members use this site. Currently it has my zip code in it, but simply replace "62703" with your zip code and search.
FROST DATES

I like this link saving it!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 2/1/2012, 10:32 pm

I have used all kinds of sites to tell me it's ok to plant. Here's one to input zipcode, tells ya when to start indoors, direct sow, etc.

Jo

http://www.burpee.com/gygg/growingCalendarWithZipCode.jsp?catid=1000&_requestid=981538
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 2/2/2012, 12:59 am

I liked it too Ha-v-v - I'm sure I got it from BBG or Boffer or someone like that last year (thanks guys). Smile I then just used those dates and the charts in the back of the book...and that's pretty much all you need. The only time I look at other sites is if I want to grow something that Mel didn't list in the back of the book. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  jpatti 2/2/2012, 7:43 am

That link where you check by zip code is about 3 days off versus my county extension office. Pretty darned accurate.
jpatti
jpatti

Female Posts : 117

Back to top Go down

What to Plant When Resources for Gulf Coast Gardeners  Empty USDA Revised Plant Hardiness Maps

Post  partygnome 10/17/2012, 12:54 pm

I'm new to Southern gardening, and in my case Gulf Coast gardening. (I'm originally from Michigan.) Adjusting to the warmer climate for gardening, plus a 20+ year hiatus from gardening, has forced me to re-learn a lot of what I knew. This has been especially true with the hardiness zones. Due to climatic changes and additional data, the USDA revised their Plant Hardiness zone maps earlier this year. Our area was Zone 8, but is now a Zone 9a, so I'll have to adjust accordingly.

Here's the address to the revised USDA maps. planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/ (The forum won't let me post the link since I just signed in today. Sad
partygnome
partygnome

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 10/17/2012, 9:28 pm

Thank you Partygnome and welcome to this site! welcome You will like it here!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down