Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Toplef10composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 I22gcj10composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Toplef10composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 I22gcj10composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Show us your kitchen compost container

+64
Mellen
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
kauairosina
trolleydriver
audrey.jeanne.roberts
dstack
has55
lynn5107
AtlantaMarie
giant_trainer
artisticfoodie
Triciasgarden
Marc Iverson
2SooCrew
sanderson
batmap
aerodyne
Lillyz
bnoles
Windmere
jazzycat
R&R 1011
Turnip
Goosegirl
rowena___.
ericam
CapeCoddess
Noie
Kelejan
Lindacol
TN_GARDENER
llama momma
Furbalsmom
janezee
Chopper
wncsohn
GWN
Mamachibi
boffer
walshevak
tomperrin
Cincinnati
CindiLou
EatYourVeggies
CarolynPhillips
peanut0915
fiddleman
southern gardener
Josh
plantoid
LittleGardener
Patty from Yorktown
Luci Dawson
gwennifer
Windsor.Parker
quiltbea
martha
mijejo
jkahn2eb
sceleste54
RoOsTeR
camprn
68 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Empty Re: Show us your kitchen compost container

Post  southern gardener 1/14/2012, 7:09 pm

Luci Dawson wrote:Would be a bit concerned about those with holes in the lids...doesn't that provide a port of entry for nasties and an exit for odors? I'll be using the red Folgers container.

We have one of the stainless steel ones with the holes in the top and love it! We have no problems with odor or fruit flies. I can say it does keep the odors inside too! Sometimes I take the lid of and PEWWW! Time to dump the pail. All I'm saying is, it keeps the odors IN because of the filter that comes with it! It's also very easy on the eyes too. Most people think ours is a cookie jar Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Empty Re: Show us your kitchen compost container

Post  fiddleman 1/14/2012, 9:27 pm

Count us in for the ice cream pail on the counter or under the sink.
fiddleman
fiddleman

Male Posts : 121

Back to top Go down

Post  peanut0915 1/14/2012, 11:20 pm

I tried doing compost last year in one of those plastic tumblers you can buy at your local gardening/home improvement centers. I didn't have much success as I am totally confused on what and how much of everything to put in. When you are talking about kitchen scraps, can you do fruit scraps as well as the veggie scraps, coffee grounds, egg shells, etc.?
peanut0915
peanut0915

Female Posts : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/15/2012, 12:51 am

ice cream bucket:
i know it takes a little more time and a little more clean up but= if you run your kitchen scraps through a food processor they will compost faster.
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  CarolynPhillips 1/15/2012, 12:56 am

Peanut===yes, all kitchen scraps except meat .

herbs
fruit
veggie
egg shells
coffee
tea
bread
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Empty choices, choices....

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/15/2012, 3:40 am

Although heavy and a bit awkward because of its weight, this was last years model prior to getting broken. It has a carbon filter in the lid, held quite a bit and is/was fairly attractive.

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Images10

Since it got broke, this years model is pictured below, will be kept in the garage and serve to turn compost into worm castings

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Images11
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Male Posts : 155

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/15/2012, 3:48 am

I have to say, I am in the "ice cream bucket under the sink".....emptied once a week into the composter.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 1/15/2012, 9:48 am

EatYourVeggies wrote:...

Since it got broke, this years model is pictured below, will be kept in the garage and serve to turn compost into worm castings

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Images11

I have that same countertop crock.

I've been ready to add worm composting b/c with our family of 5 we have a small wheel barrel full of fruit & veggie scraps every month. How many lbs of worms do you have? Did you put your worms in every tray? I'm wanting to manufacture that stuff as fast as possible.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Empty Worms.....Ewwwww!

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/15/2012, 10:29 am

[quote="Cincinnati"]
EatYourVeggies wrote:...

I've been ready to add worm composting b/c with our family of 5 we have a small wheel barrel full of fruit & veggie scraps every month. How many lbs of worms do you have? Did you put your worms in every tray? I'm wanting to manufacture that stuff as fast as possible.

Funny story on that actually...I ordered two pounds initially as that quantity was suggested to kick of Worm Town, getting it to a good start, but the company I ordered from double filled my order so I received 2-two pound boxes of the lil fellas.

Not certain if you've seen 4000 worms all together before, but its sort of freaky, in a "B" movie horror classic sort of way. pale I also don't recall, but seem to remember having read, fruit is fine, but vary their diet as too much fruit did something to their digestive system(?). Again, this is from memory and that's not a very relaible source anymore.

Like any topic you can imagine, there's several people who have shared their Worm Communities on Youtube and a ton of free information by searching "worm farming" or similiar on the Web. I started in the first tray as suggested and they move on their own as the food source is depleted, leaving worm pods (baby worms) behind.

Oh, and as for the extra worms I had received...lets just say my chickens didn't have a clue what to do, when that treat hit the ground Wink
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/15/2012, 1:09 pm

Hmmm...worms with upset tummies.....I don't think I want to know how you knew!

LittleGardener, I am scratching my head a bit over the question of managing my outside compost. Since I garden and compost at the restaurant, the volume of compost is too great to manually break it down into smaller pieces. The size of my garden, with this year's expansion plans, can happily use all the compost I can get. In the summer, the pile reduces in size fairly quickly, even though it still takes quite awhile to convert to useable compost. This winter, I am already full to the brim on both of my large composters. We have had very little rain or snow, so the pile isn't compacting at all.

I don't want to start throwing the scraps into the dumpster. Besides all the obvious reasons, the kitchen staff is nicely on board with composting. But if they get reminded how easy it is to throw everything in the trash without having to think about it, I am not at all sure that I would ever get them back.

Someone on this board has a very attractive compost container made out of metal fencing - does anyone here remember who and what thread so I can look it up?
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/15/2012, 1:27 pm

martha wrote: We have had very little rain or snow, so the pile isn't compacting at all. I don't want to start throwing the scraps into the dumpster. Besides all the obvious reasons, the kitchen staff is nicely on board with composting. But if they get reminded how easy it is to throw everything in the trash without having to think about it, I am not at all sure that I would ever get them back.

Someone on this board has a very attractive compost container made out of metal fencing - does anyone here remember who and what thread so I can look it up?
Martha, do you have the space to just lean pallets on each other to make a square bin, as a temp holding structure for your extra food scraps. once the weather warms some and you turn the pile, you could perhaps just encorporate all the extra.
http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2006/05/how-to-build-15-shipping-pallet.html
composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Pic14

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Empty Pallet compost bin

Post  tomperrin 1/15/2012, 1:50 pm

My new compost bin made of pallets uses Strong Ties for fasteners instead of L brackets. They come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, can be bought singly, and are generally cheaper than L brackets purchased at the box stores.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11987465@N00/6675171773/
tomperrin
tomperrin

Male Posts : 350
Location : Burlington, NJ Zone 7a (2012 version), in the hollow, surrounded by trees.

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/15/2012, 2:07 pm

Camp and Tom, because it is at the restaurant, I have to be a little sensitive to appearances, although I am not as particular as perhaps should be.
Camp, because it is at the restaurant, I have to be a little sensitive to
appearances, although I am not as particular as perhaps should be.

Because it is at the restaurant, I have to be a little sensitive to
appearances, although I am not as particular as perhaps should be.

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Compos10

there is a third small bin that is hiding behind the two visible bins.
The round bin in back contains probably about 50% useable compost. The
white showing through the vents are egg shells. The larger bin in the
foreground shows scraps dumped yesterday.

The back bin was started in summer of 2010. I don't consider 1-2 years a
bad turn-around time for taking huge hunks of food and dumping them
into a bucket. And that bin did an amazing job of shrinking. But of
course, last year we had all that snow, which both compacted the
garbage, and I'm sure prevented some scraps from making it outside!

This view is shielded from the street quite nicely by the lilac bushes
in the summer - you can see it if you know what to look for, but it
doesn't jump out like a sore thumb. And from the front, the bins are in
a slight depression at the back of the garden area, with tons of tomato
plants in front that are so much more interesting to look at, that by
the time anyone notices the compost bins, the are an editorial comment
more than an eyesore. (I think!)

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Long_v10

But I do have to figure out something to allow me to start another pile, at the same time as hopefully upgrading the view!
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/15/2012, 3:56 pm

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/15/2012, 4:03 pm

yes, thank you! Now, how do I make the food scraps look purty? Razz Razz
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/15/2012, 4:04 pm

martha wrote:yes, thank you! Now, how do I make the food scraps look purty? Razz Razz
I'm composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 27650 study study

These fella's 3 bay compost bins look pretty tidy.
http://www.permacultureinbrittany.com/

http://harlemgarden.org/category/compost/

Not glamorous http://thechickenstreet.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/04-complete.jpg

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/15/2012, 4:13 pm

How about one of these over the top of a structure. The one with the roll up side.

http://www.gardeners.com/Pest-Control-Pop-Up-Covers/VegetableGardening_Accessories,40-227RS,default,cp.html

Although, when I first read the post, I had a wicked thought about liners like these. Twisted Evil

http://www.gardeners.com/Hanging-Art-Basket/PotsPlanters_HangingPlanters,40-240,default,cp.html

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/15/2012, 4:42 pm

Coffee grounds go in the red Folger plastic cans. (I'm holding on to my metal coffee cans for dear life!)

Everything else goes in a plastic bowl. This works for us because we do most of our cooking on the weekends, and eat a lot of leftovers during the week when the bowl gets put away.

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Dscn1411
(We got snow for the first time this year!)

We have one of the chrome cans with the filter in the lid; it was too small for us. It's sitting in its box, waiting to be re-gifted!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 1/15/2012, 5:46 pm

True confession time. I don't have one. My kitchen is on the second floor and I built the compost pile directly under the kitchen window. I chop, chop, chop, open the window and dump. Laughing
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/15/2012, 6:03 pm

Mamachibi wrote:True confession time. I don't have one. My kitchen is on the second floor and I built the compost pile directly under the kitchen window. I chop, chop, chop, open the window and dump. Laughing
Perfect! What a Face

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/15/2012, 7:33 pm

Camp,
Have a look here for a " real composter " .

http://www.smartsoil.co.uk/jk5100.htm

It can do around 120 pounds of stuff a day

There is a smaller motorised one for schools and small restaurants .

There must be similar on your side of the pond or get someone to make one for you .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  EatYourVeggies 1/15/2012, 8:12 pm

Mamachibi wrote:True confession time. I don't have one. My kitchen is on the second floor and I built the compost pile directly under the kitchen window. I chop, chop, chop, open the window and dump. Laughing

That's sort of funny...the leaves this year were a bit overwhelming, so I let them fall until it seemed they were done, and prior to trying to conquer them (yeah, right).

Finally raking them from the front yard, and into a pile with the ones in the back, I put them into 90 gallon containers for pick-up. Well, I just have the containers and not the service, so next was to run them through the shredder and even now, they would still fill the better part of three huge containers. That is, if they weren't still piled on a tarp in my back yard from a month ago. Shocked

But looking at them out of my kitchen window, I was thinking....why couldn't I do the same with the rest of the compost through out the year, giving it a head start, speeding up the process of normal deterioration or for Vermicomposting? Might be time to start another thread soon. Very Happy
EatYourVeggies
EatYourVeggies

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 1/15/2012, 9:43 pm

I LOVE IT!!!

Re: Plantoid's composter.....

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Greenwnvy

(courtesy of Camprn!)
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2012, 7:03 pm

composter - Show us your kitchen compost container - Page 2 Dsc_0011

Mike's hard lemonade, an excellent source of vodka
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  wncsohn 1/17/2012, 9:30 pm

Two Red Folger's coffee cans, here! Ours gets emptied about every other day, unlessI cook a very large meal, then it gets emptied the same day. Although since we're not home often, we don't really produce enough to feed the compost pile well enough.

Just a couple days ago DH built me a compost pile enclosure! No more wire mesh zip tied together! cheers Now my boys (the two youngest) can get the rototiller there now and mix it up easier!
wncsohn
wncsohn

Female Posts : 98

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next