Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Toplef10gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 I22gcj10gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Toplef10gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 I22gcj10gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

+58
MrBooker
OhioGardener
countrynaturals
hammock gal
littlejo
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
Suzy
sanderson
Marc Iverson
Escaped Lunatic
Scorpio Rising
yolos
lyndeeloo
AtlantaMarie
Elizabeth
No_Such_Reality
iiiigardener
Lillyz
donnainzone5
JeanneRamick
CapeCoddess
squaredeal
GWN
memart1
rowena___.
Nonna.PapaVino
CCgirl75
sherryeo
gwennifer
shannon1
plantoid
Lavender Debs
staf74
Mamachibi
Kelejan
TN_GARDENER
Goosegirl
walshevak
martha
llama momma
southern gardener
ashort
BackyardBirdGardner
boffer
RoOsTeR
Luci Dawson
Odd Duck
Furbalsmom
camprn
Old Hippie
milaneyjane
acara
Squat_Johnson
SFG in Chicago
Megan
ander217
sfg4uKim
62 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Empty What's your favorite kitchen gadget?

Post  Luci Dawson 12/9/2011, 7:00 pm

Works great for de-seeding small peppers-large peppers-cucumbers, and for removing tomato stems and hulling strawberries.
gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Pictur17
Got several as stocking stuffers a couple of years ago at WalMart, but they haven't carried it in a while. But it's available at Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/84esdyc
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

Post  RoOsTeR 12/9/2011, 7:03 pm

Do small appliances count? Very Happy
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?

Post  boffer 12/9/2011, 7:05 pm

My wife.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 12/9/2011, 7:23 pm

Mwahahaha rofl Oh wait... Shocked

I love my keurig!
gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 IMG_20110619_170444
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/9/2011, 7:35 pm

Back at ya "Mwahahaha.. Oh...wait"...even with a picture, I don't know what you're talking about! Embarassed

I had to google, so now I know, it's some kind of single serving coffee maker?

Truth is, my favorite gadgets are the 6 qt. 575 watt KitchenAid mixers that I've bought my wife. Cause every time she uses them, her eyes glaze over and her voice slows and deepens when she proclaims, "More Power".

It's our joke, and we both practically fall to the floor laughing!

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/9/2011, 7:43 pm

My knives and my moka and then the bread machine and then the kitchen aide.

Last edited by camprn on 12/9/2011, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/9/2011, 7:46 pm

boffer wrote:Back at ya "Mwahahaha.. Oh...wait"...even with a picture, I don't know what you're talking about! Embarassed

I had to google, so now I know, it's some kind of single serving coffee maker?

Truth is, my favorite gadgets are the 6 qt. 575 watt KitchenAid mixers that I've bought my wife. Cause every time she uses them, her eyes glaze over and her voice slows and deepens when she proclaims, "More Power".

It's our joke, and we both practically fall to the floor laughing!

AWESOME!

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/9/2011, 7:51 pm

boffer wrote:My wife.

OMG I couldn't ever say that...lol. Not that it shocks me out of you. Just ticked I didn't come up with it first.

Mine would have to be the whisk...bar none.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 12/9/2011, 8:50 pm

immersion blender...
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 12/9/2011, 9:11 pm

Ours is our Vita-Mix. We whiz up stuff everyday in it! We pick greens from the garden, fruit and whip up a smoothie!! yummm!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2011, 9:18 pm

Twenty years ago this goofy contraption was given to me from my Father who loved garage sales. I didn't appreciate it back then but now it serves me well as The Finest adjustable jar lid opener! My arthritic hand cannot do what this thing does with ease. This is my favorite kitchen gadget. Although he has passed, Thank you Dad!
gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Kitche10
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/9/2011, 9:26 pm

llama momma wrote:Twenty years ago this goofy contraption was given to me from my Father who loved garage sales. I didn't appreciate it back then but now it serves me well as The Finest adjustable jar lid opener! My arthritic hand cannot do what this thing does with ease. This is my favorite kitchen gadget. Although he has passed, Thank you Dad!

COOL! I thought we had tried every jar opening gizmo there was, but I have never seen one like that. It's so old that it's gotta be good!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 12/9/2011, 9:33 pm

I can't decide which is my favorite - the coffee maker gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 34617 or a turkey baster - I use one to water my African violets, which don't like getting their leaves wet!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2011, 9:50 pm

COOL! I thought we had tried every jar opening gizmo there was, but I have never seen one like that. It's so old that it's gotta be good!

Boffer I agree! Glad you liked it. Twenty years ago it looked weird and old to me. When Dad proudly handed it to me I didn't know what it was and he had a good laugh over that. Those six round things are rivets and it's got some good weight for its 9" length, 7-1/4 oz. Under 4 of the rivets are 4 half moon ragged edge things that wiggle and adjust to grab putting dents into any jar lid. At one end it is embossed with Taiwan S.T.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 12/9/2011, 10:04 pm

Ain't leverage a beautiful thing?
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2011, 10:15 pm

yes indeed
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 12/9/2011, 10:17 pm

I have to agree, that is a really cool gadget llama. I have never seen anything like it. Nothing worse than trying to open a jar and finally breaking the seal and having pickle juice fly out all over Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2011, 10:36 pm

.Rooster-- if your luck runs like mine, you realize you are home alone, have run out of paper towels and 20 minutes late for an important appointment, and there's stinky juice that managed to splash 13 feet in all directions, oops, looks like I turned this into a brand new
40 word story of yours rofl rofl rofl
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/10/2011, 4:07 am

llama momma wrote:Twenty years ago this goofy contraption was given to me from my Father who loved garage sales. I didn't appreciate it back then but now it serves me well as The Finest adjustable jar lid opener! My arthritic hand cannot do what this thing does with ease. This is my favorite kitchen gadget. Although he has passed, Thank you Dad!
I'm getting to where one of these would be very handy.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/10/2011, 5:13 am

inherited one from my mother. she called it a gilhoolie. used it just last night.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/10/2011, 6:00 am

YOU ARE RIGHT !! I just googled it and it had a picture of the same exact thing I posted!! Thank You SO MUCH !!

GilhoolieFrom Wikipedia:

"The Gilhoolie jar opener invented by Dr. C. W. FullerThe Gilhoolie is a kitchen appliance that opens jars and bottles. It was invented by Dr. C. W. Fuller, a retired dentist from Yonkers, New York. The Gilhoolie debuted in 1953. It was patented in 1954 as a "cam operated sliding jaw closure remover".[1]"

I'll be darned!! I grew up on Long Island and moved away, Dad stayed there 82 years so that's how he got his hands on one of these things. I thought at first the crazy thing looked like a piece of medical equiptment too, and darned it was in fact invented by a dentist.

llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/10/2011, 6:25 am

llama momma wrote: I thought at first the crazy thing looked like a piece of medical equiptment too, and darned it was in fact invented by a dentist.
gadget - What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget? - Page 2 Toothless-toothless-tooth-teeth-smiley-emoticon-000666-large

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/10/2011, 7:51 am

Lucy: Apologies to you for running away with your thread topic, got caught up and well, Sorry! Shocked Embarassed LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/10/2011, 9:08 am

camprn wrote:
I'm getting to where one of these would be very handy.

+1 (blasted old knuckles!)

However, since Hubby kindly opens everything that I can't, I would have to say my favorite kitchen gadget is my 12 cup KitchenAid food processor. To quote the Boffer Family "More power". It truly has proved to be an arthritic's best friend!
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 12/10/2011, 2:06 pm

tater masher probably gets used the most, unless you count a can opener as a gadget (at one point in time, they did)
bottle opener & corkscrew Very Happy

Regarding the opening of jars:
1. break the seal (i use a bottle opener, but a spoon works well)
2. strap wrench (lots of mechanics use them to remove oil filters and plumbers use them to tighten pipes)
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next