Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? Toplef10ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? I22gcj10ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? Toplef10ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? I22gcj10ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:02 pm

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Today at 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Yesterday at 11:23 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are scallions just young onions?

+3
shannon1
Kelejan
JustMe
7 posters

Go down

ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? Empty Are scallions just young onions?

Post  JustMe 8/5/2011, 12:01 am

Are scallions/green onions just 'baby' onions or are they two different plants?
JustMe

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? Empty Re: Are scallions just young onions?

Post  Kelejan 8/5/2011, 12:28 am

I think they are different.
Speaking from wisdom of having a packet and not yet planted them.
Oops, just remembered they are shallots, not scallions. Sorry. :scratch:
Still learning.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? Empty Re: Are scallions just young onions?

Post  shannon1 8/5/2011, 3:02 am

JustMe wrote:Are scallions/green onions just 'baby' onions or are they two different plants?
Yep just baby onions. Some grow bunching onions just for scallions but even they will make bulbs under the right conditions.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  JustMe 8/6/2011, 7:59 pm

Yay. I picked up some onion seeds while on vacation this summer, hoping to plant them next year. Green onions were on the 'to grow' list as well, so hopefully the seeds will grow into green onions then regular onions.
JustMe

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/6/2011, 11:05 pm

Well, far be it from me to argue with those who have gardened far longer than I, but one of the few things I've grown in containers pre-SFG are scallions. And my scallions, grown from basic scallion seeds bought at the store, have never turned into full-blown onions. Even the ones I've let come back a second year have never created real serious bulbs. They've always remained small little things that still look like what I'd buy in the grocery store, were I buying scallions.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/7/2011, 10:05 pm

moswell wrote:Well, far be it from me to argue with those who have gardened far longer than I, but one of the few things I've grown in containers pre-SFG are scallions. And my scallions, grown from basic scallion seeds bought at the store, have never turned into full-blown onions. Even the ones I've let come back a second year have never created real serious bulbs. They've always remained small little things that still look like what I'd buy in the grocery store, were I buying scallions.
+1 Scallions are a type of onion, but they do not bulb very much at all.
List of types of onions

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/7/2011, 11:54 pm

My peeps I sware green onions are just young onions. But don't take my word for it.

Here is some info about the subject from a gardening web site.

Scallions, green onions, and spring onions

green onions, onions

ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? Image_thumb4 For the purists a scallion is technically slightly less mature than a green onions. No matter what you call them this is a very versatile version of the conventional mature bulb version of the vegetable and shouldn’t be overlooked in your garden.

You can learn more at their web site http://www.cheapvegetablegardener.com

In fact I grow mine from sets and not seeds and they are ready in 2-3 weeks (I do pick them very sm.)
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/8/2011, 12:44 am

After thinking about it I have found the root of the confustion.ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 889526 (I kill Myself) It's multiplier onions. These onions make sm. bublets if any at all. There are a few different kinds but can be devided into 2 main groups bunching and top setting. They are grown as green onions for the most part.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 8/8/2011, 11:02 am

shannon1 wrote:After thinking about it I have found the root of the confustion.ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 889526 (I kill Myself) It's multiplier onions. These onions make sm. bublets if any at all. There are a few different kinds but can be devided into 2 main groups bunching and top setting. They are grown as green onions for the most part.

Sounds like there are so many different names and ideas behind what a scallion is it's impossible to keep it straight! Very Happy
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 8/8/2011, 11:52 am

[quote=“moswell”]
Sounds like there are so many different names and ideas behind what a scallion is it's impossible to keep it straight! Very Happy[/quote]

I was going to suggest exactly that point earlier glad someone else sees it like that.

From Wiki
Scallions (also known as green onions, spring onions, salad onions, green shallots, onion sticks, or syboes), are the edible plants of various Allium species, all of which are "onion-like", having hollow green leaves and lacking a fully developed root bulb.

Other pictures from a google show everything from slim greens to nearly 1” bulbs.

So the bottom line may be anything from near seedlings to whatever you choose not well developed to be.
Welsh onions seems to be one fairly universal type
I see my ability to hack up a quote needs improvement.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpen 8/8/2011, 6:08 pm

i was planning on commenting but look like subject has been covered.
jcpen

Male Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/9/2011, 2:28 am

moswell wrote:
shannon1 wrote:After thinking about it I have found the root of the confustion.ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 889526 (I kill Myself) It's multiplier onions. These onions make sm. bublets if any at all. There are a few different kinds but can be devided into 2 main groups bunching and top setting. They are grown as green onions for the most part.

Sounds like there are so many different names and ideas behind what a scallion is it's impossible to keep it straight! Very Happy
ONIONS - Are scallions just young onions? 68739 You are soooooo right.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down