Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central IL Toplef10Hello from Central IL 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central IL I22gcj10Hello from Central IL 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central IL Toplef10Hello from Central IL 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central IL I22gcj10Hello from Central IL 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Central IL

+2
nancy
UnderTheBlackWalnut
6 posters

Go down

Hello from Central IL Empty Hello from Central IL

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/18/2011, 4:02 pm

Hello!

I'm new to SFG (sorta). Wink I actually had Mel's first book MANY years ago when I first bought my house and always wanted to try it, but life circumstances were usually in the way. Now, I am in a position to try SFG again, and the first thing I did was run out and buy his new book and read it cover to cover! Smile

I've been "lurking" in the forums and enjoying getting to know so many of you. I read BBGs welcome to his region and wondered if he knew about black walnut toxicity as black walnuts are very common in this part of the midwest. I've learned because the HUGE tree with tons of character in the middle of my backyard makes growing tomatoes, peppers and other juglone-sensitive veggies an interesting endeavor. So using the SFG method means placing veggies in a small space as far away as possible and growing them in MM where they will have even less contact with that nasty juglone from my big old tree.

I was quite content to stay behind the scenes and view as a guest until I saw a poster from LaFayette who was in an old neighborhood with mature trees and I thought maybe I ought to post for her to watch her tomatoes if she is putting them under a black walnut. I just HAD to get a username so I could post some extension office links on black walnut toxicity for her! BBG is laughing because it's that "we women put others ahead" syndrome again. Smile So my shyness is overcome by my desire to not allow someone else's tomatoes to go yellow and wilt for no apparent reason only to learn later about what is commonly called "black walnut wilt". Smile

Right now I have 2 2x4 boxes and the hubby is going to work on another 2x4 and 1 4x4. I'm keeping my boxes small because of the shade and dripline of my tree so I can more easily move them around. They have plywood bottoms and I'm going to experiment with different placements. I'm in the throes of the hunt for MM - I've filled two boxes but not sure if I have good enough compost sources and I cheated and bought the small bags of verm. I'm going out to hunt for better compost (don't dare compost myself yet because of the possibility of getting juglone material into the compost).

I do have one question about the verm. I saw the database recommends getting verm from Menards insulation dept. This says it contains trace amounts of quartz which can be carcinogenic to humans. After writing the company, they claim that it's the same verm that's used in greenhouses and can be used safely in the garden, so WHEW! I know where to get that now...so it's on to a search for fine things such as earthworm castings and chicken manure....yippee...

My big BW tree is just now starting to show some tiny leaves...so we'll see what the shade does as the season moves on. My thumb has never been very green and I'm new to most of this, but I'm taking it little by little and am going to just see what happens. Everyone here seems so helpful and knowledgeable, that I just couldn't help but join the forum. Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central IL Empty Re: Hello from Central IL

Post  nancy 4/18/2011, 4:12 pm

Welcome Welcome!!

Hello from Central IL 396615

You are in a great place for information sharing - we're glad you decided to speak up!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/18/2011, 5:27 pm

Absolutely glad to have you here!! A big welcome from me!

You can likely tell by my huge welcome that I know very little of BW Toxicity. I would love to learn more. When you get acclimated, please feel free to start a topic of your own and what you know. That would be a very welcome addition to our region. Shyness, spelling, and grammar need not apply. The information sounds more important.

Yes, you are right.....I was laughing as I read that....then you nailed me on top of it. Too funny. You'll likely fit right in.

The only thing I can relate to from what you describe is Oak trees. Those acorns can do similar stuff to soils. But, from my knowledge, it's the acidity from the acorns piling up. As a lawn jockey, I have enough trouble getting grass to grow near oaks....much less under them. I couldn't even identify a BW tree, to be honest. So, a pic or two would really help, as well. I likely get them confused with Hickory trees.

Glad you came out of hiding. As you've read, I won't claim to be an expert in every area.....although my ego wants me to. I would love to have some knowledgeable help in our area from anyone and everyone. It's the only way we can make our region's forum, and the general one, better and better as time passes.

I hope you get active. It sounds like you can add to all of our knowledge bases. I hope your shyness completely disappears. Welcome again!!

ps.....where in central IL? Springfield-ish??
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/18/2011, 6:15 pm

Thanks so much for the welcome BBG and nancy! Smile BBG, you must have mistaken me for someone who knows something. Smile Yep, I'm from Springfield (never really left) and I come from parents who grilled outdoors and took the food inside to eat it (because they didn't like being outside), so I'm still very inexperienced in everything but sticking stuff in my yard under my tree and trying to figure out how to get it to grow. thinking

I am excited to try a small SFG as I'm attempting to learn while also updating a 1912 house, taking care of more dogs/cats than is sane, and working FT for an online school. I don't know anyone else here who has ever SFG'd, so I really appreciate you all being there as I'm sure I will have questions. When I get a sec, I'll try to start a topic in the regional forum about black walnut toxicity and put some of the links I've found for it there as well as some pics. Thanks so much for the welcome! Smile
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/18/2011, 6:18 pm

glad you\'re here glad you\'re here glad you\'re here

Glad to have ya!

Ugh, black walnut trees are the bane of a gardeners existence, but luckily Mel has come to the rescue with a method that will work even with your BW trees!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/22/2011, 2:59 pm

Hello from Central IL 654548
UnderTheBlackWalnut wrote:Right now I have 2 2x4 boxes and the hubby is going to work on another 2x4 and 1 4x4. I'm keeping my boxes small because of the shade and dripline of my tree so I can more easily move them around. They have plywood bottoms and I'm going to experiment with different placements. I'm in the throes of the hunt for MM - I've filled two boxes but not sure if I have good enough compost sources and I cheated and bought the small bags of verm. I'm going out to hunt for better compost (don't dare compost myself yet because of the possibility of getting juglone material into the compost).

I do have one question about the verm. I saw the database recommends getting verm from Menards insulation dept. This says it contains trace amounts of quartz which can be carcinogenic to humans. After writing the company, they claim that it's the same verm that's used in greenhouses and can be used safely in the garden, so WHEW! I know where to get that now...so it's on to a search for fine things such as earthworm castings and chicken manure....yippee...

My big BW tree is just now starting to show some tiny leaves...so we'll see what the shade does as the season moves on. My thumb has never been very green and I'm new to most of this, but I'm taking it little by little and am going to just see what happens. Everyone here seems so helpful and knowledgeable, that I just couldn't help but join the forum
So glad you joined us UnderTheBlackWalnut. It certainly is nice to have someone with your knowledge on a subject that could just sneak up on those of us who are not familiar with the damage the natural chemicals in a black walnut can do to your garden.

Three 2X4's and one 4X4 is a good start, and with your concern about shade, you will be able to move those 2X4's if it becomes necessary in order to take advantage of the areas with sufficient sun. I have table top gardens so am familiar with using bottoms on the boxes.

Once you find those five sources of good compost and your peat moss, you will be off and running. You will find the larger bags of vermiculite are so much less expensive to use than the little bags.

Please keep us posted on your progress and share pictures.

Again, Welcome, and no more lurking Laughing
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/22/2011, 3:20 pm

Thanks so much Furbalsmom Smile -

I HAVE to share this because it does show the word is getting out. sunny My husband went to a Dr. appt. today and overheard that Dr. was going on vacation. When asked about his vacation, the Dr. responded he was taking a week off but staying at home to start/build an SFG!!!!! Can you even believe it? Smile I told hubby that I hoped he made sure Dr. had the book and knew about the forum. He told me that Dr. had found his wood at some construction sites in his neighborhood, so that sounds like he's reading ANSFG. Smile So the excitement spreads!
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/22/2011, 3:26 pm

Wonderful to hear. ANSFG is certainly spreading.

Maybe the Dr. needs our forum adress too! Laughing
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  ilvalleygal 4/29/2011, 11:29 am

Just wanted to say howdy from up north by Starved Rock State Park. We're surrounded by black walnuts too but I've managed to avoid problems by never planting my tomatoes in the same place from year to year. Well, this year I've run out of places for toms. The neighbor took out one tree so maybe SFG+MM will equal tomato success this year?
ilvalleygal

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/29/2011, 9:02 pm

Hi ilvalleygal!

It's nice to meet you. I understand about not knowing where to put the toms. BWs don't like peppers much either - two of the most commonly grown things around these parts. Smile

This time I'm going to try to go into the front yard area with the tomatoes and peppers (we'll see what the neighbors say) Smile -

Starved Rock is a BEAUTIFUL area! Thanks for the welcome! thanks
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/30/2011, 1:07 pm

ilvalleygal wrote:Just wanted to say howdy from up north by Starved Rock State Park. We're surrounded by black walnuts too but I've managed to avoid problems by never planting my tomatoes in the same place from year to year. Well, this year I've run out of places for toms. The neighbor took out one tree so maybe SFG+MM will equal tomato success this year?

Hello from Central IL 654548 ilvalleygal Hello from Central IL 654548

So glad you joined us. Great people here, who try to help when they can.

Since you have been changing places for your tomatoes from year to year, can you go back to the first spot now? It is also good to have that additional area freed up by the neighbor's tree removal.

Have you tried bottoms on your SFG boxes so the BW toxins don't effect ( maybe it should be affect, I never know which to use) your MM? Then the boxes can be raised with just a brick under each corner and in the middle.

Again, Welcome and please keep us updated on your progress.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down