Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
wood chip mulch as compost? Toplef10wood chip mulch as compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

wood chip mulch as compost? I22gcj10wood chip mulch as compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
wood chip mulch as compost? Toplef10wood chip mulch as compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

wood chip mulch as compost? I22gcj10wood chip mulch as compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Yesterday at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz 5/10/2024, 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

wood chip mulch as compost?

5 posters

Go down

wood chip mulch as compost? Empty wood chip mulch as compost?

Post  gingeandhales 3/30/2011, 6:50 pm

I live on a school campus and right near my apartment there are huge piles of wood chips that we use for mulch. I noticed that some of the older piles have broken down into a compost-looking pile. Is this type of compost nutritious enough to consider 1/5 of my compost, or is it more of a filler type of compost? If I can use it (with permission from the maintenance crew of course), then I will be doing the happy dance because that will save me some $$ and time.

We also have some piles of horse manure, the newest delivery still looks fresh from the horse, but an older pile looks like compost. How can I know for sure if it is ready for a veggie garden?

And third question, is with the piles of leaves that has decomposed. I am worried about using this because I am afraid of weeds and raccoon droppings. These piles are located a little bit deeper in the woods then the wood chips and manure so I am sure more animals and invasive seeds have access to it. I'm sure it is safe for landscaping purposes, but what about for veggies?

If these three sources work out than I will be less apprehensive about spending the $$ to buy a ton of vermiculite in ridiculously small packages (which seems to be all that is carried in my neck of the woods).
gingeandhales

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

wood chip mulch as compost? Empty Re: wood chip mulch as compost?

Post  Odd Duck 3/31/2011, 12:50 pm

I would use all 3 of these resources, but would probably supplement them a little. Since each is truly a single source and were not mixed (the best compost is made when these types of ingredients are mixed, then composted), you might consider putting some good, organic fertilizer into the mix. There appear to be interactions among the "brown" (wood shavings) and "green" (manure) ingredients that make the final compost even better than each alone. You will get there when you mix them together, but it might take longer to see the full effect. You also have higher risk of weed seeds when the browns and greens weren't mixed, because you don't get the same heat that kills the weeds and pathogens. If your manure's been aging long enough - has no recognizable bits, no manure odor, etc, (one source says at least 18 months), it's ready. Wood chips and leaves should be ready when they don't look like wood chips or leaves anymore. If you can fill in your 5 compost list with a really good quality commercial blend that has a good variety of ingredients listed, I'd think you're ready.

Also, the vermiculite (and peat) is far less important than variety in your compost sources. The vermiculite (and peat) is for moisture and texture, not nutrients. Remember, Mel recommends straight compost when vermiculite and peat aren't available. If you had all 3 of these compost sources (plus 2 more), you would have pretty good texture and moisture retention right away without any peat or vermiculite. I have no peat or vermiculite in my beds other than what has worked itself in from seed starting mixes or from composting leftover potting soil.
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 12:59 pm

Check the vermiculite database here and see if there is a company that can ship it to you for a reasonable price, you may save more on shipping than buying smaller bags. Just a thought.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f30-vermiculite-information

oops here's the other link.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkxGrCEb40U2dExrM09fbk9zWnE4cC1Gb2oyamVOMVE&hl=en#gid=0

Last edited by FarmerValerie on 3/31/2011, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot a link)
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 3/31/2011, 1:16 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:Check the vermiculite database here and see if there is a company that can ship it to you for a reasonable price, you may save more on shipping than buying smaller bags. Just a thought.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f30-vermiculite-information

oops here's the other link.
[url=http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkxGrCEb40U2dExrM09fbk9zWnE4cC1Gb2oyamVOMVE&hl=en#gid=0
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkxGrCEb40U2dExrM09fbk9zWnE4cC1Gb2oyamVOMVE&hl=en#gid=0[/quote[/url]]

My guess is shipping will be expensive through traditional means. It is not that the stuff weighs much, but there are volumetric aspects to shipping costs. The most cost effective way would be freight on a semi, but you are going to have buy a pallet full for it make any sense... Maybe there are others in your area that could split the cost up. Check to see if there are any hydroponic growers in your area, lots of them use vermi....
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 1:19 pm

Pool companies are a good source too. Check your local garden centers, they may order for you, or have a list of names of people who want to "go in together" on a pallet.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gingeandhales 3/31/2011, 8:46 pm

Thank you for all of your responses. I found a place that sells the vermiculite in the 4 cubic foot bags out by my parent's house. I will head out there this weekend and look for additional types of composts to add to what I have handy. This is all coming together!
gingeandhales

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/1/2011, 6:11 am

gingeandhales wrote:Thank you for all of your responses. I found a place that sells the vermiculite in the 4 cubic foot bags out by my parent's house. I will head out there this weekend and look for additional types of composts to add to what I have handy. This is all coming together!

Gingeanhales:

So glad your gardening is coming together. When you have blended compost no supplements are needed. I know that gardeners are a tinkering lot and like to try this and try that, but, for your first year in a SFG stick to the recipe that Mel developed. You will find that it will work for you. Mel spent many, many years developing the formula and found that 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 compost works without the expense of this supplement or that. Mel's Mix works and it works the world over.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down