Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Toplef10Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. I22gcj10Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Toplef10Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. I22gcj10Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Today at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planted store bought Garlic last fall.

+3
jimmy cee
markqz
MrBooker
7 posters

Go down

Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Empty Planted store bought Garlic last fall.

Post  MrBooker Wed May 05, 2021 12:14 pm

About the 1st of November last fall, I planted some store bought Elephant Garlic and regular garlic and covered them with mulched leaves. They actually started sprouting up through the leaves by the end of the month. I added another huge layer of leaves and they wintered over.

First thing this spring, they all started coming up. Some folks say you can't plant store bought Garlic.............   You can..
Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Garlic11
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

plantoid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Empty Re: Planted store bought Garlic last fall.

Post  markqz Wed May 05, 2021 1:03 pm

By "store bought", do you mean "grocery store" ? That's a pretty cool idea. My daughter has actually been asking about that. I wonder if it's too late ... might be worth a try.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Empty Re: Planted store bought Garlic last fall.

Post  MrBooker Wed May 05, 2021 6:01 pm

markqz wrote:By "store bought", do you mean "grocery store" ? That's a pretty cool idea. My daughter has actually been asking about that. I wonder if it's too late ... might be worth a try.
Yes... I mean like Wal-Mart grocery store Garlic. Yes.... It's too late now. Always plant garlic AFTER Halloween and let it winter over. It will come up in early spring. I always mulch mine in the fall.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee Wed May 05, 2021 10:46 pm

Garlic needs to be planted in fall because as it begins to grow garlic needs to feel cold coming on.
There are many plants ( seeds ) that react similar. They must freeze before germination takes place.
Garlic will grow without this , however It will never attain quality is should.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz Wed May 05, 2021 11:33 pm

jimmy cee wrote:Garlic needs to be planted in fall because as it begins to grow garlic needs to feel cold coming on.
There are many plants ( seeds ) that react similar. They must freeze before germination takes place.
How long? Could I put them in the freezer for a week?
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Thu May 06, 2021 12:16 am

MrBookerAbout the 1st of November last fall, I planted some store bought Elephant Garlic and regular garlic and covered them with mulched leaves. They actually started sprouting up through the leaves by the end of the month. I added another huge layer of leaves and they wintered over.

First thing this spring, they all started coming up. Some folks say you can't plant store bought Garlic.............   You can..
Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Garlic11

I too frequently use store purchased garlic ..usually the hard neck stuff.      They do like warm unshaded dryish beds to grow in , found If I can get a tinge of green shoot on the cloves   Green obtained by putting the broken off clove in warm dark airing cupboard for a week or so , they  take off like greyhounds if you plant them so the tip is an inch below the surface . . 

I'm currently experimenting to see what level of shade they can handle as I have six off 9 sq ft partially shaded beds , four of which are in  heavy shade from the shadow of the bungalow roof & close proximity to the walls. 

I plant it in Autumn & spring .. Stratifying cold / frosts are not needed but may help them waken up & get growing  .
Experimentation by way of comparison growing in teh offing  for me ? 
 I'd purchased three or four times from a seed merchant ..never found any noticeable difference.  The elephant garlic is not a true garlic apparently
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Ditchdave likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker Thu May 06, 2021 7:08 am

"The elephant garlic is not a true garlic apparently"  TRUE: I read on the internet that Elephant garlic is actually in the "leek" family.  It gets sweet like an Onion when cooked or grilled. I love it grilled with a little Apple smoked flavor.
MrBooker
MrBooker

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu May 06, 2021 1:46 pm

markqz wrote:. . . Could I put them in the freezer for a week?
No!

Being in California, I plant cloves from store-bought soft neck garlic around Oct 1. I was told, but never tried, planting them March 1 in the Valley.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee Thu May 06, 2021 10:03 pm

markqz wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:Garlic needs to be planted in fall because as it begins to grow garlic needs to feel cold coming on.
How long? Could I put them in the freezer for a week?
This I cannot answer, however I see no advantage for there will be no root growth in freezer.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Dug my store bought Elephant Garlic (Wal-Mart) today and was pretty surprised. I planted one head of of the Elephant garlic (5 cloves) and got 5 nice heads of garlic. Looks like I gave them too much water. The cloves a starting to separate.
Garlic - Planted store bought Garlic last fall. Garlic12
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:27 am

I accidentally bought some elephant garlic one time - WOW it was huge. 1 clove was plenty.

I should plant some more garlic in the fall because it does not require me to do much.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:19 pm

ralitaco wrote:I accidentally bought some elephant garlic one time - WOW it was huge. 1 clove was plenty.

I should plant some more garlic in the fall because it does not require me to do much.
I planted mine after Halloween and it still sprouted up about 3 or 4 inches before the freeze came. I put a thick, THICK layer of mulch on it and it came on strong in early spring.

I have planted regular store bought garlic before and it has always done great. A few years ago I spent about $50 on seed garlic and it did no better than wal-mart grocery store bought garlic.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:16 pm

MrBooker wrote:I have planted regular store bought garlic before and it has always done great. A few years ago I spent about $50 on seed garlic and it did no better than wal-mart grocery store bought garlic.

Wow!!! $50
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:21 pm

ralitaco wrote:
MrBooker wrote:I have planted regular store bought garlic before and it has always done great. A few years ago I spent about $50 on seed garlic and it did no better than wal-mart grocery store bought garlic.

Wow!!! $50
That's true. I think I got maybe 4 heads of "seed' Garlic for about $50. Bummer. Never again. I buy mine at wal-Mart.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:00 pm

I tried the supermarket version.  Not one made it.  I need hardneck.  Cold tolerant.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:02 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:I tried the supermarket version.  Not one made it.  I need hardneck.  Cold tolerant.

You're about 450 miles N/E of me so I guess hardneck would work better for you. I read somewhere that grocery stores sell softneck because it stores better and has a milder flavor than hardneck.

Gurney's charges about $9.00 per bulb of garlic. Wal-Mart charges .49 cents per bulb and it grows well, at least for me. Good luck.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down