Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Toplef10leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  I22gcj10leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Toplef10leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  I22gcj10leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tomatoes not having growth
by fencefacts Today at 7:01 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Leaf Mold vs. Compost

+6
Kelejan
yolos
countrynaturals
landarch
sanderson
sfg4uKim
10 posters

Go down

leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Empty Leaf Mold vs. Compost

Post  sfg4uKim 8/14/2016, 3:03 pm

Thought this might be handy for everyone with Autumn creeping up on us.

You're probably familiar with Composting, but putting too many leaves in your compost pile is not a great idea.

Instead, how about making leaf mold?

Here's a great TEDx talk by Mel's friend Mike McGrath. I guarantee you'll start stealing your neighbors' leaves this year: LEAF MOLD - MIKE McGRATH TEDx TALK

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Empty Re: Leaf Mold vs. Compost

Post  sanderson 8/14/2016, 7:40 pm

Good video.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/14/2016, 11:05 pm

I've seen this before...good info.  I do my SFG near the street (front yard) because I have four large bur oak trees that shade the remainder of my lot...I bag them with my Honda quadracut mulching mower, pour them out on the lawn, and mulch again as oaks take longer to break down.  I am thinking of offer to bag my neighbor's maple leaves this year to add some variety.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/15/2016, 1:37 am

landarch wrote:I've seen this before...good info.  I do my SFG near the street (front yard) because I have four large bur oak trees that shade the remainder of my lot...I bag them with my Honda quadracut mulching mower, pour them out on the lawn, and mulch again as oaks take longer to break down.  I am thinking of offer to bag my neighbor's maple leaves this year to add some variety.
I also have oak leaves. I read that they have all the necessary minerals, but not all the nitrogen we need, so we should add manure (which I have plenty of -- horses). It also said that oak leaves are acidy, so we need to add garden lime for non-acid loving plants. We're getting a chipper/shredder, so I'm gonna try running the aged manure and whole oak leaves through and see if I can get "instant compost" out of it. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/15/2016, 7:47 am

countrynaturals wrote:
landarch wrote:I've seen this before...good info.  I do my SFG near the street (front yard) because I have four large bur oak trees that shade the remainder of my lot...I bag them with my Honda quadracut mulching mower, pour them out on the lawn, and mulch again as oaks take longer to break down.  I am thinking of offer to bag my neighbor's maple leaves this year to add some variety.
I also have oak leaves. I read that they have all the necessary minerals, but not all the nitrogen we need, so we should add manure (which I have plenty of -- horses). It also said that oak leaves are acidy, so we need to add garden lime for non-acid loving plants. We're getting a chipper/shredder, so I'm gonna try running the aged manure and whole oak leaves through and see if I can get "instant compost" out of it. Cool
I use live oak leaves and running them thru a chipper helps but they still take forever to decompose in a normal compost pile.  I tried making Leaf Mold with them but after 1 year I really couldn't tell any difference maybe except they were a darker color.  The leaves at the bottom were good enough to use as mulch.  It helped when I made sure they were moist and also turned every once in a while.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/15/2016, 11:29 am

yolos wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
I use live oak leaves and running them thru a chipper helps but they still take forever to decompose in a normal compost pile.  I tried making Leaf Mold with them but after 1 year I really couldn't tell any difference maybe except they were a darker color.  The leaves at the bottom were good enough to use as mulch.  It helped when I made sure they were moist and also turned every once in a while.
Hmm, so what I need is a giant coffee grinder? I'm sure I could find an old food processor at a yard sale, but that would be very labor intensive. We have a cement mixer, but I'm not ready for a divorce, yet. affraid There must be something I could do to pulverize these puppies. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/15/2016, 12:47 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
yolos wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
Hmm, so what I need is a giant coffee grinder? I'm sure I could find an old food processor at a yard sale, but that would be very labor intensive. We have a cement mixer, but I'm not ready for a divorce, yet. affraid There must be something I could do to pulverize these puppies. thinking
Lawn mower.  I set up a sort of corral and mowed over them a few times.  Then I got smart and used my lawn mower with a bag attachment.  I have also used one of those leaf blowers that you can convert into a leaf vacumn that sucks up the leaves and shreds them.  I have also used a string trimmer with leaves inside a garbage can.  And last but not least, a gas powered leaf shredder.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/15/2016, 2:16 pm

Lawn mower with bag is good, especially if you do it twice.  Or cheap-o chipper/shredder like Jimmy and I have.  Just remember that oak may take over a year, won't be ready for next spring, or next fall, even with horse pooh.  Water and turn occasionally and have patience.  Meanwhile, use other leaves for compost for next spring. I need a better photo of the chipper/shredder. leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Compos13

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/15/2016, 3:16 pm

I already have four neighbours lined up to give me their leaves this fall. Just in my  evening walk area that takes 15 minutes.  (I go round twice so that is 30 minutes walk each night,) I do not need to ask them, just sweep up when ready.  Most likely they will sweep up for and bag them.  I can take my shopping trolley and gather three bags full at a time whenever I feel like it. 

So far one oak tree, one maple tree and another two trees that have small leaves.  Plus my own apple, cherry and birch trees.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 8/15/2016, 6:20 pm

IT's good to make arrangements for leaves...I have a pick-up truck and can usually find bags of leaves for the taking during the fall, however you never really know what is in the bags...acorns, maple and ash seeds, sticks, dog pool, chunks of asphalt and gravel, etc.  If neighbors know you are taking them they may take more care in what they put in.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/15/2016, 6:33 pm

yolos wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
yolos wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:
Lawn mower.  I set up a sort of corral and mowed over them a few times.  Then I got smart and used my lawn mower with a bag attachment.  I have also used one of those leaf blowers that you can convert into a leaf vacumn that sucks up the leaves and shreds them.  I have also used a string trimmer with leaves inside a garbage can.  And last but not least, a gas powered leaf shredder.
I found an electric mulcher that swears I can put the leaves in and set the dial to "fine" and use immediately for compost or mulch. So, what could possibly go wrong?  Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/15/2016, 8:21 pm

rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/15/2018, 2:16 pm

great ted talk. thought I add these video. Overall I really enjoyed the Ted talk.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/15/2018, 2:52 pm

He always has fun things to say. Has anyone checked out his voodoo garden channel?

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  bluelacedredhead 9/17/2018, 11:14 am

I first came across info on Leaf Mold about 12 years ago I believe? I've been doing it ever since, in yards of the three homes we've lived in during this time.  

The only problem I have at this house is the corner where I am able to put the composter that I used for composting leaves is in a dark corner and it takes about two years for them to break down to my satisfaction. We are on a small city lot and I haven't any place else that I can move it to that it wouldn't be rotting under a neighbour's nose. So come spring, I dig them out as soon as the soil can be worked, then bury them in the garden, giving them a few weeks to let them further decompose before last frost date and planting.
bluelacedredhead
bluelacedredhead

Female Posts : 114

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/17/2018, 3:42 pm

bluelacedredhead wrote:I first came across info on Leaf Mold about 12 years ago I believe? I've been doing it ever since, in yards of the three homes we've lived in during this time.  

The only problem I have at this house is the corner where I am able to put the composter that I used for composting leaves is in a dark corner and it takes about two years for them to break down to my satisfaction. We are on a small city lot and I haven't any place else that I can move it to that it wouldn't be rotting under a neighbour's nose. So come spring, I dig them out as soon as the soil can be worked, then bury them in the garden, giving them a few weeks to let them further decompose before last frost date and planting.

Food for thought - If you layer leaves, coffee grounds, leaves, coffee grounds,......., the worms will assist in composting the leaves in a very short period of time.  We have an abundance of free coffee grounds from the local Starbucks stores, and spread the coffee grounds and filters over the leaves and then cover with more leaves. It isn't high enough pile to create hot compost, and the worms love the fertile moist conditions. Within a few months there is nothing left but a pile of leaf compost with lots of worm castings.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4552

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  bluelacedredhead 9/17/2018, 3:58 pm

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
bluelacedredhead
bluelacedredhead

Female Posts : 114

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/17/2018, 4:22 pm

thanks for the info OG. I decided to do the leaf compost in one bin and use only food scrape in the new outdoor worm bin. The worms can escape into the grow when necessary.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/7/2019, 10:13 pm

I put down a covered crop this early winter, I was slow and lazy in getting this done, but the seedling came through the leaf mulch I applied to the soil. I aerated it yesterday. I hope it makes some great leaf mold, we have been getting some good rain. don't know the seed mix been in my drawer 2 years. I used a pitch fork to areate the mulch.

leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Img_0212
leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Img_0210
[url=https://servimg.com/view/18085799/946]leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Img_0213leaf mold - Leaf Mold vs. Compost  Img_0211[/url]
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/8/2019, 2:14 am

Leaf mold!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 1/8/2019, 12:04 pm

Leaf mold and compost made from mostly leaves are two totally different things. Leaf mold is a cold process that is almost totally fungal dominated and it can take 2-3 years to make a proper leaf mold. A compost made from mostly leaves can be either a hot or a cold process and initially it is a bacterial dominated process, finished compost if made well should have a diverse microbial population, takes between 6 months and 2 years depending upon method and region. Most plants, about 70% grow better with mycorrhizae in the soil and one of the reasons why no-till works. The larger the fungal network is in your soil the more readily available plant nutrients become. Leaf mulch is leaf mulch and if it breaks down, is more of a sheet compost than a leaf mold.

I hope I am not coming off as a know-it-all, that is not my intention. Just trying to clarify what seems to me as misconceptions. It is just that I have spent the last 10-12 years studying soil health so as a Bucketeer, I would have the healthiest soil mix with which to fill my containers. I do use all three, leaf mold, compost with leaves as a major ingredient and leaves as mulch and each one is used for a different rhyme or reason.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/9/2019, 9:12 am

Thanks, very helpful.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content