Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 Toplef10Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 I22gcj10Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 Toplef10Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 I22gcj10Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?

+15
Mellen
Roseinarosecity
68carguy
Dunkinjean
llama momma
sanderson
billg52
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
donnainzone5
Scorpio Rising
CapeCoddess
yolos
bigdogrock
Ginger Blue
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 Empty Re: What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/29/2016, 8:15 pm

Honestly. There is a lot of trial and error in this endeavor!  Not just the first few years, either!  Live and learn..and take detailed notes!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 Empty Bump!

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/26/2019, 10:28 am

OK, I want to look into bulb onions; do I have to plant short day here in Ohio?  There are some pretty blush varieties out, and a red would be pretty and I like to eat red onions.  Thoughts?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Garlic - What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow? - Page 3 Empty Re: What varieties of garlic and onions do you like to grow?

Post  donnainzone5 1/26/2019, 12:02 pm

If you're above the 45th parallel, you probably should plant long-day onions.  If you're near that line, or south of it, you might want to try intermediate-day onions.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/26/2019, 1:18 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:OK, I want to look into bulb onions; do I have to plant short day here in Ohio?  There are some pretty blush varieties out, and a red would be pretty and I like to eat red onions.  Thoughts?

We need the Long-Day or Day-Neutral varieties here in Ohio, SR.

"In the North (the area north of a line drawn from San Francisco to Washington, D.C.), summer days are long. This region encompasses zone 6 and colder. If you garden in this area, grow long-day onions."

From the article, Choosing the Right Onion For You

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4518

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 1/27/2019, 9:08 am

OhioGardener, great link, Thanks. I might have gone looking for Vidalia when I should have been looking for a Walla Walla. I think I will try and grow The Wethersfield Red again this year, while trialing the He Shi Ko perennial bunching onion. I have the Egyptian Walking onion here, it is basically growing almost wild among the Stinging Nettles but will put it in a raised bed with He Shi Ko. The Wethersfield Red onion and the Connecticut Field pumpkin are heirlooms from the Connecticut River Valley and they are from the time Wethersfield was the seed capital of New England. I will be going either this week or next to get seeds at The Comstock Ferre building which has the Baker Creek line, Chas. Hart seed Co. is diagonally across the street and will be getting a few things from them also. Here the time to plant onion sets is around the time of Trout Fishing Opening Day which is in April. Taught that by a gentleman that used to plant onion sets while sitting on the back end of a tractor as they planted the sets. The money he earned as a boy would buy the fishing tackle needed for opening day.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/27/2019, 5:12 pm

OhioGardener wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:OK, I want to look into bulb onions; do I have to plant short day here in Ohio?  There are some pretty blush varieties out, and a red would be pretty and I like to eat red onions.  Thoughts?

We need the Long-Day or Day-Neutral varieties here in Ohio, SR.

"In the North (the area north of a line drawn from San Francisco to Washington, D.C.), summer days are long. This region encompasses zone 6 and colder. If you garden in this area, grow long-day onions."

From the article, Choosing the Right Onion For You
Thank you!  I will be doing some diving in on this.  Long-day just sounds warm...?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/16/2019, 9:09 pm

Gonna try Walla Walla onions.  From sets.  Stupid Pinetree makes you buy 2 bunches.  Nope!  Thanks for the help!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/17/2019, 1:19 pm

I grew Walla Walla onions for a couple years, and they were nice, sweet onions. But, they didn't keep well and had to be eaten fairly quickly.  So, I try to go with better keepers even though they aren't nearly as sweet.

The reason I prefer to raise the onions from seed is because when I grow from sets they tend to try to go to seed rather than forming nice bulbs.  That, and the fact that we use so many onions for salads and green onions - some years we have a problem leaving enough in the garden to mature into bulbs. Very Happy  I plant them really close together when transplanting them into the gardens, and then continually thin them as we pull them for green onions and for salads.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/17/2019, 8:18 pm

OhioGardener wrote:I grew Walla Walla onions for a couple years, and they were nice, sweet onions. But, they didn't keep well and had to be eaten fairly quickly.  So, I try to go with better keepers even though they aren't nearly as sweet.

The reason I prefer to raise the onions from seed is because when I grow from sets they tend to try to go to seed rather than forming nice bulbs.  That, and the fact that we use so many onions for salads and green onions - some years we have a problem leaving enough in the garden to mature into bulbs. Very Happy  I plant them really close together when transplanting them into the gardens, and then continually thin them as we pull them for green onions and for salads.
OK, good to know!  I had a terrible time with germination on my green onions...not to be put down however.  Still thinking.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 2/18/2019, 10:01 pm

I've had horrible luck with onions.  In the winter, my beds get too much shade, once summer hits, i tend to get bolting.

Then I go to the grocery store and they're 5 lbs for $1.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 2/19/2019, 7:49 am

Good thing, square foot gardening is not an economic endeavor because what I spend I could probably buy everything I grow and have a tidy some left over. I grow for the wonder, the enjoyment and the satisfaction. I also grow for the flavor. Maybe I am slightly prejudice but everything I grow taste a whole lot better than anything I have found at the supermarket and I believe slightly better than what I get from organic growers at the farmer's market because of the freshness factor which makes me 10 times the cook I really am and becoming almost a chef to some. My bottom line has nothing to do with economics but a plethora of other factors that bring me joy on so many levels. I never really tasted celery until I grew it, bursting with flavor. A just dug potato, scapes and carrots are just a few that have the flavors that become the impetus that will bring the sweat to my brow and a smile to my face as look forward to my best gardening year ever.

No_Such_Reality, you could take one of the onions from the supermarket, plant it and watch it produce seeds, onions are biennials. For less than a $1 it is worth the admission to that show.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2019, 4:59 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:. . . Thank you!  I will be doing some diving in on this.  Long-day just sounds warm...?
SR, I know it sounds backwards. Think of Alaska where summer days are almost 24 hours. That's a long day! The closer to the equator, it gets more like 12 hours on, 12 hours off, short days. It took me a bit to understand this, also. Embarassed

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 2/22/2019, 5:08 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:I've had horrible luck with onions.  In the winter, my beds get too much shade, once summer hits, i tend to get bolting.

Then I go to the grocery store and they're 5 lbs for $1.

Bolting is normally caused by planting onion sets (small bulbs) instead of starting from seed.  Onions are biennials, and sets are already 1 year old so they are starting their 2nd year as soon as they are planted.  When I plant sets they always try to bold to seed, but when I start from seed they never do.

You're right about the price of onions in the grocery store, but we grow onions mostly for the green salad onions. The ones that don't get eaten for salads are left to mature for fall harvest, but we never have enough to last the winter. 

I always plant my onion seedlings really close together - a 2" spacing - and thin them as we pull them for green onions for salads. By the time they start forming bulbs, there are only 9 or less left per square foot.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 9/5/2019, 9:18 am

There are always a lot of questions about whether to plant Long Day, Short Day, or Intermediate onions.  Johnny's Selected Seeds has a good document on the differences and options for these onions.

The Long & Short of Onion Bulb Formation

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/5/2019, 10:28 am

OhioGardener wrote:There are always a lot of questions about whether to plant Long Day, Short Day, or Intermediate onions.  Johnny's Selected Seeds has a good document on the differences and options for these onions.

The Long & Short of Onion Bulb Formation
Excellent info, but their prices are insane ($4.35 for the seeds + $4.00 shipping). Evil or Very Mad Now at least I know my latitude. thankyou

Found this one at Baker Creek with free shipping. Really sounds interesting.

Round Tropea Onion
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/5/2019, 6:35 pm

So, I ended up planting 20 Candy (Amish) onions this year, and they did great!  Nice medium (not big) sized bulbs, no hassles.  Cured, I ate one, sweet but not sugar sweet, still pungent.  I will do them again.  Got the sets from my local nursery.

Garlic, I grow German Extra Hardy (hardneck) and am trying Georgian Fire for the first time this year!  The German does very well, but our spring was so wet this year I only got 5 of the 16 that I planted they either didn’t come up or broke off to rot in the bed....

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 9/5/2019, 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had to look up garlic.)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/11/2019, 3:10 am

Grocery store soft neck garlic. Already have separated and replanted the perennial walking onions. This spring was the first time I planted Spanish yellow onion starts from HD. They were smallish but holding up great on the kitchen counter. I may try some more next spring.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3