Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Toplef10crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient I22gcj10crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Toplef10crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient I22gcj10crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient

+12
plantoid
AtlantaMarie
Mimi2
Kelejan
Ginger Blue
yolos
trolleydriver
camprn
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Scorpio Rising
has55
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Empty Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient

Post  has55 2/8/2016, 6:59 am

These are research reads, not for everyone, but good info.

Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient over the Conventional Compost & Protective Soil Conditioner against the Destructive Chemical Fertilizers for Food Safety and Security:

http://www.envirofert.co.nz/assets/international-papers/Earthworms%20Vermicompost%20-%20A%20Powerful%20Crop%20Nutrient%20Rajiv%20Sinha.pdf

Earthworms: The ‘Unheralded Soldiers of Mankind’ and ‘Farmer’s Friend’ Working Day and Night Under the Soil: Reviving the Dreams of Sir Charles Darwin for Promoting Sustainable Agriculture:

http://www.envirofert.co.nz/assets/international-papers/Earthworms%20-%20The%20Unheralded%20Soldiers%20of%20Mankind%20and%20%20Farmers%20Friend%20Dr%20Rajiv%20Sindha.pdf

Vermiculture Can Promote Sustainable Agriculture and Completely Replace Chemical Agriculture: Some Experimental Evidences by Studies on Potted and Farmed Cereal and Vegetable Crops:

http://www.envirofert.co.nz/assets/international-papers/Rajiv_Sinha_Vermiculture_Can_Promote_Sustainable_Agriculture_and_Completely_Replace.pdf

Last edited by sanderson on 2/9/2016, 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add titles to links)
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Empty Re: Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient

Post  has55 2/8/2016, 7:10 am

composting with worms in 22 days-hmm interesting
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Empty Re: Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient

Post  has55 2/8/2016, 7:18 am

Chemical nutrient analysis of different composts
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/8/2016, 7:21 am

The Benefits of Vermicompost
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/9/2016, 11:51 am

Apparently, the 1st link posting did not come out right. I was on break at work when I put this link up. Sanderson,thank you for correcting it. Your help is invaluable.  Subject: Cutting a new pathway in my Square Foot Garden Journey.

I been struggling with adding a compost pile to the garden, but couldn't settled on a method, tumbler versus pile. I finally made a decision on pile, despite having to turned the pile (work, just telling the truth) to get it to convert into rich composted material.  Then my choices for containment were between choosing straw bale wall, pallet walls or perforated plastic like the one use on "one yard revolution" youtube channel. Open pile was out, since I have to fight nutgrass.  Dreaded enemy in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area.

Then I came across the articles in the first post on vermicomposting versus conventional garden composting and chemical fertilizer nutrient outcome/results. Was very impressed. I found several articles on line,but did not want to overwhelmed everyone.  As you know, for those that been around, I am a lazy gardener and will do about anything to shorten my time working in the garden, so I can enjoy the beauty of the plants with my eyes, feel with my hands during down time or with my mouth at meal time, plus go do something else in my life.  I'm still working for a living.  The in-bed garden worm buckets have produced impressive results with the plants and I basically only have to open the lid, put the food waste in and allow the worms to do the rest. When full and everything is converted into vermicompost, I just pull the bucket out by the handle and dump into a 55 gallon garbage can to use later for fertilizing and making worm tea. I realized I can't do that practice anymore, because I was destroying worms and their cocoons, plus the microbial life  when I put them in the garbage can can for storage.

The articles above opened my eyes to this fact, plus the videos I posted from the Philippines. I will need to use a screen to sort the worm and cocoons out or put them directly into the garden beds.  The latter will most likely be the choice,keeping the cycle ongoing.

So for the next  years, I'm going to move into using straight vermicompost, using garden, kitchen and coffee, leaves, horse or cow dung,etc... In this area we basically can grow all year, if you use some techniques like cold frames, frost blankets or greenhouses in the winter and shade cloth in the summer.

The article surprised me on the the effects that cow dung had on the nutrient enrichment process. It's impressive, when compared to using straight garden compost material for worm feed. This will allow me to simply add material. then shovel it out (ouch, don't say it,"work"). The conversion is fast, as explained in the article and as I witnessed in my garden worm buckets. I having some difficulty keeping up the food supply since I have 20 buckets and will be adding 5 more. It's a learning curve.

So I will need to select a spot for a 2-4ft wide x's 8ft long x's 16" high worm bed. This will allow me to make bulk vermicompost. If successful, I will probably do away with the in-garden worm bucket. I'll probably make the walls out of cement bricks/cinder bricks or use old wood that I have laying around for the project. Then surround it with mulch.

I want to thank everyone on the forum who shared pictures of how they use mulch for their walkways. This has been extremely successful for me. the first year, saw about 30 small nut grass and Bermuda come up on the surface. I assumed they where transported in when the tree company dump their load on my property. Have not seen any more for several months. it freed up so much of my time and looks great. when it rains, it never floods or make puddles like it did in the pass. I put down 8 inches in height. Well worth it.

There is a church here that grow food on several acres for the hungry. I visited them in the past and noticed they have a small outdoor worm factory going. Will visit them for more advice.

Any suggestion or ideas is welcome. haven't come up with a name for this project yet. any ideas?Very Happy

I will keep the forum updated on my journey.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 2/9/2016, 7:17 pm

Please do keep us posted, has! And I am glad you have gone to a worm-sparing method! They are hard workers, and very underrated! tongue
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8731

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/10/2016, 11:49 am

I'm lazier than you are, neener neener neener!  I bought 1 lb of red wigglers 3 years ago or so and I have just spread them into all of my sfg beds.  I still have my worm tubes but found that because I mulch heavily for water conservation, they just eat the mulch and distribute their goodness into the soil for me.  

I have grabbed handfuls of worms from the tubes and each time I work a new in-ground garden bed toss in a handful of them there and then lay down heavy mulch and away they go.  

I look forward to reading your articles as soon as I have some time.  My main garden improvement ingredient is the fresh cow manure I am able to gather on our property.  The worms LOVE it and quickly break it down.  I usually pile a 12 inch layer mixed with the hay straw the cows didn't eat over a garden I'm resting and let it break down on the garden bed.  

I read an organic flower farm's blog last week and they've been no till now for 3 years.  One of the things they discovered worked the best was using black plastic over the weeds for 4 weeks.  The weeds were the cover crop (some times they plant cover crops).  The heat kills any seeds, the worms break down the material that dies and at the end of the 4 weeks they're ready to plant.  I'm going to give that a try on one of our hillside areas that's a real pain to weed whack and see how it works before trying on any actual garden area.

Always learning!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2016, 3:18 am

I love my little worms and am amazed how they further break down the compost and veggie/fruit scraps into fine, rich castings. The 3" worm tubes are a great way to grow them right in the beds. I have started moving the tubes around within the boxes every year to get the castings spread throughout the boxes. I also bury kitchen scraps here and there in boxes without the tubes. And, they love the horse manure in the compost. I top dress with compost in the fall, and in the spring I can just move the compost aside and there are worms everywhere!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Empty http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/huen/archana_paper.pdf

Post  has55 2/21/2016, 4:47 am

getting deeper, where the worm go

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/huen/archana_paper.pdf
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Empty Vermicompost Research Update 2009

Post  has55 2/21/2016, 4:51 am

look at the plant picture at the bottom of the page

Vermicompost Research Update 2009
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/21/2016, 9:22 am

Bump

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Empty The SFG Journey:Vermicompost from vermicomposting bucket

Post  has55 4/7/2016, 2:21 am

I didn't want to wait untill tomorrow to make my vermicomposting tea, so I harvested the vermicompost tonight from my vermicomposting bucket. 

does anyone have a easy way to separate the worms from the vermicompost? 
Tonight, I just spread it out on a flat plastic sheet to collect the worms for transfer back to the vericomposting bucket.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/7/2016, 2:51 am

Your vermicompost is a nice consistency, mine is rather wet!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/7/2016, 11:54 am

has55 wrote:does anyone have a easy way to separate the worms from the vermicompost? 

Some people use light. The worms do not like light and will move away from it.  Here is one example. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6h3N8OIQYM

Note ... I do not do vermicomposting so this is just from my own research on the Internet.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/7/2016, 12:12 pm

Tthank you trolleydriver, 
I separated the worms last night with just the room light. I'm in the that worm group, but had SFG forum on the brain when I posted. That video gave me a better understanding of what I did last night using a upside down garden seed tray cover. 
Thanks.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/7/2016, 12:17 pm

sanderson wrote:Your vermicompost is a nice consistency, mine is rather wet!  
I usually add some azomite or something dry like coffee grounds to my wet material such as carrot pulp,etc...It seems to keep the wetness down. I need to go to Bently's red worm composting site to brush up on technique.
Red Worm Composting
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Empty The SFG Journey:vermicomposting bucket and fertilization

Post  has55 4/10/2016, 3:39 am

During this SFG journey with the vermicomposting bucket, I've learned I could lift it out of the SFG bed for harvesting and to separate the cocoons and worms. Today, a light bulb thought came to me during planting of tomatoes. In the teaming with microbes book, they recommended adding compost or vermicompost to the planting hole, just like it was written in the SFG book. I have the vermicomposting buckets within the garden beds approx. every 4 ft to 6ft, depending on the length of the bed. I was able to remove the lid, reach into the bucket and voila!, place it directly in the planting hole without going for external fertilizers. I was able to transferred some worms into bed , add the mycorrhiza  fungi, Epsom and put in the tomato plant without carrying a bunch of baggage.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/21/2016, 5:52 pm

I forgot to add the pictures to the above post.crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Img_1716

crop rotation - Earthworms Vermicompost: A Powerful Crop Nutrient Img_1810
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/22/2016, 9:08 am

I'm almost to the point where all I all need to do in the garden is prepare the soil,plant, minimal to scant weeding, harvest and easy clean up. 
The vermicomposting buckets have been extremely helpful with clean up, I'm learning more and more uses for them.
Now I'm chopping the old leaves in the garden beds and adding small amount water into the vitamix , blend it , then walk out to the vermicomposting buckets to pour it in. In this liquid state the worms and able to quickly break it down and create that worm poop quickly..I'm doing this with my kitchen scrapes too. I got the idea from the "one yard revolution" channel on youtube.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/22/2016, 3:17 pm

Has, What program do you have where you can write and draw arrows on your photos? Do you have a Windows?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2016, 2:54 am

sanderson wrote:Has,  What program do you have where you can write and draw arrows on your photos?  Do you have a Windows?
No, I have a 2007 iMac in my pretend mancave. My DW keeps bringing things into it.  I use the "preview" program to annotate text, arrows, lines, color, etc... on the photos, usually right after I take a picture with my iPhone . It comes with the iMac program. It also allows me to open in "preview" any pdf files I view on the internet, then annotate or for better reading experience.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/28/2016, 11:56 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I'm lazier than you are, neener neener neener! 

Always learning!
and the fight is on. Twisted Evil Very Happy everyone's a winner if it save time, money and allow us to enjoy the results from our work.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/28/2016, 12:00 pm

ADVICE FOR VERMICOMPOSTING

also another site for compost tea material
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/29/2016, 10:43 am

One of my vermicomposting bucket went anaerobic after I put in two quart of liquid vegetables that I create by blending it in my vitamix. It was too much, not enough air. This occurred about 3 weeks ago, We kept smelling something like death, but couldn't track it down, After watching this podcast, I realized where the smell came from and how to fix it. I have to examine the bucket for worms, It has dried out and I see fungi pathways. I'm going to put this video in the microbes thread also.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/29/2016, 2:26 pm

I just got thru watching that last video.  It was Verrrrry long but had a lot of information and also went in depth explaining certain areas of making a thermal compost pile..  Good part about moisture.  Also good info about Vermicasting.  

Thanks Has55
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next