Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 2 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/7/2015, 9:58 am

lol! funny post cute!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 11/7/2015, 11:09 am

rofl rofl rofl rofl
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/7/2015, 12:22 pm

I'm so atypical - I'm running around in my flip flops in 30 degree weather and snow, LOL!  I love the cold.   Wink
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/7/2015, 1:04 pm

Me too! Much rather do chores when it doesn't make me feel like the heat is gonna get me, and anyway I find cold invigorating and love breathing in that crisp cold air.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/7/2015, 8:40 pm

Cold and sunny, good. Especially if the wind is quiet. But wet, windy....yuck!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/7/2015, 10:53 pm

I spent the morning doing more clean up in my garden.  Pulled a couple more squash plants and put them on the compost pile.  Put the mini greenhouse cover on one of my 4x4 table tops after planting seedlings in it.  I mainly have the cover to keep the grasshoppers out.  They keep decimating my seedlings.  

Greenhouse is cleaned up and ready.  I have 7 different tomato plants with 3 or 4 different kinds for winter harvest.  A couple red bell pepper plants, a couple mini bell peppers, several hot peppers, some herbs and I've planted some green beans.  It's a little late for them but they will grow in there.  

Lots of seedlings started that will go into the various greenhouse areas as they get larger.  

I love this time of year!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2015, 3:46 am

I'm getting acclimated to the cool weather now, but boy, my summer pjs and flip flops just don't cut it now. I do agree that cool/slightly cold weather is good for heavy work outside. The only thing I got done today was some pruning of the wisteria. I like the leaves in compost.

I thought we were going to Sac this weekend but the 2 rugrats came down with colds. I have some heavy dental appts and I don't need to intentionally get sick, especially the bone graft. What a Face Dstack is sending me some seeds and I'm looking forward to trying them.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/8/2015, 10:44 am

oooooooooh!  So sorry on the dental work.... ick!  I had a root canal earlier this year - so fun!  We're supposed to get down to 34 tonight.  I need to cover some of my large squash that are still growing tonight.  I'm hoping to get some late harvested spaghetti squash if I can get them past the first cold.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/8/2015, 12:00 pm

I'm going to evict my tomatoes and zucchini plants this week(weather permitting). They've lived a long and productive life, but alas, our time to part has come. The only thing I'm not too sure about is whether to trash them or compost them; I don't think my compost bin will be getting hot enough to kill off any pathogens the "carcasses" may harbor.Looks like a cold, wet winter ahead.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/8/2015, 1:40 pm

Like old food in the refrigerator, "When in doubt, throw it out."

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/8/2015, 4:38 pm

I like that, S. Thanks! More food for the landfill
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/12/2015, 2:46 am

Today was sunny and crisp, just perfect for working on the 2 compost piles.  I posted about the Berkeley pile for the Veggie beds under Compost: Bekeley 18 day [hot] method.

This is the junk pile for the flower beds.  I had some left over chicken wire and welded-wire fencing and made a medium compost cage a bit ago.  Today, I removed all the product and whip-stitched the chicken wire to the bottom of the cage with wire. I fluffed and mixed the ingredients (grass clippings, pepper plants, kitchen scraps, bedding straw mulch, leaves, horse poo and Starbuck's) because the bottom mixture was too wet and slightly septic and the top was too dry. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Compos13
Everything is back in and will just do its thing over winter.  There were quite a few worms in the bottom material (and grubs the size of my pinkie) and the cardboard floor was gone! California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Compos14

I'm showing this for any beginner who wants to compost but keep things corralled. You can be creative using different materials to create embarrassing looking cages! Razz

Ibu is calling. . .

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/12/2015, 11:12 am

This week I've amended a 4'X4' bed and planted some Silver white softneck and Russian purple hardneck garlic cloves. I'm going to dust off my heat mat and grow light and start some Romaine lettuce and cross my fingers that things won't get too cold for them to get established. The recent rains have encouraged the snails to migrate in search of new feeding and breeding grounds, so I'm doing a daily search-and-destroy mission. Snails be warned; witness the wrath of my grubby old garden shoes as I dance on your slimy carcasses. ("Dancing With the Stars" contestants could learn some new moves from my vengeful fury.)
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/12/2015, 11:13 am

We had our first frost last night - it wasn't supposed to get that cold and I forgot to cover one patch of my spaghetti squash and it will highly likely be done.  Oh well... it was really slowing down with the shorter days anyway, it was an experiment.

The rest was ready and will do well.  I have massive patches of cherry tomatoes that will be done as well.  Normally I harvest a lot of the green ones to ripen over the next two months, but I have lots growing in my greenhouse so I'll only grab some of them this time.  The rest will just compost right where they are an my next batch of "volunteers" will come up right there again next spring.  I rotate things elsewhere in my garden but this patch has been doing really well for a couple of years with no effort so I'm letting nature rule there :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/12/2015, 11:17 am

Yardslave, I HATE SNAILS!!!!  Growing up in San Diego they were our constant nemesis, fortunately they don't live where I am now.  We have a few slugs but no more than we can handle.  Yuck!  I understand that vengeful dance all too well!

My bigger nemisis is grasshoppers.  I get the same satisfaction in crushing them to death under my feet... only a gardener would understand the "protective mother's love" of her seedlings, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/12/2015, 6:30 pm

Let's see. Snails/slugs, grasshoppers and freeze. Yep, that sums up this time of the year. Sweetie caught and dispatched a grasshopper this morning. Good Kitty. The slugs in the backyard are pretty much staying out of the boxes now that they are raised and there are leaves and wood chips on the ground. I got the tomatoes moved into the little greenhouse. Waiting on the first-ever sweet potatoes. I'm excited to see how they turn out

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/12/2015, 11:31 pm

I lucked on the frost - it must have been just early in the morning, my tomatoes and squash look like they made it through.  Everything is tucked in tonight.  We'll see how my mylar survival blanket covering works just over the ground and plants.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 11/13/2015, 12:03 pm

We don't usually get frosts until March in my area, but we've seen 2 days of it already. Looks like the weather pattern is now 4 months ahead. Until now, the weather pattern's been 2 months ahead- I hope the fruit trees don't start budding too soon if the temperatures go back up. 2 years ago the same thing happened (early frost, followed by a late spring frost) and almost all the fruit dropped dead on everything but the apples.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/13/2015, 2:42 pm

YS, I fret over my single Dwarf Naval tree that way. Yet every Christmas I end up with enough oranges to share. You don't get frost until March?? Or is that a typo? Wow.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/15/2015, 3:38 am

Finished the green house today.  Just need to put a lamp in there on a timer before Sunday night. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Hot_ho11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/15/2015, 9:02 am

NICE!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/15/2015, 12:56 pm

Very nice sanderson. I want one.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/15/2015, 3:43 pm

Very primitive but it works.  I was trying to make an access hatch on hinges but the rain and cold caught up to me.  Maybe next winter. Wink

Ken is in the background, cutting off the tops of the 4x4 posts of the inner privacy fence. Before cutting: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 East_s10
After topping the posts: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 East_s11
The plan is to hang flower baskets from the top rail, maybe tall sunflowers and zinnias planted in the BTE run or in pots. Next spring.

Yes, if you think the inner fence is a little crocked in spots, you are right. The hard pan was a nightmare to drill in 20 years ago, to the point that I told Ken to not worry about total straight, that the eventual star jasmine would cover it.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/17/2015, 1:30 am

After yesterday's rain, today was sunny and crisp.  The cabbages at sunset in 2' x 3' TT: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Cabbag10

Chard and Kales in 2' x 8' TT: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Table_11

Winter garden, west to east: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Winter10

Orange tree; looks like oranges for Christmas: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 2 Orange10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/17/2015, 1:41 am

Beautiful!  My cabbages never sprouted, yours look great and your chard and kale are gorgeous!  Well done :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 41 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 41  Next