Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Toplef10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 I22gcj10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Toplef10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 I22gcj10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 10:05 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:How was this, TD.  I have never grown tomatillos.  Will you do over?
trolleydriver wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:We are having a crockpit dish ... the main ingredients from the garden are tomatillos and onions plus other store bought things such as chicken and garlic. We have SFG grown garlic but I need to use up the store bought stuff.

Here is what it looked like in the crockpot at the end of the cooking cycle.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Img_2614
It was good and yes I would make it again. However, there are other things I would like to try with tomatillos.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/29/2016, 7:41 pm

Mimi2 wrote:We had a nice herb pesto (chives, parsley, basil oregano, olive oil and sea salt) with shrimps, pasta and parmesan for dinner. The herbs were all from the garden- and we had orange and red tomatoes as our side. Here's a piceggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 IMG_20160928_181451_zpshqtojgqk

Yum!  I really missed having herbs this summer......next year!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/29/2016, 9:23 pm

TD,

I have an excellent one-pot/crockpot recipe from Martha Stewart that can be converted to pork.

If I remember correctly, the ingredients included tomatillos, corn, onion, garbanzo beans, garlic, and cilantro, plus a bit of lemon or lime juice, served over rice.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/30/2016, 3:53 pm

Broccoli leaves in my smoothie this morning, brussel sprouts plant tops in the soup tonight...with garlic!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/30/2016, 4:03 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:TD,

I have an excellent one-pot/crockpot recipe from Martha Stewart that can be converted to pork.

If I remember correctly, the ingredients included tomatillos, corn, onion, garbanzo beans, garlic, and cilantro, plus a bit of lemon or lime juice, served over rice.
Thanks ... I'll look it up.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/30/2016, 8:45 pm

Tonight, I'm preparing King salmon with home-grown dill and garlic.  I may add a bit of Beefmaster tomato and Romanesco squash, not to mention a few beans and potatoes.  Then there's the store-bought lemon....  and possibly a bit of shallot.  Unfortunately, the local deer paid a visit night-before-last, and I lost some small broccoli fleurettes. 

I'm quite a fan of one-dish meals, you see.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 10/1/2016, 2:18 pm

Today we're having a pot of (store bought) black eyed peas cooked with a ham shank and some collard greens from my garden and a few sweet taters I snuck from my 18 gallon tote. Just couldn't wait... bounce

MAN... them grocers (or groceries. Depending where your from) will make make a bulldog break a chain.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/1/2016, 9:48 pm

Easy and Marvelous crockpot marinara over Rana Mushroom ravioli....a little grated aged parmy.  Yummo!  Pinot noir made it pop!  Did not take a pic...

Making another batch of the sauce this weekend!  Those gifted maters just keep coming on!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/5/2016, 4:53 pm

Making salsa verde using tomatillos, garlic, onions and oregano from the garden. There are other ingredients that were store bought.

I mixed up the ingredients in the Vitamix then cooked it to make it thicker. To be honest I have no idea what real salsa verde tastes like so mine may only be a pale shadow of the real thing.

I've still got another 10 lbs of tomatillos to deal with. 

In addition to the above, I've got some Wasabi Mustard plants growing in the SFG. Trying to eat one leaf from these plants is killer hot. So I tried stir frying a small batch of the greens and they came out quite mild and tasted good.

Here is the salsa verde cooking on the stove.
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Img_2722eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Img_2723
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/5/2016, 7:07 pm

Salsa verde is milder than traditional salsa!  Looks wonderful!  Can you make a relish from your tomatillos?  I have never grown them.  Or a jam/jelly?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/5/2016, 8:38 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Salsa verde is milder than traditional salsa!  Looks wonderful!  Can you make a relish from your tomatillos?  I have never grown them.  Or a jam/jelly?
I'm going to do some canning.  I'll make a batch of Tomatillo Salsa per the USDA Canning Guide. I may freeze some of the Tomatillos as well.  The Tomatillos are very easy to grow but you need more than one plant to ensure pollination.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/5/2016, 10:15 pm

I  feeling a little wistful tonight as I prepared my almost entirely fresh from the garden meal.  Thinking that shortly that would be over until next year brought a tear to my eyes Sad 

Fresh salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, pomegranate seeds and pumpkin seeds (all but the lettuce from the garden we've been too hot).

Buttercup squash sauteed with sun dried tomatoes, basil and onion with Italian chicken sausage and parmigiano regianno cheese on top.

mmmmmmmmmmm Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/6/2016, 1:46 pm

Sad Audrey, You did very good with your summer garden. Will you employ the green house, that big beautiful structure?

TD, Your salsa looks delicious! My favorite dinner at a Mexican restaurant is chili verde - tender pork and tomatillo salsa.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/6/2016, 10:12 pm

We will replace the cover with 6 mil greenhouse plastic.  I want to get two zippers and make the ends openable.  We have to get to that in the next couple of weeks so we're not messing with it the night the freeze is coming (happens all-to-often around here, lol!)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/6/2016, 10:22 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Salsa verde is milder than traditional salsa!  Looks wonderful!  Can you make a relish from your tomatillos?  I have never grown them.  Or a jam/jelly?
I'm going to do some canning.  I'll make a batch of Tomatillo Salsa per the USDA Canning Guide. I may freeze some of the Tomatillos as well.  The Tomatillos are very easy to grow but you need more than one plant to ensure pollination.
Good for you on the canning!  That will be my next foray I believe....freezing is good, but just doesn't condense the stuff as well.   eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/8/2016, 12:07 pm

I bought a Veggetti spiralizer and I've been using it on my tromboncino squash. I had squash spaghetti for dinner last night, for breakfast this morning...and just now for lunch.
Embarassed
I love it! Only takes about a 5 inch piece of squash to make a serving. I'll get a lot of servings out of these 3+ foot long squashes.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/10/2016, 2:25 pm

Chef TD was at work today using ingredients from the SFG to make Potato Leek Soup. The key ingredient was Leeks from the SFG.  The Leeks were started indoors last Winter and transplanted into the SFG in the Spring. I also used Thyme and Parsley from the SFG TT. 

The recipe called for chicken broth but since it is Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend I was able to use turkey broth that was left over from our family Thanksgiving dinner which we had on Saturday. Mrs TD and I are taking it easy today since we looked after two grandchildren all day on Friday, had family visiting for dinner on Saturday and drove to Montreal early Sunday morning for a Christian Conference and then drove home to Ottawa last night.

The following series of photos shows the progression of the Soup starting with the Leeks in the SFG and ending with a completed bowl of soup.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 IMG_2791_zpsbbkbyygb

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 IMG_2792_zpsbqhblbiu

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 IMG_2793_zpsoarq4zwm

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 IMG_2795_zpsdmvcoom8

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 IMG_2796_zpsl7vfdtt5

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 IMG_2798_zpshkomnpak
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/10/2016, 2:29 pm

hungry

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/10/2016, 7:30 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!  

Looks wonderful, TD!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/17/2016, 6:31 pm

Sugar snap peas from the "salad bar." Snow white cherry tomatoes from the sun porch. Pear tomatoes from the greenhouse. Fingers crossed for 2 small zukes in the "salad bar" but they need several more days and the weather is gonna be iffy. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/18/2016, 11:07 am

Lemons, limes, and oranges. All GOOD! Very Happy The little trees are now safely tucked into their winter homes on the sun porch and everyone seems happy. sunny
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Citrus10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/18/2016, 1:12 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Lemons, limes, and oranges. All GOOD! Very Happy The little trees are now safely tucked into their winter homes on the sun porch and everyone seems happy. sunny
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 39 Citrus10

CN ... Those look delicious. I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow my own lemons, limes and oranges. However, in a couple of days I should be able to harvest snowballs in my yard (assuming the weather person got it right).
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/18/2016, 6:46 pm

Those are beautiful!  Yum!  

What I am eating is a few radishes, that I just picked, last thing out there is the mache...it is so tiny and close to the ground it is very impervious to early frosts....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/18/2016, 9:50 pm

It's about to start raining and not let up until Monday morning, so I won't be eating anything else from the garden for at least 72 hours. Then I'll check on the snow peas, radishes, peppers, and zukes. It's not supposed to get below 47 degrees, so maybe everything will survive for a little while longer. Fingers crossed.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/20/2016, 3:40 pm

This evening we ate the last part of  one 14 inch long by 2.5 dia carrot that Alison pulled out the main carrot bed last Thursday .  This will be the third time it's been on the table .

We also had a smallish onion in our gravy .. They are going quite fast only seven or so pounds of them left as Alison has been using more than normal in her casseroled stews .
 The garlic also lost a friend to the gravy as well .. again just a couple of pounds still hanging up in the office .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next