Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Toplef10Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce I22gcj10Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Toplef10Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce I22gcj10Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 6:17 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce

+13
sanderson
countrynaturals
Alice16
brainchasm
GloriaG
yolos
Windmere
kauairosina
cpl100
walshevak
FamilyGardening
Marc Iverson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Empty Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 5/27/2014, 3:56 pm

This is a red lettuce that will grow all winter (tested as low as -15 in a cold frame) and is also supposed to grow well all year around, hence the name.  I have only grown it since last fall so I can't speak to the summer as of yet.   It's a very productive lettuce that you can pick the outer leaves off and it will grow about as fast as you can pick it.

I'll send 25-30 seeds.  

I would love to simply exchange seeds - anything you have that is heirloom is fine.  If I already have it I'll pass it on to some gardening friends  Smile  If you don't have anything to share, don't worry, I'm happy to send it along anyway!

Message me for my address.
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Empty Re: Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce

Post  Marc Iverson 5/27/2014, 4:07 pm

I'm really looking forward to mine growing, audrey -- and I hope we both find out that it grows well in summer!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Empty Re: Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce

Post  FamilyGardening 5/27/2014, 4:34 pm

How is the taste? and where did you get your seeds from?

such a nice thought to give some away auderyj!

thanks for sharing and please keep us updated on how the lettuce does during the summer!

Not only are we growing for our selves we have 6 hens that we would love to provide fresh greens all year long  Very Happy 

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 5/27/2014, 4:45 pm

Rose, it's a very mild taste - everyone that has had it here has loved it.  

The seeds were purchased from Caleb Warnock - author of Growing a Backyard Winter Garden. He is involved in seed preservation on a world wide basis including working with governments to save heirloom seeds in seed banks.  He looks for antique varieties and when he locates them propagates them to save them for future generations.

This is his favorite lettuce and one of my favs too!

It grew unprotected all winter long for me.  Our lowest temps were 24 degrees.  It was in my greenhouse but unheated so my guess is it was perhaps 27-28 degrees.  This coming year I will plant them in the outside gardens for winter harvesting.  

My fall plants grew until April and produced really well.  We had record heat, over 100 several times in the Spring for a while and it didn't bolt until the end of April.  That should have been its natural life cycle any way so we'll watch my new plants this summer and report back.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/27/2014, 10:36 pm

Wow that long to bolt and it took that kinda temps? I'm starting to feel good about this! Very Happy
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/28/2014, 1:52 am

A lot of the seed companies are out of stock on this one, but as of today it is available here.

http://www.cooksgarden.com/vegetables/lettuce/lettuce-four-seasons-prod001083.html

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/1/2014, 1:41 pm

I still have more if anyone is interested.  I have four plants gone to seed  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 6/3/2014, 12:33 am

I sent you a PM.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/3/2014, 9:43 pm

I've sent out to everyone that has written so far.  If you don't receive your seeds in the next week or two let me know!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Empty If you still have four seasons seeds I'd

Post  kauairosina 6/4/2014, 2:47 pm

take some.  I missed the original message.  I'll give you my shipping address or send you a self addressed envelope if you give me your address.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/4/2014, 4:54 pm

Send me a PM with your address and if you have any seeds to share just let me know what you might have.  If not, don't worry about it :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 6/5/2014, 9:07 am

Hi Audrey,

My daughter is thrilled about the Marvel of Four Seasons lettuce.  She loves fresh salads.  So much so that she harvested the bitter stalks of my Yugoslavian lettuce and made a salad out of the leaves.  She used a very strong balsamic dressing and, believe it or not, her salad tasted pretty good.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask:  Do you think the Marvel lettuce will be able to withstand our oppressive 90+ degree weather in the summer.  I was thinking to hold off until it gets just a little bit cooler.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/5/2014, 9:51 am

Windmere wrote:Anyway, I just wanted to ask:  Do you think the Marvel lettuce will be able to withstand our oppressive 90+ degree weather in the summer.  I was thinking to hold off until it gets just a little bit cooler.
Inquiring minds want to know about planting this lettuce in the summer in the south.  I have a package and am just waiting for an open square to try it out.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Four Seasons - Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce Empty Marvel of Four Seasons Lettuce

Post  GloriaG 6/5/2014, 2:59 pm

I just received the package of Four Seasons Lettuce I ordered.  Am going to start some in the house this weekend and set it outside in the aeroponic tower as soon as it germinates. 

Right now we're in the mid 90° range and normally I would be growing all my lettuce indoors.  I'll let you know how it does.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/5/2014, 5:53 pm

Mine is bolting already.

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/5/2014, 7:55 pm

All of mine that was in the direct sun has bolted - but it was old.  I have new starts I'm planting in a large 24" round pot under my romaine which look like small trees as I pick their outer leaves.  So I'll report on how it does in those conditions.  

I don't think any lettuce is going to be at its best in 90-100+ temps, it's more a matter of if you can work with it to have fresh salads.  Last summer I planted a mixture of lettuce plants, sown closer than normal and picked the baby leaves off ever 2-3 days.  I had fresh lettuce all summer doing that.  I just pulled any that started to bolt and re-sowed the lettuce when needed. 

The best were the red and green romaine and oak leaf.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/5/2014, 9:21 pm

I'm curious how it will do in partial shade. I have some under row cover in direct sun, some in a deck railing type planter, and am going to put some in partial shade.

Before I've noticed some of my other types of lettuce growing, but sometimes growing poorly in partial shade. I hope to find the perfect way(s) to grow this lettuce year-round in our climate.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Alice16 2/17/2016, 10:06 am

Audrey, if you have any of the lettuce seeds left, I would love to try them.  Being in  upper Michigan, due to the extreme cold winters and late cool springs,  it is hard to grow many lettuce varieties. I would be happy to send you a package of heirloom seeds next week Smile  If you are able to send them,I can message you my addy and maybe give me a clue what types of seeds you might be interested in  Very Happy
Alice
Alice16
Alice16

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/17/2016, 10:33 pm

I would be delighted to send you some :-)  They're just starting to grow large right now and they're just one of my very favorite lettuces. 

Send me a message!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/23/2016, 11:48 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I would be delighted to send you some :-)  They're just starting to grow large right now and they're just one of my very favorite lettuces. 

Send me a message!
Is it too late to get in on this? I ordered a tiny bit of heirloom tomato seeds I could swap for these. One is Crimson Cushion Beefsteak. The other is Super Snow White Cherry. I'm only getting 10-15 of each, but I'd happily split them with you. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/23/2016, 11:22 pm

Unfortunately, my supply is low, but I have plants going to seed right now so I'll have some in a couple of months.  Write me back in June and I should have some to share :-)
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/23/2016, 11:31 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Unfortunately, my supply is low, but I have plants going to seed right now so I'll have some in a couple of months.  Write me back in June and I should have some to share :-)
Will do. Thanks.  Smile
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/5/2016, 1:17 am

My Marvel of 4 Seasons supply is full again, so if you would like to swap any seeds, just let me know.  If you don't have seeds but would like some, don't hesitate to ask :-) 
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/5/2016, 2:31 am

Audrey, If we ever meet, I would love to try Marcel of Four Season.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 6/5/2016, 2:35 am

I think I have a dental appointment this week.  I'll check my schedule tomorrow and maybe we can connect :-)  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next