Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
COMPOST 101 - Page 7 Toplef10COMPOST 101 - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

COMPOST 101 - Page 7 I22gcj10COMPOST 101 - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
COMPOST 101 - Page 7 Toplef10COMPOST 101 - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

COMPOST 101 - Page 7 I22gcj10COMPOST 101 - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:36 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:34 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 4:24 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» Cabbage worms
by Guinevere Yesterday at 7:07 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

COMPOST 101

+86
Soose
Chuck d'Argy
OhioGardener
FRED58
trolleydriver
MrBooker
Scorpio Rising
Richard L.
Razed Bed
ralitaco
ktomchik
Windmere
Stoney65
roaminroad
landarch
68carguy
gategitter
Turan
TxGramma
Marc Iverson
tomthebuilder
PabloElFlamenco
jimmy cee
lyndeeloo
WriterCPA
sanderson
yolos
Lindacol
GWN
madpiano
audrey.jeanne.roberts
greatgranny
Triciasgarden
Yardslave
Kelejan
efirvin
CapeCoddess
llama momma
cpl100
bwaynef
plantoid
Roseinarosecity
Ericka2385
floyd1440
gregrenee88
brenda g
martha
RoOsTeR
Chopper
yuliad
littlesapphire
mijejo
sherryeo
Dan R
barthie
AprilakaCCIL
TN_GARDENER
FamilyGardening
westie42
Cincinnati
LittleGardener
Bud Alexis
buttaflie143
Goosegirl
Squat_Johnson
BackyardBirdGardner
Barkie
cabinfever
Furbalsmom
boog1
madnicmom
florenceq
Old Hippie
model a man
Megan
davidclubb
quiltbea
boffer
LaFee
FarmerValerie
PJ Allen
timwardell
camprn
organicgardeningzen.com
Odd Duck
middlemamma
90 posters

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

COMPOST 101 - Page 7 Empty Re: COMPOST 101

Post  FamilyGardening 1/6/2013, 12:59 pm

has anyone used sea weed in their compost bin?

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/6/2013, 3:43 pm

Sabine ,

As Llama Momma says , the ripped up carboard turns to compost quite quickly once it's been wetted .
Most new cardboards boxes still have residues of insecticide in the card to stop the slugs eating the boxes if they get damp in the first few months of use.
It decays quite quickly when wetted and kept damp if it didn't we'd never see wworms galore in the cooler layers of our heaps.

Slugs tend to only go for newly decaying matter and fresh greenery .

Once you get a six inch to a foot deep mixture of things in the compost bin and stir it about or shove a long pointy broomstick down in it , the newly available oxygen feeds the microbes and fungi that make for the breakdown of materials ( composting ) . Considerable heat is produced and any slugs die as the temperature range is around 120 to 140 oF in the heap for several days at a time . It you turn the heap outsides to inside and rebuild it in your bin this aireation will restart the composting , so any slug eggs that might be in the bin stand a fair chance of being cooked to death , Rebuilding & aireating several times and the chances of any slugs are even less.

Last edited by plantoid on 1/6/2013, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/6/2013, 3:55 pm

plantoid wrote:Sabine ,

Most new cardboards boxes still have residues of insecticide in the card to stop the slugs eating the boxes if they get damp inn the first few months of use.

So whatever stops slugs doesn't bother worms. Interesting stuff since they are both soft and slimy critters. Wonder what mechinism is at work? thinking
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/6/2013, 4:00 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:has anyone used sea weed in their compost bin?

happy gardening
rose

I use seaweed. Love it! But I don't have a compost bin, I have a pile. I also use seaweed as mulch.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/6/2013, 4:12 pm

llama momma wrote:
plantoid wrote:Sabine ,

Most new cardboards boxes still have residues of insecticide in the card to stop the slugs eating the boxes if they get damp inn the first few months of use.

So whatever stops slugs doesn't bother worms. Interesting stuff since they are both soft and slimy critters. Wonder what mechinism is at work? thinking

I suspect that the insecticide keeps them slugs & worms at bay and once decaying in the compost heap the heat and gasses in the heap kill them off

The worms seem to only live in the upper levels and the sides of actual composting material , rarely deep inside my heaps but sometimes they are found at floor level in a well finished & seasoned bin.

When my bins composts were seven months old there were worms everywhere but no sign of slugs at all.

In the early days of February last year I did cheat a wee bit on a couple of bins and gave a watering that contained some nematode slug control solution that kills and eats slugs
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/6/2013, 4:19 pm

Sabine and for any others interested ..... here is a link to cat worms & humans .

It applies to all feline and canines as well all round the world
Our dog never goes out off a leash but he produced masses of nine inch long round worms when we wormed him two weeks ago

http://www.petshed.com/petcyclopedia/human-risk-from-cat-worms.html

There is also info about dogs in the site.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/6/2013, 5:00 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
FamilyGardening wrote:has anyone used sea weed in their compost bin?

happy gardening
rose

I use seaweed. Love it! But I don't have a compost bin, I have a pile. I also use seaweed as mulch.

CC

CC do you soak it first to remove the salt?....if so for how long?

hubby and i thought it would be fun to take the kids down by the bay and pick up some to add to the garden....we have been buying liquid sea weed and thought why buy it if we can get it free Very Happy

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/6/2013, 5:51 pm

Rinse it in a couple of buckets of clean slightly warm water , put the salty water down the drain . Then put the washed weed on the compost heap and mix it in a bit .

To make your own liquid seaweed feed ( it stinks a bit )
Put a couple of pounds of washed sea weed in a bucket , pour on warm water cover to keep light and insects out , stir every three or four days after two weeks you have your liquid feed .

Drain off and store in a sealable 2 gallon container etc.. Use an egg cup of it to 4 pints of water , put the remaining mash in a hole on the compost pile & cover it up. Shouild last 6 months or so before going stale if kept in a cool area of the garage stood on a concrete floor /slab .

Leave it much longer and it will really start to pong , it will still be of use but not as a feed ....pour the whole contents of the bucket in a hole on the compost heap instead cover it up , don't get any on your clothes then go out for the afternoon Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/6/2013, 6:16 pm

Thank you Plantoid & CC

we are getting so excited to use our compost this year...the past few years we have been buying it because we only had a small composter....now we have much more...thanks to hubby!

thanks to our neighbors leaves, our lawn clippings and yard waste along with our kitchen waste and my sisters family kitchen waste ( they juice a ton so we get lots of waste from them )..... all of that has brought a ton of worms into the compost......i dont know where they came from....hubby went out to see if we had any heat in the piles and give them a turn.....and he said he couldnt believe how many red worms are in the heaps :drunken:

we will also be adding some mushroom compost we have found local that we can purchase for cheap by the truck load if we want too Very Happy

we are going to get free bunny poo from my nephew Very Happy

we may end up buying a couple of bags of composted chicken poo...to throw into the mix.....the plants really seem to love that stuff Very Happy

then if we add the seaweed......and worm castings from our worm bin......our plants may just take over our lawn! Shocked which would be ok with me tongue

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/6/2013, 6:20 pm

Not sure if this was mentioned before but if you pick up the seaweed at the beach, be sure to wash the salt off of it before it goes into the compost bin. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

COMPOST 101 - Page 7 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/6/2013, 8:18 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:Thank you Plantoid & CC

we are getting so excited to use our compost this year...the past few years we have been buying it because we only had a small composter....now we have much more...thanks to hubby!

thanks to our neighbors leaves, our lawn clippings and yard waste along with our kitchen waste and my sisters family kitchen waste ( they juice a ton so we get lots of waste from them )..... all of that has brought a ton of worms into the compost......i dont know where they came from....hubby went out to see if we had any heat in the piles and give them a turn.....and he said he couldnt believe how many red worms are in the heaps :drunken:

we will also be adding some mushroom compost we have found local that we can purchase for cheap by the truck load if we want too Very Happy

we are going to get free bunny poo from my nephew Very Happy

we may end up buying a couple of bags of composted chicken poo...to throw into the mix.....the plants really seem to love that stuff Very Happy

then if we add the seaweed......and worm castings from our worm bin......our plants may just take over our lawn! Shocked which would be ok with me tongue

happy gardening
rose
Rose, you are not the only one getting excited about your compost this year. I think several of us are as well. I think we will now always have red worms in our compost; I am almost sure I never had any before last year. I am looking forward to a much better harvest this syear.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/6/2013, 8:34 pm

Rose,
Don't add more than a bucket of mushroom compost at a time to you heap as it usually contains horse & chicken muck plus straw and lime or gypsum
the latter two are to break the manures down to help release the nutrients for the mushrooms and to produce heat to help them grow .

If it has much of the lime in it could upset your MM if you get to much in one go
Look up chlorossis of lime in plants ( or similar spellings ) for further info if you're into that sort of thing
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/7/2013, 11:17 am

thank you again Very Happy

this is what it says on their web site about their mushroom compost....

*It consists of 60% wheatstraw, 25% poultry litter, 10% gypsum, and 5% dried urea, which are combined and composted. Mushrooms are grown in the material and then picked. The spent compost is then sterilized and sold as a soil conditioner. This compost is generally tilled into existing soil and used in vegetable gardens and flower beds.*

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/7/2013, 1:19 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:thank you again Very Happy

this is what it says on their web site about their mushroom compost....

*It consists of 60% wheatstraw, 25% poultry litter, 10% gypsum, and 5% dried urea, which are combined and composted. Mushrooms are grown in the material and then picked. The spent compost is then sterilized and sold as a soil conditioner. This compost is generally tilled into existing soil and used in vegetable gardens and flower beds.*

happy gardening
rose

That all sounds perfectly fine to add directly.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

COMPOST 101 - Page 7 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/7/2013, 1:53 pm

CC

CC do you soak it first to remove the salt?....if so for how long?

happy gardening
rose[/quote]

Nope, I don't rinse it per se. I read somewhere that the amount of salt is miniscule and doesn't cause damage. But I do try to get it after a rain and before the next tide. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I haven't had any problem that I can see so far using it unrinsed.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/7/2013, 2:23 pm

Rose, you are not the only one getting excited about your compost this year. I think several of us are as well. I think we will now always have red worms in our compost; I am almost sure I never had any before last year. I am looking forward to a much better harvest this syear.
kelejan me THREE....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

COMPOST 101 - Page 7 Empty Scored!!!

Post  Lindacol 1/7/2013, 6:07 pm

Yesterday I picked up 5 feed sacks of very fresh horse manure. I also stopped at a Starbucks & was told to call in the morning the day I want to pick up used grounds & they would save them for me - but not overnight. I had already stopped at the closest location and they do not keep the grounds separate for recycling. Then today I found another one and scored a big bag (probably at least 25 lbs).
Yesterday before the wind & rain started I turned my nearly finished compost into a new smaller bin. Then I will be able to layer the new horse manure & coffee grounds with contents of the bin I have been pileing stuff into (goat manure & alfalfa, shredded paper, some leaves, kitchen waste).

I am excited about my compost but I still do not have worms in it.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/21/2013, 7:05 pm

Bump

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/21/2013, 6:02 pm

I thought the following video series was fairly good for those just starting composting.  It took  a while to watch the whole series and much of it was repetative but still worth watching if you are just getting started.

http://uccemg.com/Soils-Fertilizers-Compost/Composting-Video-Series-386/
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/6/2013, 1:31 pm

Todays haul for the compost heap. A bag of coffee bean chaff and a 15+# bag of used grounds.
COMPOST 101 - Page 7 00113

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/6/2013, 4:21 pm

Be still, my heart!

Composting is addictive, even if there's no place to use it!  Smile
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21557

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 8/6/2013, 5:02 pm

I'm using the second edition of "Let it Rot!: The Gardener's Guide to Composting (Third Edition) (Storey's Down-to-Earth Guides) [Paperback]"*
http://www.amazon.com/Let-Rot-Composting-Down---Earth/dp/1580170234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375822498&sr=8-1&keywords=LET+IT+ROT

Amazon has the new edition used for $3.95.  But my old version is clear and easy to use and the science of breaking down waste has not really changed much since the first edition came out in 1975.

*Plug for "The Book Thing" in Baltimore, a great source of free books! -- Talk about recycling at its best. It has many old tried and true gardening books, often with helpful notes from prior owners.  http://bookthing.org/
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/6/2013, 5:57 pm

sanderson wrote:Be still, my heart!

Composting is addictive, even if there's no place to use it!  Smile
There's always somewhere to use compost!What a Face 

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 8/6/2013, 6:18 pm

I was gifted a used turning composter. It looks like a food barrel on legs and it flips. Is anyone using one of these? I've been filling it and flipping it. When it got too wet I emptied it and let the compost dry out a bit and started again. It looks good and does not smell. I'm not sure how to tell when it's really done. Do I have to make sure it reaches a certain temperature like you talk about with the compost piles? I'd like to use it for my second planting. I stopped adding to it a week ago. I've been reading the posts about compost, but haven't seen any about this type of composter. Any advice for this first time composter would be appreciated!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 8/7/2013, 9:08 am

Lyndeeloo
I have a tumbler and picked up a few tips.
I try to dry material I add, at least not add anything soggy.
When material becomes to wet,  add browns, it will help dry.
Wet material attracts bugs.
My tumbler isnt quick, last batch I had, I placed in my compost pile.
Remember practice makes perfect...( I'll probably be gone before I get anywhere near perfect )
COMPOST 101 - Page 7 5_18_110
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next