Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Toplef10greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 I22gcj10greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Toplef10greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 I22gcj10greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

+24
trolleydriver
quiltbea
Scorpio Rising
walshevak
Kelejan
donnainzone5
steve638
AtlantaMarie
brainchasm
CapeCoddess
yolos
Goosegirl
Turan
camprn
johnp
boffer
GloriaG
2SooCrew
Marc Iverson
Cajunsmoke14
meatburner
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
has55
28 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Empty Re: The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/8/2013, 2:47 pm

has55 wrote:]I will be following your progress. To have some summer crops like tomatoes to eat is exciting. went back to look at your list of vegetables:Lemon Cucumber, tomatoes, bush beans, japanese eggplant, hot chili peppers, basil, multi varities of lettuce, beets, swiss chard

WOW.Now that the farmer market of wintering gardening.Very Happy 
What zone are you in Denton? I think you get down into the teens regularly don't you? Our son and daughter-in-law live in Dallas and were married in Denton. It's a lovely area.

I'm 8A so my lightweight system will work here, however if you added a heat source when needed and used the space blankets over the top of your greenhouse I bet you might be able to pull it off too.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Empty Re: The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

Post  Marc Iverson 12/8/2013, 4:57 pm

has55, what a cool idea for a project. Now instead of lifting off cloth, you can keep it properly fastened and just lever off the whole frame. Much easier and quicker. I love when people approach the same old problems with some new creative thinking!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/11/2013, 6:14 pm

I received some more pictures from Mr. Vern Harris about his gliding hoop house. See below:

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family10

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family11

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family12

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family13

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family14

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family15

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family16

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family17

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Family18
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/11/2013, 6:36 pm

Hi, audrey.jeanne.roberts, my zone for denton, tx-7b-5F to 10F

question about your space blanket. 
Where did you buy it? 

Cost for one? 

Do you know the size? 

Is it thick or the thin type? 

Fragile or sturdy?

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Audrey10

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Audrey11
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/11/2013, 6:55 pm

does anyone know of a local name brand store that carry clear greenhouse tape? I'm in Denton, tx. so far. i'm only finding it online. Probably not using correct key word.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/11/2013, 11:24 pm

has55 wrote:Hi, audrey.jeanne.roberts, my zone for denton, tx-7b-5F to 10F

question about your space blanket. 
Where did you buy it? 

Cost for one? 

Do you know the size? 

Is it thick or the thin type? 

Fragile or sturdy?

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Audrey10

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Audrey11I bought them at REI (the sports outfitter company, not sure what REI stands for).  They were I think $16.95 or thereabouts.  They are quite durable as they are 4 or 5 layers laminated, thus the greater expense than the $2 one time use variety.  You can find them at Walmart online and several other places, I just googled space blankets.  

They are proving very effective.  They are only sold in 5' x 7' sizes (that I could find) so I used my sewing machine to sew 4 together to make a covering for my 5 x 10 box + there are 2 more, one on each side that form the envelope.  

In 22* overnight temps I have not lost a single plant - including a two squash, a cucumber and full sized tomatoes which are all sensitive to the cold.  I am running a small heater under the large covering.  It is set at it's lowest temp and seems to turn off about 40 degrees so it runs very little.  I haven't seen a power bill, but fingers crossed it won't be horrid, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/11/2013, 11:40 pm

thank you for the info.

you said" 

All I have to do now is unroll the top cover and clip the sides each night."

What type of clip? Any pictures? I couldn't tell from your pictures.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 12/12/2013, 8:52 am

hass55 I just got a roll of repair tape from Growers Supply (Farmtec) yesterday. It was a 2 inch wide tape. I also bought 6 mil clear remnant's for a really cheap price for my yet to be built cattle panel green house.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/12/2013, 11:22 am

has55 wrote:thank you for the info.

you said" 

All I have to do now is unroll the top cover and clip the sides each night."

What type of clip? Any pictures? I couldn't tell from your pictures.
I'll try to remember to take pictures tonight when I close up, I'm actually using alligator office clips and odds n ends clips I have hanging around. I roll the seams over 2 or 3 times and then just clip them. That way no warm air escapes.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/12/2013, 7:25 pm

OK, here's the way I clip the sides.  I place the two edges one on top of the other then roll them 2 or 3 times and add the clips.  That keeps the air gaps/leaks to a minimum.  These are business clips, I've always called them "alligator clips" but don't know if that's the name you would look them up under.  Easy to find and very cheap.  Lots of different sizes available.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Photo-5copy_zps7bb83252

Not sure what these kinds of clips are called or where we got them - I'm fairly certain also at an office supply store.  

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Photo-5_zps0eaaedb2
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/12/2013, 9:52 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:.  These are business clips, I've always called them "alligator clips" but don't know if that's the name you would look them up under.  Easy to find and very cheap.  Lots of different sizes available.

Not sure what these kinds of clips are called or where we got them - I'm fairly certain also at an office supply store.  

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Photo-5_zps0eaaedb2

lol! Alligator clips brings back memories of the hippie days.  Audrey, alligator clips often describes electrician clips that were used to hold the very last bit of a marijuana joint!  The common name for your black office clips is binder clips.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/12/2013, 10:27 pm

sanderson wrote: lol! Alligator clips brings back memories of the hippie days.  Audrey, alligator clips often describes electrician clips that were used to hold the very last bit of a marijuana joint!  The common name for your black office clips is binder clips.
My very, very, very limited experience of such matters wasn't enough to bring that to mind, LOL! But I can recall and can recall what they look like that gave them the nick name.

By the way, did you hear that the county board of supervisors made pot growing completely illegal in Fresno county yesterday? I am so relieved - you cannot believe the violence and the crime syndicates that moved into our little peaceful valley. $1,000 per plant fines that multiply when they don't comply. When the county below us instigated those penalties is when the syndicates moved into our neighborhood.

For those who might approve of pot legalization, you really need to understand the evil it brings with it into peaceful family neighborhoods and the crime is horrific. We have a young couple in our church that had to move out of their property hastily when they were shot at carrying their 2 year old daughter with them. They were in between two growers who were warring with each other.

AWFUL
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/12/2013, 11:02 pm

Opps, we got off topic. I sent you a PM.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/29/2013, 3:48 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:OK, here's the way I clip the sides.  I place the two edges one on top of the other then roll them 2 or 3 times and add the clips.  That keeps the air gaps/leaks to a minimum.  These are business clips, I've always called them "alligator clips" but don't know if that's the name you would look them up under.  Easy to find and very cheap.  Lots of different sizes available.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Photo-5copy_zps7bb83252

these picture were very helpful. thank you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 12/29/2013, 4:54 am

Moving on to next stage with low tunnel hoophouses. Still working out some kinks. Here's what I have now: venting stage. Please share any ideas that you may have.
thank you

1. glued 1' scheduled 40 pipe with 1/2" tee that's also glued to a snap clamp so it could clip to the 1/2" emt bar.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4010

2. attached velcro to pipe and venting box

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4011

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4012

3. assembled together the vent and pvc pipe with velcro

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4013

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4014

4. venting box need support from under and on both sides

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4015

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4016

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4017

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4019

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4020

5. Attaching the venting box with 2 way tape

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Vent_b10

6. using tie tie down to open and close hoophouse. Will change bottom attachment to eyebolt. I believe that's what it's called. If there is better ideas please share.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Tie_do12

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Tie_do10

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Tie_do11

7. hoophouse open with newly attached vent box. box appears to be working. presently remote thermometer is displaying temps at decent ranges. I also have been leaving the hoophouse open on mildly windy days to get real unfiltered sunlight and feel the wind. Presently it has been easy to just open and close it now. The venting box were a great addition. there still some kinks that need to be worked out. I will update later.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4021

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4022

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4023

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 3_open10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/29/2013, 3:52 pm

You've come up with some very creative solutions.  greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 3170584802 

After looking at your last two pictures, I'm guessing you don't get much wind at your place?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/29/2013, 4:06 pm

Has, I do believe that you love to tinker and problem solve!!  Very Happy Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/2/2014, 7:09 pm

sanderson wrote:Has, I do believe that you love to tinker and problem solve!!   Very Happy Very Happy 
Actually Sanderson, I'm a lazy gardener who just want to find a easy way to do the maintenance part of gardening. I like to spend more time enjoying the plants colors, shapes of the plants and seeds , harmony with natures-insects,sun, wind, rain, growth , harvesting and eating them. The man made stuff like watering,fertilizing, shading, weeding ( which is very little),seeking out destructive insects I can do without, but it must be done. I just want to spend very little time doing it. So I'm always exploring, gleaning off others for a better way. I'm extremely grateful that the others and you are willing to share.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/2/2014, 7:21 pm

It was cold last night and tonight also, about 19-22 degress. The cool weather plants are holding up in the low tunnel hoop house. Inside I have a  floating row cover  with a thin aluminum space blanket for the night only. removed in daytime. Last night temp held about 31-32 via the remote thermometer reading. The project still needs some work for more heat control at night, without running electricity. the  tunnels are opening and closing well and the passive heat vent are opening and closing appropriately. All my ideas are not out yet on this project, will keep you updated.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/3/2014, 9:36 pm

Am I just kidding myself and wasting time?  These are some of the peppers in my little green house.  I was hoping that new stems would grow out of the nodes on the main stems.  Or should I toss and start seedlings?
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Hot_ho15
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/3/2014, 10:20 pm

Don't give up on them Sanderson! Peppers love HOT weather, so maybe when you get out of the cool of January they will start to pick up and fill out. Peppers are like tomatoes and eggplant, they snub their noses at 40's, condescendingly tolerate 50's, and thrive when nights are 60's and above.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/4/2014, 2:49 am

boffer wrote:You've come up with some very creative solutions.   greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 3170584802 

After looking at your last two pictures, I'm guessing you don't get much wind at your place?
the wind is off and on, but nothing like Kansas. that was a good day. 

Hey Boffer , I found your teeth 
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Zzimag10

they were trying to get close enough to eat southern gardener awesome Cauliflower   Very Happy 
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Caulif10

Caught tooth handed
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/6/2014, 8:36 pm

got overconfidence saturday. Just prior to going to work on night shift 7p-7a, found two of the low tunnel hoop houses had collapsed. I didn't latch down the front entry thinking the weight of the EMT tubing would prevent it from being lifted up by the wind. 
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Tie_do15

Sadly I made a mistake and found myself hurriedly trying to put them back together with my wife help. I don't have pictures because I was up against the clock to go to work. The top support tee/brackets clips that separated the hoops had came apart.

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4025

greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4026

solution- 
1. Tie it down !!! the other two were tied down. No problem with them. They seem to holding up against the wind.
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Tie_do14

2. the tee bracket/clips are slightly to big. Make new clips with a 1/2 pvc tee for 1/2 emt.
greenhouse -  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 5 Img_4024

3. add side brackets.

last night temps drop down to 3 degrees due to wind chill in decatur , tx at my job. now it 26 in the hoop houses without heat. Will see how they do in a few days.
Been too busy to add external space blanket like audrey.jeanne.roberts
I can't sew, so this may be a next year project,because I want to shape the cover close to the design of the hoop house. I have some ideas  how to keep it weighed down without spending a bunch of energy or time.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/7/2014, 1:47 am

If you need to make a larger cover than the single 5 x 7 standard size can accomplish but can't sew, then I think you could simply fold over the seams a couple times and staple them.  I'm sure that would be adequate.

Hope you survive the freeze!

I am ready to harvest some Japanese eggplant. They're so stinking cute! Instead of being 10-12 inches long they're only about 4-5 inches but they look ripe so I'm going to pick them later this week. I have some beefsteak tomatoes that are just about to come ripe, some baby romas and cherry tomatoes. Also, my red hot chili peppers are starting to turn red.

I'm loving the greenhouse system, it's working perfectly. 5 minutes to open everything up in the morning and 7 minutes to close it down at night.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/7/2014, 2:53 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:If you need to make a larger cover than the single 5 x 7 standard size can accomplish but can't sew, then I think you could simply fold over the seams a couple times and staple them.  I'm sure that would be adequate. "

an excellent idea. Thank you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next