Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Coastal Georgia. Toplef10Hello from Coastal Georgia. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Coastal Georgia. I22gcj10Hello from Coastal Georgia. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Coastal Georgia. Toplef10Hello from Coastal Georgia. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Coastal Georgia. I22gcj10Hello from Coastal Georgia. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Coastal Georgia.

+6
camprn
Marc Iverson
sanderson
walshevak
carmelita
garden_gals
10 posters

Go down

Hello from Coastal Georgia. Empty Hello from Coastal Georgia.

Post  garden_gals 8/19/2013, 4:32 pm

Glad I found you! I am fairly new to gardening and haven't tried the square foot method at all but love what I am seeing.

I feel like my head is swimming with information about Ph, soil, pollenation, good bugs, bad bugs and everything else that one might find in a gardening book. The books are great but they are not as helpful as I think this group will be!

I am looking forward to being able to see everyone's posts and advice and (maybe??) find some that actually garden in my "not so fertile and very challenging" Coastal South zone.
garden_gals
garden_gals

Back to top Go down

Hello from Coastal Georgia. Empty Re: Hello from Coastal Georgia.

Post  carmelita 8/19/2013, 6:16 pm

I'm in Savannah Georgia with terrible soil. That's the great thing about this method. You use Mel's Mix and you cannot go wrong.
carmelita
carmelita

Female Posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/19/2013, 7:06 pm

glad you\'re here  if you don't already have it, get a copy of ALL NEW SQUAREFOOT GARDENING, 2nd ed.  That's the latest version out there.  With SFG a lot of the garden book mumbo jumbo disappears and you are left with an easy method.  The bugs are a different matter but there are a lot of suggestions on the forum to help with that.  You can go as organically as you want or not as much.  I personally try organic first and if all else fails will resort to some of the not quite as organic solutions.  My neighbor on the other hand is highly sensitive to some of the herbicides and pesticides so has to be more careful.  I introduced her to SFG tabletop style and she has been able to improve her eating.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/20/2013, 12:04 am

Garden Gals,  Welcome to the Forum.  glad you\'re here 

I'm a first year SFG-er and I swear by it.  As Walshevak stated, get the book.  I got mine used on eBay.  But even if you have to buy it new, it is imperative that you know the contained information.

Don't forget to take photos to share and chronicle your journey.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/20/2013, 12:21 am

Welcome! Like Walshevak says, the SFG method makes a lot of the mumbo jumbo disappear. pH, for instance, can make my head spin, what with all the different ways to amend it, and the way one attempt to fix it can throw off something else in the garden. The more you fix, the more you might fail, and the more you learn, sometimes it feels like, the less you know! Mel says that mixing vermiculite, peat, and 5-way blended compost the way he recommends leaves you with pretty neutral pH that's well-suited for most vegetables. Worry over, problem solved.

It's also a very nutritious soil that is nice and loose to help roots penetrate readily, and it also holds both air and water nicely and in good balance.

For what it's worth, I'm liking Mel's advice to start seeds in vermiculite, too. It makes my peas very easy to keep moist but not wet, and is loose enough that their tiny leaves can pop right up. Plus it's sterile, so no disease/bacteria worries.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Hello from Coastal Georgia. Empty Square mile gardens!

Post  garden_gals 8/22/2013, 10:37 am

The more I read here, the more I realize that it will be a bit of a road for me to convert what I have no to square foot. Good thing I love hanging out in my garden! I am inspired by all the cool photos here and excited to have all this great advice. As soon as I figure out how to post a photo, I will show you where my 'beginning' is.thanks
garden_gals
garden_gals

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/22/2013, 10:42 am

Click this link to read about how to do things on the forum.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hello from Coastal Georgia. WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 8/22/2013, 1:10 pm

Hi garden gals! welcome  to the forum. This is my first year gardening and I love my SFG raised beds. I started out with two 2'x10'x10" beds with trellis on the north 10' sides and I love them...they are so easy to work with. I already have plans for more beds and all kinds of neat things I want to add to my garden area. I agree about the head swimming, there is a lot of info to take in on SFG and gardening in general but it is fun  too. Just hang in there and don't worry to much. You can figure it out as you go. Gardening is an ongoing learning experience so don't be afraid to just jump in and get started. There are plenty of people here ready to help you out when you hit a roadblock. Good luck and can't wait to see your garden.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/22/2013, 3:42 pm

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you found us! If you ever have a question about anything the comes up there are lots of friendly people here that are happy to help! Have fun and happy gardening!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  garden_gals 8/24/2013, 11:24 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the welcome and the advice and it is really great to have found a forum with such nice folks. I have been reading over the past couple of weeks and haven't found any ugliness, which you see on so many of these types of forums. I just got the "ALL NEW" book today and am hoping to find a little time to read it tomorrow. In the meantime, I just came in on a rainy night with my head lamp after finding the culprits of my bean seedling destruction in one (only one!) of my beds (and it isn't a raised one). I am a little early to plant and I kind of expected this problem would happen after talking to locals who told me I was a little early. But, the seedling destruction/pill bugs are a follow on to another topic that I have already posted, so I will take it up there. I am starting to think that the size and shape of the beds that I already have may work okay in terms of the square foot method and it turns out that my soil base was not that far off from Mel's mix, so with some amendments I think I can probably move them along over the course of the next couple of seasons. I will post a pic of what I currently have tomorrow. Thanks again for the welcome!
garden_gals
garden_gals

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/25/2013, 12:49 am

Welcome garden_gals!  I would recommend that you get a compost pile started as soon as you can, if you are able.  If it were me, I would also move the soil that you have in your bed now and use it somewhere else and make your own MM in your bed.  You will be starting off the right way and will be amazed at how great it is to work with and grow in.  If you have any problems with growing in MM, it is much easier for people on this forum to help you figure out what the problem is than if you fix up the soil you already have.

We do have a good group on this forum and are happy you joined us!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  garden_gals 8/25/2013, 10:35 am

Thanks, Triciasgarden. I do have a small compost pile but am not effectively working it so it doesn't produce much. It is hard to find a good source of dry stuff for it here. Our live oak leaves and magnolia leaves take forever to break down! I was thinking of using shredded paper from my office, but then there is the whole ink/dioxin problem (or chemicals, maybe they quit using dioxin?). Anyway, I have purchased all my compost or, at least, most of it for the raised beds. I have a friend with chickens, so that helps. Right now I have about 500 square feet in 9 beds which I built over the last 4 years. The bed in question with the pill bugs is the only one that isn't a raised bed, other than a small herb garden around a lemon tree about 10 feet away from this one. Definitely a work in progress, especially if I need to think about moving that soil. Yikes! I may have to exercise a lot of patience with this bed. On the other hand, my squash plants have started out super strong!
garden_gals
garden_gals

Back to top Go down

Post  MichelleMTucker 5/11/2014, 4:09 pm

Gardening here is savannah ga. First year with my veggie sfg. Excited to see how things turn out. Glad I found this group specific to my area ~ going to need to Check back often for advice. Thanks in advance
MichelleMTucker
MichelleMTucker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2014, 4:50 pm

Michelle, Check in daily, if you can, to see the latest topics. Some really neat ideas pop up all the time.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down