Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some people are starting to get it... Toplef10Some people are starting to get it... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some people are starting to get it... I22gcj10Some people are starting to get it... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some people are starting to get it... Toplef10Some people are starting to get it... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some people are starting to get it... I22gcj10Some people are starting to get it... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising 5/9/2024, 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Some people are starting to get it...

+6
boffer
Triciasgarden
jazzycat
grownsunshine
LittleGardener
brainchasm
10 posters

Go down

Some people are starting to get it... Empty Some people are starting to get it...

Post  brainchasm 7/9/2013, 9:50 pm

http://wakeup-world.com/2011/12/14/a-deliciously-resourceful-town-aims-for-total-food-self-sufficiency-within-7-years/

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Some people are starting to get it... Empty Re: Some people are starting to get it...

Post  LittleGardener 7/10/2013, 1:13 am

So good. Thanks for sharing what this town of 15000 is doing, & proceeding towards self-sufficiency. Wonderful! Very Happy 
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Some people are starting to get it... Empty Re: Some people are starting to get it...

Post  grownsunshine 7/10/2013, 12:18 pm

Neat story. Something special seems to happen when people "share their food"...greater sense of community, common good, etc

I though this was humorous. ‘Wars come about by men having drinks in bars, good things come about when women drink coffee together,’ says Mary. Same could be said about "the house wives of (?)", ha, ha...but point taken.

....heart warming story.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 7/10/2013, 12:34 pm

That's awesome!  I've shared Pam Warhurst's TED talk here and elsewhere, and there are people here in my city trying to get something like this going.  Many of the schools have gardens and farms.  My old high school won an award earlier this year for theirs.  We are at war with big agribusiness and corporations like Monsanto.  The only way to win, is by doing things like this.  Smile
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 7/10/2013, 1:45 pm

Well said Jazzycat
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/10/2013, 7:03 pm

Wonderful article!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/10/2013, 7:13 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I'm passing this link along to a local city council person.   A non-profit organization here has been trying to start a community garden within the city limits.  (population 5000)

The obstacles they are encountering are a head scratcher:

• Must meet ADA guidelines
  • Must have X amount of parking
  • Must have bathrooms
  • It will cost $6,000 to hook up to city water

That's a steep row to hoe!  Wink 

I'm not on the development team, so I'm not privy to all the details.  But, I've been watching closely because I'd like to be involved when they get it established.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/10/2013, 7:20 pm

I was reading through this after I saw it posted last night. It's such a cool project and I love how multi-faceted it is. Not just having some free veggies here or there, but wanting the whole town to be self-sufficient! How many of us here have thought of being self-sustaining and it gets overwhelming thinking of all you'd have to be able to do. But imagine if your whole community were helping you and you were all in on it together! I love it!

There was an article on facebook a while ago about a new park in Seattle that's going to be planted the Food Forest way and all the food will be free. Can't remember if that made it onto this forum or not.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/10/2013, 7:37 pm

I would so love to be totally self-sufficient!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/10/2013, 7:39 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:I would so love to be totally self-sufficient!
Unless you have money, it's a lot of work, everyday.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Some people are starting to get it... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/10/2013, 7:56 pm

Boffer,  In Fresno, community gardens are often associated with churches:

Plenty of parking and established water service.

Add an approved sanitary chemical toilet, ADA design, (with servicing and attached handwashing sink, soap and paper towel dispensers) in an area accessible to the servicing truck, maybe build a redwood lattice frame that can be swung open on the servicing side. Bean or flower trellises on three sides creating a "honey shack."

Install decent backflow prevention device on the "church" water line serving the garden.

ADA - SFG is perfect with TT set on donation bricks accessed by wide brick walkways.  SFG is perfect for community gardens in general.

Compost pile design for clean trimmings, waste disposal proposals for trash and diseased waste.

Lease with the church and Rules/Regulations for the members.

Are you sure you can't share with the council?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 7/10/2013, 8:59 pm

camprn wrote:

Not necessarily.  With permaculture, there is a lot of work and expense up front, but once it's established, it's actually very little work, and almost no expense, according to everything I've read or seen about it.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/10/2013, 9:11 pm

jazzycat wrote:
camprn wrote:

Not necessarily.  With permaculture, there is a lot of work and expense up front, but once it's established, it's actually very little work, and almost no expense, according to everything I've read or seen about it.
Your theory, is interesting, but having lived off the grid for several years (quite a while ago now)  I was considering everything from growing vegetables, preserving the harvest, collecting potable water, generating electrical power, harvesting wood for heat, raising animals for meat, etc, etc, etc... It was hell running out of propane which was for the stove and the fridge. I stand by my comment.

The project the OP linked to is a wonderful idea.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Some people are starting to get it... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/10/2013, 10:10 pm

jazzycat wrote:
camprn wrote:

Instead of calling it work, let's call it time.  Eating veggies from the garden takes a lot of time, period.  

I could pop a can of beets and have them heating up in a pot in 30 seconds.  Or, I can go look around my gardens for beets that are the right size to harvest, scrub and trim each one, boil them for 45 minutes, cool them enough to peel them, and then I have fresh beets to eat.  While the beets were boiling, I could re-plentish the square with compost, and then replant something.  More than an hour, just to have fresh beets from the garden.  

Last winter, I decided my gardening objective would be to eat 2 garden veggies and a green salad from the garden every day of the year, just for my wife and me.  I thought it was a modest objective, but it already feels like a part time job.  Not complainin'-just sayin'-it takes a lot of time.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/11/2013, 12:24 am

sanderson wrote:Boffer,  In Fresno, community gardens are often associated with churches:..
...Are you sure you can't share with the council?

Interesting. I can't think of a single church in or around town that has a garden. Some of them offer free meals to the community each week, and a couple have very large food bank operations.

The board of directors of the organization I was referring to has some pretty savvy retired executive types on it who know how to play the game. They're adept at drumming up various donations as the needs arise, and playing nice with local officials.

That world no longer interests me. When they're ready for somebody to make some sawdust or do some arcin' and sparkin', I'll be first in line.

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2013, 1:00 am

Boffer, I apologize. Fresno sits in the center of one of the largest ag areas in the US. We have a large Hmong population and we have several CGs. Different environment.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 7/11/2013, 12:23 pm

Sanderson - I can only imagine that a city council in a small town must set aside a bit of time for community feedback. Love your ideas/vision.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/11/2013, 1:29 pm

This reminds me of Rowena and her gleaning gardens.

A quote from Rowena
"we think of them as our candle gardens, because we decided to light a candle rather than to curse the darkness."

I hope her projects are all going well.

I have been noticing a few such gardens around my town now.  It started with raised beds at the Food Pantry and Food Coop.

This all ties in with Tricia's lovely thread on sharing garden produce with ones neighbors.

I was talking with a market gardener who commented that she did like growing vegetables for people who couldn't for some reason.  There is a lot of economy in scale, she has 2 acres in wide rows and that does for 45 CSA shares and stuff to sell at the farmers market and our online farmers market.  But what she really likes is enabling people to grow their own vegtables at least for the summer.   This as she was pushing me to expand to a bigger greenhouse Wink

Last edited by Turan on 7/11/2013, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/11/2013, 1:36 pm

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down