Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Toplef10Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts I22gcj10Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Toplef10Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts I22gcj10Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts

+2
WriterCPA
unit649
6 posters

Go down

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Empty Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts

Post  unit649 6/22/2013, 1:19 pm

I am trying to put up 36" chicken wire fencing on 4' green u posts. It is not as easy as I thought.

1. How do you stretch the wire so it is smooth?

2. Using zip ties, but not sure how it should be laced in the wire before hooking on post. The little octagons never seam to line up right with the post hooks.

3. I have about 6" at the bottom to fold out on the ground as someone suggested. Should I cut the bottom wire at the corner to get it to flare out?

Thank you all for the great help.
Madge
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Empty Re: Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts

Post  WriterCPA 6/22/2013, 1:33 pm

Had to look up green u posts, so I think you mean green metal fence posts. I use those for some overhead supports, but not my verticals.

My way of attaching chicken wire fencing to anything is to loop galvanized wire through the chicken wire mesh and then around whatever with at least two loops and a final twist. With the U posts, I would try to catch a loop of chicken mesh on the little "elbow" pieces at the holes in the U posts.

I have two ways to "straighten out" chicken mesh. 1) Unwind it opposite to the curl as you put it up, or 2) Cut the length you need, put it curl side down on the ground and walk on it to take out the curl. (I usually have to do this with older stored pieces that I use for vertical support of melons or odds and ends that get used for something like the length I just made into a square potato cage.)

M
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Empty Re: Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts

Post  sanderson 6/22/2013, 2:23 pm

CPA Writer,  I used method 2 but today I will do one more step.  We have a 6' section of 4" PVC that I will use to roll over instead of just walking.  I need to get it as smooth as possible for drying kelp.

I used this FREE material:
Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Free_c10
To build this double sided, semi-lumpy, compost cage:
Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Compos10
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 6/22/2013, 2:26 pm

I'm curious, why does it need to be so smooth for drying kelp?
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/22/2013, 2:35 pm

Sorry, didn't quite state it correctly. I like things to look as nice as possible because everything is in our tiny back yard. I will first use it as the "tray" for the slimy kelp, suspended over the lawn with benches. Then will be cut to size for plant cages. The stuff was rolled up flat like a bolt of fabric. Very lumpy.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 6/22/2013, 6:18 pm

SFG fence done, Yeah! Thanks to you all for the helpful suggestions. I have about 6-8 inches of fence bent out on the ground. And thanks for that advice WriterCPA. Here are some pics.
MadgeNeed Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 20130615
Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 20130616
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 6/22/2013, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the pics! That is an awesome fence!

Maria
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/22/2013, 11:17 pm

Unit, the fence looks great. Just a suggestion, wire like this is almost as handy as duct tape:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weyerhaeuser-400-ft-16-5-Gauge-Rebar-Tie-Wire-05337/202094311#.UcZnTlV7P2E

I use it all the time fencing and securing things like chicken wire to t-posts Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 3170584802

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 6/22/2013, 11:48 pm

Rooster,

Is this the kind of wire called "bailing twine?" I heard a very funny song about that on "Prairie Home Companion" that described this as a miraculous substance with greater powers than plain old duct tape. http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2008/07/26/

Maria
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/23/2013, 12:05 am

Indeed! Very Happy

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/23/2013, 1:39 pm

WriterCPA wrote:Rooster,

Is this the kind of wire called "bailing twine?"  I heard a very funny song about that on "Prairie Home Companion" that described this as a miraculous substance with greater powers than plain old duct tape.  http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/programs/2008/07/26/

Maria

rofl
GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 6/24/2013, 8:17 pm

RoOsTeR,
Thanks for the info on that wire. I will get some.

WriterCPA,
That song is a hoot. Razz
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 8:25 pm

Just to be clear:

baling wire (what Rooster was referring to)
https://www.google.com/search?q=baling+wire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

bailing twine (what WriterCPA called it)
https://www.google.com/search?q=bailing+twine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

(at least  I think that's how the conversation went!)
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 6/24/2013, 8:31 pm

I found a really cute gate for my SFG fence, today at Home Depot for $14.95.  It is really a fence panel, I guess, but it is just the right size, and has the Rabbit Wire spacing.  I am thinking of attaching the chicken wire on the inside for extra protection. I guess RoOsTeR's wire would be good for that.

Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 20130617

Now how do I attach the gate to my green post?  There is a small lip/hook on the green post, and the gate has an open cylinder, but that will not hold very well and I want it to be secure and swing open easily.  Can I just drill some holes in both pieces and attach regular hinges?  Here is how both pieces look.
MadgeNeed Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 20130618
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 9:05 pm

What is your idea of 'regular hinges'?  Drilling holes in the post and frame will be no fun.

A male strap hinge might work. The smallest that I've seen is 1 3/8 inch, which is probably too big for your post, but you could squeeze the legs closer together.  Should be available at big box stores.
http://www.hooverfence.com/catalog/cpage16.htm
(The female hinge shown is 1 3/8 inch.  The male is one of the bigger sizes.)

A concrete J bolt
Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts J-bolt10
Could be attached with 2 hose clamps on each one.  Available at big box stores.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/24/2013, 9:31 pm

boffer wrote:Just to be clear:

baling wire (what Rooster was referring to)
https://www.google.com/search?q=baling+wire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

bailing twine (what WriterCPA called it)
https://www.google.com/search?q=bailing+twine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

(at least  I think that's how the conversation went!)

Nice catch on words. I missed the "twine" Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 2027012869

Unit, I've place a gate using rebar driven into the ground right up against the t-post and sliding the gate over the top. You would have to lift the gate a bit while opening, but it does work.
I do live out of town, so you will have to forgive some of my redneck ways, but they're easy options that don't really require any special tooling Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 1666079590

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 6/24/2013, 9:52 pm

RoOsTeR,
What a great idea! Rebar, why didn't I think of that?

I live in the city now, but was raised in the hills of Eastern KY. So I love to find ways to use stuff that I already have, or can get cheap. My grandparents saved everything, just in case they could use it one day. I wish I had space to do that, but we moved into a smaller house without stairs because of our bad knees, back, etc, and now there is no space to store things. But thankfully we have a large back yard.
Madge
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/24/2013, 9:52 pm

Re-bar works too!  Since you probably have to go to town to buy it, get 2 of these:
Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 00723010

They'll hold the re-bar to the post, so no digging, and when you position the clamps correctly, they'll support the gate off the ground.

(I don't live in town either, so my redneck fix is  to just use baling wire to tie the gate to the post Need Help, Chicken Wire Fence on Green U-Posts 931411784)
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 6/24/2013, 10:20 pm

boffer,
That looks perfect! I will look for it, thank you. Living in the city for the last 30 years, so I have a Lowes within a mile. Smile
Madge
unit649
unit649

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down