Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Toplef10Is It My Lights Or Something Else? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? I22gcj10Is It My Lights Or Something Else? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Toplef10Is It My Lights Or Something Else? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? I22gcj10Is It My Lights Or Something Else? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is It My Lights Or Something Else?

5 posters

Go down

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Empty Is It My Lights Or Something Else?

Post  twodaend 4/15/2013, 11:32 am

This is my first year starting seeds indoors and I've had mixed results. My peas are doing great, but everything is is grown very slow. Mostly they still have their true leaves and not much growth in nearly a month. i started all of my seeds in a Jiffy Seed Starter Kit with a heat mat below. Once germination started, I moved the started seeds under my lights.

I have 3 shop lights each with a daylight and a natural light bulb. My lights have been within 2 -3 inches of the tops since day one, but things like spinach, turnip, mustard, brocolli, etc have been very slow growing. My peas have shot up and I have to adjust their light higher almot daily. Over the last 2 days, I have begun to put my trays outside to see if some real sunlight will jump start them again, but with the weather, this will be a bit tricky over the next week.

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Img_1610

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Img_1611

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Img_1612

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Img_1613

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Img_1614
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? Empty Re: Is It My Lights Or Something Else?

Post  camprn 4/15/2013, 12:09 pm

Give them some weak liquid plant food, that should perk them up a bit. You didn't mention it, but what is the inside temperature? How far away from the lights are your plants?

I cannot see your photos when I am at work so my apologies if this is redundant.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is It My Lights Or Something Else? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend 4/15/2013, 12:19 pm

They are about 2 - 3 inches from the lights. The seedlings are in my basement so the temp is about 60 - 65 degrees or so. When they where on the heat mat, I had it set for 70 degrees for germination.

I'll try adding a little weak liquid plant food to see how that helps.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/15/2013, 12:39 pm

Your plants look like they have some yellow leaves? Do they?

Are you leaving your lights on long enough? Turning your light off for 8 hrs? Over or under watering? How often are you watering them? Hopefully, someone can comment on whether your light bulbs are strong enough. Your plants are definitely look a bit small. Im comparing my 3.5 week old broccoli pic to yours and my broccoli was growing its first true leaves at 3.5 weeks.

Im definitely no expert. This is my 2nd year growing from seed/ 1st year being successful. Gardening is definitely trial and error.

Edit to add that my avatar pic is my broccoli at 2 weeks old.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend 4/15/2013, 1:04 pm

Yea, a few leaves are yellow. I think I overwatered a few days ago, thinking I was not keeping them moist enough to grow. I have my lights on for 16 hrs a day and I recently put a small fan on the same timer.

Your 2 week old broccoli looks better than my month old broccoli.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/15/2013, 4:10 pm

Peas love natural day light and a nice damp pot of MM.
Even the best of artificial day light lamps will produce only a fraction ( around 1/8 th )of the UV and infra red light you get on an overcast day .

Harden them off on the porch for tow or thre days with them slightly dry , put them out so long as it is not frosty bring them in before it gets cold 45 to 50 OF is good kep them out of string sun and drying winds because those fibre pots act like wicks and will draw all the moisture out the MM , ( perhaps slip the who,e pot in a plastic pot as a sleeve ? ).

It's best to plant them out the pots and try to do it on a day when the temp is above 45 oF as they are reasonably hardy .
They will take a slight frosting for a few hours so the best thing is to cover them with a fleece overnight till you get to your average last frost day .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef 4/15/2013, 10:24 pm

I see you're using peat pots. I've noticed folks complaining that their plants' growth seems to be stunted when planted in them. I haven't noticed that from planting in the past, but I did notice that the plants that were planted in the garden that I didn't take out of the cup were a lot slower to establish than the ones I removed from the peat pot.

Also, 6500k bulbs are ideal when starting from seeds. The warmer bulbs help to are for flowering. Its not linear, but you could certainly increase your "effective" light by swapping the warm bulbs for 6500k bulbs.
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend 4/16/2013, 11:08 am

bwaynef wrote:I see you're using peat pots. I've noticed folks complaining that their plants' growth seems to be stunted when planted in them. I haven't noticed that from planting in the past, but I did notice that the plants that were planted in the garden that I didn't take out of the cup were a lot slower to establish than the ones I removed from the peat pot.

Also, 6500k bulbs are ideal when starting from seeds. The warmer bulbs help to are for flowering. Its not linear, but you could certainly increase your "effective" light by swapping the warm bulbs for 6500k bulbs.

Thanks bwaynef. I was thinking about switching to all 6500k bulbs. I'm going to do that as well as maybe restart half of them to see if I notice a difference.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend 4/23/2013, 10:29 am

I changed my lights to all 6500k bulbs and gave the seedlings some weak liquid plant food. It has made a difference as I do see a few new leaves coming in now. They are still a bit small, but I have noticed a slight difference. I also have put my seedlings tray outside in the sun when the temps are up which I think is helping too. I'm going to stick with what I have and see how much of a difference the new lights and food make.

Hopefully, this will be a good learning experience for next year.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/23/2013, 12:24 pm

twodaend wrote:I changed my lights to all 6500k bulbs and gave the seedlings some weak liquid plant food. It has made a difference as I do see a few new leaves coming in now. They are still a bit small, but I have noticed a slight difference. I also have put my seedlings tray outside in the sun when the temps are up which I think is helping too. I'm going to stick with what I have and see how much of a difference the new lights and food make.

Hopefully, this will be a good learning experience for next year.

Hope they perk up for you. Check out Maxicrop seaweed for fert. I started using it on my house plants and noticed a big difference.
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down