Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hardening off - when working full time? Toplef10Hardening off - when working full time? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hardening off - when working full time? I22gcj10Hardening off - when working full time? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hardening off - when working full time? Toplef10Hardening off - when working full time? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hardening off - when working full time? I22gcj10Hardening off - when working full time? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 5:24 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hardening off - when working full time?

+8
Coelli
plantoid
yolos
CapeCoddess
quiltbea
camprn
Goosegirl
treefrog62
12 posters

Go down

Hardening off - when working full time? Empty Hardening off - when working full time?

Post  treefrog62 4/8/2013, 9:26 am

Okay, I'm hoping I can get some advice on how to plan the hardening off process, when I work full time. Does anyone have a plan that they have used successfully?

I don't feel as if just an hour early in the morning (7-8:00 am), or even the few hours after I get home from work (6:00 pm or so) is going to be adequate after the first few days (not counting the weekends, which will be no problem). I'm wondering if I need to take some time off work, which I could do. My boyfriend will be able to assist some - although I don't know how reliable he will be. I think he gets up around 11-noon, so he could bring plants in or put them out. I just don't think this is going to provide enough of a gradual timing to work effectively.
treefrog62
treefrog62

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Hardening off - when working full time? Empty Re: Hardening off - when working full time?

Post  Goosegirl 4/8/2013, 9:28 am

I wish you success! Hardening off while working F/T has always been my downfall.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Hardening off - when working full time? Empty Re: Hardening off - when working full time?

Post  camprn 4/8/2013, 9:28 am

Put your plants outside under a table or a shrub, where they can get some air and sunlight, but wont bake all day in the sun.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Hardening off - when working full time? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/8/2013, 9:52 am

+1

When you leave for work, place them in a shady spot and put them in the sun when you get home.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/8/2013, 10:34 am

I totally understand you frustration, treefrog62. I've been putting my summer veggies out when I'm at home, but today is the first time I'm leaving them out while I'm at work. I put them on an area of the lawn next to a cedar hedge that was in full morning sun when I left and will be dappled in an hour or so, then fully shaded til I get home mid afternoon for lunch. My concern is the wind, but it seems mellow today.

I'm like a nervous mother who's kid is at his first of school. pale

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/8/2013, 10:42 am

Put them under a tree or on one side of the house so they get morning sun but not afternoon sun to start with. Then gradually move them out of the shaded area a little further everyday so they can eventually get full sun all day.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/8/2013, 12:43 pm

Harden off on the weekend when you can be about to move or water them etc.
two day of hardening off should be OK for most plants , plant up on the sunday evening .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 4/8/2013, 2:10 pm

I have put mine in a clear plastic storage box with burlap over the top when away at work - or under any sort of support where I could put the burlap over it. I feel your pain. Smile A couple of times I've just thrown caution to the winds and stuck them outside if the weather was warm (easier to do here in CA).
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 4/8/2013, 2:29 pm

{None Constructive Post}

My hardening off involves planting them, watering them in and walking back inside. I'm a cruel man.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/8/2013, 6:57 pm

Unmutual wrote:{None Constructive Post}

My hardening off involves planting them, watering them in and walking back inside. I'm a cruel man.

I like your methods!

Hardening off - when working full time? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 4/8/2013, 7:38 pm

To me, this was one of the most difficult parts of starting my own seed this year- other than waiting for them to germinate!!! I put them on my front porch which is shaded the entire day, then took Rooster's advise and put them under the shade trees in our backyard where they received a little more sun. I did move them further out into the yard away from the trees and where they could receive more sun every couple of days. All in all, I think it took about 1 1/2 weeks and, now that they're all planted, they're doing great.
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  edfhinton 4/8/2013, 8:52 pm

I'm hoping it will work to use my sun room for a week with the sliders open during the day to keep it from getting too warm but get fresh air flow. The sun angles changing over the day will provide more sun in the morning and lots of shade in the afternoon. Then after this for several days I hope to use a weekend to move them outside for several hours on a Saturday and Sunday and then finally in the ground on the Sunday evening.

The peas and onions will get to find out how this goes over the next two weeks. The peas are already living in the sun room this way and they grew about another inch and a half in the last 36 hours after initally drooping a bit. They are pushing 6 to 7 inches now so the sooner the beds are ready the better or they will outgrow the bamboo skewers I have with them.

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down