Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 Toplef10vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 I22gcj10vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 Toplef10vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 I22gcj10vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Vertically Growing Summer Squash

+11
audrey.jeanne.roberts
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
efnjim
NAR56
elliephant
Lemonie
johnp
JackieB999
jmsieglaff
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 Empty Re: Vertically Growing Summer Squash

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/1/2013, 7:01 pm

Here's a photo of the spaghetti squash today - not a great one, sorry!  But you can see how large the squash are already and the stems holding the fruit are over an inch thick.

These are horizontal wires stretched between two 7' fence posts.  They are about 10 inches apart all the way up the post.  

vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 <a href=vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 Sp-sq-Oct1-13_zps53acc91d" />
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 Empty Re: Vertically Growing Summer Squash

Post  Marc Iverson 10/1/2013, 9:17 pm

wow, very nice. Squash is so heavy that it can be very pricey at the store, sold by the pound. That makes it a very high "return on your money," or ground space, crop that I wish I had more success on.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/1/2013, 9:59 pm

My spaghetti vines are pushing 5'.  I have no idea what I'm doing Embarassed but if I can get one or two little fruit from each I will be ecstatic.  They have PM and I'm spaying almost daily with baking soda with Neem every few days.  Paint brush at the ready. The butternut is only about 1 foot but the stake is ready for it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/1/2013, 10:00 pm

sanderson wrote:My spaghetti vines are pushing 5'.  I have no idea what I'm doing Embarassed but if I can get one or two little fruit from each I will be ecstatic.  They have PM and I'm spaying almost daily with baking soda with Neem every few days.  Paint brush at the ready. The butternut is only about 1 foot but the stake is ready for it.
Audrey, Do you clip or tie up the vines?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/1/2013, 11:04 pm

Yours are still growing, sanderson? I've been thinking of pulling mine out.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/1/2013, 11:31 pm

I just planted them! Maybe, like 3 weeks ago?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/1/2013, 11:43 pm

Oh yeah, you live in Fresno! Not quite the threat of snow I've gotten used to thinking about up here in Oregon.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/2/2013, 12:48 am

I'm up the mountain from Sanderson about 45 minutes. We're about 1500 ft elevation so we get freezes and every couple years some snow.

I do not tie the spaghetti squash at all. It is vigorous and spreads itself and holds on. I will wrap it around the wire as it's growing and make sure the fruit is hanging in a good spot. I give it a lot of room and plan shorter things under it so it spread probably 10-12 feet. I've not trimmed it much unless it's crowding out something near by.

I lost my Sp. Sq. last year to Powdery Mildew, but I've had none of it this year. I'm not sure why no big problem this year when last was so bad, the only think I can think of that's really different is I'm using a deep mulch so there is no soil coming in contact with the plants and the sp. squash is actually growing in a straw bale, not soil. Though the bale has composted down to the ground.

I have had a touch of PM on some cukes, but I've been looking for it every day and been able to simply pick off the leaves and then it will be a week or so before I see another.

The way the trellis is set up, I will be able to cover these with blankets and plastic to try and extend them as far as possible. I will get likely get at least 1/2 of the fruit to ripen - fingers crossed.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2013, 2:04 am

Why did I think butternut and spaghetti were winter squash?  Embarassed  I'm going to have to get a trellis instead of using 1 x 2 stakes.  Good grief!  Maybe DH can make the stakes into a trellis with extra cross stakes.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/2/2013, 5:03 am

They are winter squash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_squash
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2013, 12:51 pm

Marc, Thank you.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/5/2013, 8:38 pm

Well.... Pride goes before a fall... literally!

One of my spaghetti squash fell off the vine today.  I has to be 5 or 6 lbs and is still green.  Does anyone know if it will ripen by itself?  What if I put it in a bag with some ripening tomatoes and just keep changing out the tomatoes?  

Bummer!  I normally entwine the vines manually around the wire supports and missed this one.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/5/2013, 9:48 pm

The spaghetti squash will still taste good cooked green. They do keep ripening after picked, to a degree. It must depend on how mature they were when they got detached from the vine. 5/6 pounds sounds pretty mature...... I would not bother trying to use tomatoes to ripen it, just let it sit and use it before ones you feel are more definitively ripened.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/23/2013, 1:50 am

The frost killed the Spaghetti vines so I harvested the squash. The 2 light green ones with hard skins are still siting pretty on the counter. The third was delicious baked with oil, salt and pepper. PM was rampant but the squash unaffected??!!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 12/24/2013, 1:58 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Well.... Pride goes before a fall... literally!

One of my spaghetti squash fell off the vine today.  I has to be 5 or 6 lbs and is still green.  Does anyone know if it will ripen by itself?  What if I put it in a bag with some ripening tomatoes and just keep changing out the tomatoes?  

Bummer!  I normally entwine the vines manually around the wire supports and missed this one.

I harvested my spaghetti squash easily about 2 months ago. Grew 'em up a cattle panel trellis arch. They were so green people thought they were watermelon. A hard frost was coming so I had to take the chance and just cut them down and see what would happen. I just put them in a plastic tub in DH's office and waited. Lo and behold, they're almost all yellow now. I just gave one away to a friend, and will probably bake one this weekend. HTH.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/24/2013, 4:11 pm

mollyhespra wrote:
audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:Well.... Pride goes before a fall... literally!

I harvested my spaghetti squash easily about 2 months ago.  Grew 'em up a cattle panel trellis arch.  They were so green people thought they were watermelon.  A hard frost was coming so I had to take the chance and just cut them down and see what would happen.  I just put them in a plastic tub in DH's office and waited.  Lo and behold, they're almost all yellow now.  I just gave one away to a friend, and will probably bake one this weekend.  HTH.
I forgot about this post!  I left that squash on top of the trellis (on a 4" wide board on top) and let it ripen in the sun.  We ate it a couple months later it was just as good as the rest of them.  So with both of our experiences being positive hopefully that will help someone down the road  Laughing
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 12/24/2013, 10:39 pm

Ooops!  Embarassed  I didn't notice the date of your post!

Ah, well. Like you said, maybe it will be helpful to someone else.  vertical squash - Vertically Growing Summer Squash - Page 2 3170584802 
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2